Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig M11-A1

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Just curious, why do you prefer the 228 over the 229?
    I'm not Jeep, but I share his opinion. For ME, it's about "balance" and "feel." The P228 balances and points beautifully. The P229, with its considerably heavier slide, feels "dead" in my hand - I think because of the significant increase in weight in the back of the slide. Oddly enough, I'm on exactly the opposite side of the fence on the P226 - I strongly prefer the feel and balance of newer, solid slide P226s than the older folded slides.

Regards,

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Just curious, why do you prefer the 228 over the 229?
    It's one of those hard-to-explain "feel" things. I think, as others say, that it is the extra weight of the 229 slide on a compact pistol that already (to me) feels a bit off balance. I really like the feel of the 226--which to me is one of the best pistols ever made. I am one of the few who actually like the 228 a bit less than the 226, and--again for me--the 229 falls well below the 228.

That being said, if I were going to go out and buy a .40 I'd either get a 229 or an M&P because they seem to tame recoil for me best in that caliber.

I wish I could explain it better, and perhaps it is all in my head. But you might want to check all three out before you make your decision because you might find that you notice an appreciable difference as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    It's one of those hard-to-explain "feel" things. I think, as others say, that it is the extra weight of the 229 slide on a compact pistol that already (to me) feels a bit off balance. I really like the feel of the 226--which to me is one of the best pistols ever made. I am one of the few who actually like the 228 a bit less than the 226, and--again for me--the 229 falls well below the 228.

That being said, if I were going to go out and buy a .40 I'd either get a 229 or an M&P because they seem to tame recoil for me best in that caliber.

I wish I could explain it better, and perhaps it is all in my head. But you might want to check all three out before you make your decision because you might find that you notice an appreciable difference as well.
    I totally agree with you in your assessment of the ability to handle .40 S&W. Nothing tames it better than the P229 or the M&P full size. I carried the P229R .40 DAK from 2004 to 2013.

Thanks for the input guys. I've already got the 228 (current EDC, actually) which I got a good deal on, though what I was really looking for at the time was a 226. I know a lot of people prefer the 228s though and I wasn't sure exactly why. "Hard to explain 'feel' thing" pretty much sums it up I think--the 229s, in retrospect, always kind of felt chunky.

Added the E2 one piece grip to my M11-A1, much better.
    No annoying grip screws and I like the slimmer profile.
    Another bonus is the short trigger finger pinch went away.
    Only downside is I'm back to the slide only locking back on empty 50% of the time.
    I can live with that.
    I'll be using it in ECQC this weekend, should be fun.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    I ran the E2 grips with an X5 release, it worked quite well. It extends forward, rather than backwards, and gives a lot more room for your grip.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-slid...8-p229-e2.html

The X5 slide release should be standard on the 226/228/229 series of pistols. I found it interesting that when Sig first came out with the E2 series guns their advertisements/product literature had the X5 release pictured.

http://www.sigsauerguns.com/product-...now-available/

If you want controls that never get in the way call Sig and get a set from the p224, almost Glockish in size. The slide release and decocking lever work great on my 228, very slim and out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by mbacker_99 View Post
    The X5 slide release should be standard on the 226/228/229 series of pistols.
    Amen. I have a slide catch lever waiting to be modded. He's already cut down the take down lever and everything should fit.

• It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Added the E2 one piece grip to my M11-A1, much better.
    No annoying grip screws and I like the slimmer profile.
    Another bonus is the short trigger finger pinch went away.
    Only downside is I'm back to the slide only locking back on empty 50% of the time.
    I can live with that.
    I'll be using it in ECQC this weekend, should be fun.
    Am I correct in assuming that the issue is with your right hand thumb? Have you tried crossing it over your left thumb?

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas View Post
    Am I correct in assuming that the issue is with your right hand thumb? Have you tried crossing it over your left thumb?
    Don't really care about the slide lock.
    My grip is the way I like it and I'm not going to compromise it because of a minor thing like a failure to lock back on empty.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List