Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: History of using layers of denim in balistic testing?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Uh, perhaps that is why different types of material and different thicknesses were tested until one (4LD) was found that correlated with real world events...
    Yes--which is why it seems to me to be more than just an engineering standard--it is an engineering standard developed after long testing, and it is used not only for comparison purposes but because it works as a very good predictor of real world results regardless of the actual clothing someone is wearing. (Which is why a different test is not necessary for Miami or Nome).

Uh, perhaps that is why different types of material and different thicknesses were tested until one (4LD) was found that correlated with real world events...
    During the test creation and since has there been any false negatives where a bullet worked very will in real world shootings but didn't do so well on the test? And if so did you/they isolate why the false negative happened (i.e. certain type or shape of bullet at a certain velocity)?
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Nope--vast majority are just like the test. Keep in mind that with good shot placement, even a .380 FMJ works fine.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Nope--vast majority are just like the test. Keep in mind that with good shot placement, even a .380 FMJ works fine.
    You of course are correct about shot placement. I just was curious about this subject, that I don't know much about.

Can you recommend any in print books on the subject as an overview of testing and how modern bullets have been manipulated to meet the tests criteria?
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Sadly, no such book exists on this arcane subject.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Getting ahold of old copies of the IWBA journals, if you can find some, and looking through Firearms Tactical's site is my off the top suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Getting ahold of old copies of the IWBA journals, if you can find some, and looking through Firearms Tactical's site is my off the top suggestion.
    Finding them is next to impossible. The only book I found was Macpherson's and it is out of print and stuck in folks libraries. (:

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    Finding them is next to impossible. The only book I found was Macpherson's and it is out of print and stuck in folks libraries. (:
    I was lucky to find a place selling new books for 35.00 a couple of years ago. They are sold out.

Kindle Edition Amazon.

Man, I must be getting old. I looked there first and didn't see it. KIndle is real easy.

Thanks

User Tag List