Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W 442 Failure

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'm guessing "green" primers in your ammo.
    Probably done on purpose or by mistake during the "great ammo famine of 2013-2014" when primers and powder were scarce and manufacturers were shoving bullets into cases willy nilly.
    I've seen a lot of weird ammo over the past year and a half or so.
    I completely agree. Especially with people I know who shoot commercially remanufactured stuff. That is exactly the reason why I roll my own when ever possible. Unless we're talking defensive loads. That way I know exactly what is going through my guns. If I have an issue I can source back everything to a brand, lot number, purchase date and location.

Skintop911 I seriously hope you get your replacement soon.

Site Supporter
    Probably done on purpose or by mistake during the "great ammo famine of 2013-2014" when primers and powder were scarce and manufacturers were shoving bullets into cases willy nilly.
    I've seen a lot of weird ammo over the past year and a half or so.
    Normally the brass for "green" ammo I've seen has larger flash holes to accomodate the "green" primers. What would happen if you put green primers in brass with standard flash holes ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Skintop911 I seriously hope you get your replacement soon.
    Skintop,

My understanding is S&W makes the no lock guns in batches - if they don't have any in stock they may be waiting for the no lock next production run.

FYI on ammo. This was a project gun as well as an EDC, so I kept a data book. Ammo ran the gamut. Here's the basic list.

CCI Blazer 158 TMJ +P
    Speer 135 GDHP +P
    Black Hills Ammunition 148 HBWC, 158 RNL (.38 LC), 158 SWC, 125 GDHP +P
    Winchester 130 FMJ (USA), 110 STHP
    Corbon 110 DPX, 80gr Glaser
    Federal 130 FMJ RTP
    PMC 132 FMJ
    Magtech 158 LRN
    Ultramax 148 HBWC, 158 SWC
    Herters 158 FMJ
    S&B 158 FMJ
    3D 148 HBWC
    Hornady 110 Critical Defense
    Remington 101 Disintegrator Frang

The Remington Disintegrator (#LF38SA) is a lead free frangible, and the only green load on the list. Total for that load was 25 rounds. That list is also similar to what at least one other J shot during that time, which shows no issues.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Normally the brass for "green" ammo I've seen has larger flash holes to accomodate the "green" primers. What would happen if you put green primers in brass with standard flash holes ?
    An eco-friendly misfire?

A click, but no kumbaya?

Or the primer doesn't seat deep enough and will drag on the frame of the revolver giving you a....

Hippie Hangup!!

Okay, I'm done.

While that may be a possibility with my G19, as it has fired a lot of agency supplied factory ammunition, the HK45C has had very little factory stuff through it; perhaps 200 rounds of Remington ball in the green and white box, and another 120 rounds or so of HST and SXT; the rest of the 10K+ rounds has been my reloads, using WLP, Federal, and CCI large pistol primers. If I was getting primer blow-by, I would have seen it on the case heads. The pits on the HK breech face are scattered over the entire surface where the case head impacts, while the actual holes and deep pits in the G19's breech face are clustered around the striker opening. The striker/firing pin on both pistols are unblemished; which pretty much kills the green primer theory, as a trashed striker/firing pin is a trademark of that issue as I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    Don't be so sure....I had a heavily modified G21 frame once that was having some issues & they took it back, replaced it, no questions asked. I thought for sure I was on my own because I had removed the finger grooves & stippled it, but they didn't say a word about it.
    You might be right... but seeing as this slide has "Bowie Tactical Concepts" stamped on it very prominently... dunno.

In any event, I have others that are fine if I elect to go back to using these. The damaged one still works, so its in sort of "live storage" for that proverbial rainy day... anyway, glad they did the right thing for you. I'm just not going to potentially waste the time and postage for them to tell me tough bananas.

After all, Glocks- even one that is highly customized- are disposable pistols, right?

Whatever the cause, it affected the frame and the bushing, so I doubt it's an issue with the bushing's metallurgy alone.

Something impinged, eroded or corroded that area.
    As has been pointed out the bushing and the frame both show damage so you can probably rule out a materials defect.
    I'm guessing hot gasses or hot gasses plus particles blowing past the primer or a really nasty corrosive leaking from the primers or maybe a chemical reaction between some primer material and a lubricant or cleaner you used.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Something impinged, eroded or corroded that area.
    As has been pointed out the bushing and the frame both show damage so you can probably rule out a materials defect.
    I'm guessing hot gasses or hot gasses plus particles blowing past the primer or a really nasty corrosive leaking from the primers or maybe a chemical reaction between some primer material and a lubricant or cleaner you used.
    Concur

User Tag List