Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical training for the CCW holder

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    You are not going to get the average CCW type (who doesn't even carry his or her gun most of the time) to take judo classes. To return to the OP, you might get them to take some easy escape combatives (like the RAD classes). Yes, I took Judo a thousand years ago. Probably wouldn't do that now anymore - sigh. I do recall thinking in a FOF a year or two ago, that my 'attacker' was set up for a move. However, I verbally convinced him to leave me alone. I also could have 'shot' him but my verbal skills managed to move him out of the path to the door and assuage his anger. Worked out better than front fall, side fall, back fall - oh, my poor old knees now.

Not putting down such training but returning to the motivation of the average folks and cross that with physical ability of most as we age. That will determine whether you might be the older or middle aged average CCW person to engage in such.
    I concur. The VA says there's nothing wrong with me, but they should try and tackle stairs when the arthritis and bursitis are acting up.
    And while the "typical" concealed carry permit holder may not be wheelchair bound or have similar disabilities, what do you tell them?
    OTOH, in one of my earliest blog posts (The Clue Meter: But will it replace shuffleboard?) I linked to a Wall Street Journal article entitled Everybody Is 'Cane Fu' Fighting At Senior Centers, So Watch Out - WSJ. (Old enough that it's out from behind the pay wall. There were videos, to, but I lost track of them.)
    Apparently, some Senior Centers are teaching escrima. Which might work for some seniors and others with disabilities.

One thing I worry about is that talk of what training someone with a carry permit "should" get will lead to an impression that "If they don't, they shouldn't carry." (Note: NOT saying anyone here believes or suggested that.)
    Myself, I think Eddie Eagle should be required in elementary schools, and Home Firearm Safety in Junior High, but after that, anything else should be "encouraged" but optional.
    (Private ranges should be tax-exempt, to encourage safe firearms handling!)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    what do you tell them?
    I think you tell them, more than any other single thing, is to pull their head out of their ass.

I work in an urban downtown environment with a corner office where I can see a pretty major downtown street, and it is flabbergasting how oblivious these people are. I have watched people walk right out in front of cars, sometimes while not even being on/looking at their phones!

I keep going back to the idea that the best way to avoid a problem is to not do stupid shit with stupid people in stupid places. Even good people who have had to use guns or other means to defend themselves have violated one or more of those rules. They are at an ATM at 1 AM. Or they went with their wife's sister to go get her TV back from her methed-up boyfriend, or whatever.

That's the best thing I've learned from being involved in the shooting community over the years. Watch other people. Keep an eye on your surroundings. Try to face the door. Be super judgmental about the other people you come across in day to day life (looks like thug, probably is thug), etc. THAT's the kind of thing we should probably be trying to "train" the average CCWer on. It's what I've tried to get various women in my life over the years to understand and modify their behavior.

Ok, please bear with me for a second, I'd like to post a follow up. This relates to the judo /grappling thing, or maybe just before things get to even that point.

Say the scenarios are, in escalating order::

1 - unknown person (UP) is sighted, picked up because SA is high. (E.g. Loitering in a parking garage)

2 - UP does something "unusual" or out of line with "normal", but not perceived as threatening (yet). (E.g. "Hey, have you got the time, Bro?")

3 - UP THEN says or does something threatening. ("Hey, that's a nice Rolex, Bro.")

So what I'm interested in, again, as an 'average CCW holder', is training to deal with this particular phase of the encounter.

Questions like:

How do you keep SA high? Are there things / techniques an average citizen can do specifically? (Scenario 1)

Is there anything one can do to deal with 'unusual' behavior that is not threatening? Create space? Turn, stop and keep under visual? (Scenario 2)

Ok, so (Scenario 3), what do I say to make this UP back off? when do I reveal I have a pistol? When do I place my hand on the grip? When do I draw, aim, and start the trigger press?

Is there a course that teaches this kind of stuff? I guess it might not be 'tactics' I guess, but as an average CCW holder these are the things I'm interested in knowing.

Thanks. Awesome thread.

Rich

Site Supporter
    LLando,

You are exactly describing the curriculum of Southnarc's Managing Unknown Contacts course work. MUC is a must do class for anyone serious about self defense.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I have about 1 millionth the credibility of Tom Givens but I would say exactly the same thing. If I hadn't read his post I would have typed the following:

"You are describing EXACTLY what Southnarc's MUC segments teach. Check out an ECQC class for sure."
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    LLando,

You are exactly describing the curriculum of Southnarc's Managing Unknown Contacts course work. MUC is a must do class for anyone serious about self defense.
    Ty Sir.

I did some googling and came away mighty impressed with some of the videos and interviews SN's courses are featured in, but wasn't quite sure how they fit in.

Definitely will look into this. Much obliged.

Rich

Here's a .pdf on "MUC" written by the man himself:

http://modern-prepper.com/download/t...20Contacts.pdf
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Here's a .pdf on "MUC" written by the man himself:

http://modern-prepper.com/download/t...20Contacts.pdf
    Thank you so much. Was wondering what this MUC I keep seeing was.

Great practical reference. Lot of answers to my questions there. Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
    Thank you so much. Was wondering what this MUC I keep seeing was.

Great practical reference. Lot of answers to my questions there. Appreciate it.
    Yeah, around here its like being at a Stars Trek convention when you don't speak Klingon......or was that Star Wars...?
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I think you tell them, more than any other single thing, is to pull their head out of their ass.
    You ain't kidding. I spent a few days in Chicago out by Ohare a few weeks ago. One night I took the blue line to meet my niece further into the city. As I stood at the platform I lost count of the people that I could have cold cocked, sucker punched, pushed onto the tracks, or ripped their purses/murses with near impunity.

Virtually everyone had their head up their collective asses either daydreaming with earbuds in or engrossed in some trivial bullshit on their phone.

User Tag List