Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How Not To Conduct A Traffic Stop

For me personally, I keep a set of HATCH gloves (provided by my agency) close by. I wear them some times but other times I dont. If I have an opportunity to put them on before searching some one then I do. Looking at the video, I would be out of line to guess at his mindset and why he put on gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Garner View Post
    He probably will. I can definetly see a Communicating Threats charge.
    Yeah, I got curious and looked after commenting, and it appears OH assault law requires actually inflicting physical harm. I'm used to GA law where simply putting a reasonable person in fear of being harmed is enough to catch a simple assault charge.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Actually, the guy is being charged because he did indeed shut up when told to by the officer. If you peruse the Ohio CCW forums, this seems to be a trend where the officer will charge you with "failure to disclose" if you do not immediately disclose that you are carrying. In one case, a man carrying was charged because it took him 54 seconds to be able to make himself heard. Case was dismissed.

As always, it's not black and white. Truth is in shades of gray quite often. If you peruse the Ohio CCW forums, you will see several cases of professional, courteous, and laudable conduct by officers dealing with armed citizens. There might be even one we know
    I was referring to 90% of his speech, which was after the event of him finally being able to announce he had a CCW permit and was armed.....the officer already made up his mind. Short of jedi mind tricks, you're not convincing the officer otherwise. Best to invoke your 5th and keep yourself from getting into more trouble by misspeaking, is what I was getting it.

I'm not purpoting that anyone should break the law or be uncompliant in the face of a lawful order.

I have a buddy that used to be in Suicide Charlie at the stumps from 1998-2002. My oh my...from what I gather the view on water supply/hydration in the Corps has changed dramatically since then!

"But Gunny, we have no more water!"

"What you need more? Shouldn't have drank it all. It's called discipline. How'bout you get some more of that?!"

I've seen a lot of good Marines leave the Corps because of idiotic SNCOs.
    #RESIST

That LEO has some... issues.
    If this happened to me, I'd probably be dead right now.
    I have a slow fuse followed by a very impressive explosion, behavior like he displayed punches all my buttons and my temper would have gotten the best of me.
    That's why videos such as this scare the crap out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Garner View Post
    Looking at the video, I would be out of line to guess at his mindset and why he put on gloves.
    THIS. I will say that I use gloves in the summer when it's hot and muggy on occasion because sweaty hands and sweaty body parts can make it difficult to gain control of a resisting suspect.

I showed this to a mixed bag of officers at my PD. Command staff, sergeants, detectives and officers. All expressed disbelief and outrage. This kind of behavior will NOT be tolerated at my agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    Exactly how does this cop expect any of his future use of force incidents to be handled?
    In my opinion, he's now a liability to his partners and his department.

If he shoots someone, right or wrong, this is going to be in the media, and in front of the jury in a criminal or civil trial.

Even if it's kosher, he's said on camera, in uniform, in the course of his duty, that he's beat/execute someone - "So, you executed him, Officer?" goes the cross examination...then down hill.

Further, he's probably badly alienated members of the community the police don't want to alienate - voters. You can antagonize the shit-bags all you want to within reason...but he's going to be the cause of a lot of letters to the mayor, attendance at town meetings and lobbying at the legislature.

He's toast. He needs to retire, and the police in his area need to understand how badly he's damaged their ability to deal with the public.

To some degree or another, the police depend on people in the community to tell them things. Which way did he go...did you see this person...have you seen the missing kid...

What happens when the answer defaults to "Am I free to leave?", "I don't want to talk to you" or "Lawyer".

Good luck on that PD the next time they need public cooperation.
    This is an excellent post. I tell my rookies time and time again. If you screw up, admit it. DO NOT, under any circumstances try to dissemble or outright lie about the incident. Tell the truth. It may hurt, but your integrity/honesty cannot later be attacked. Once your credibility can be attacked with justification, you're worthless. Especially since the Prosecution has a duty to inform the defense of misconduct in your personnel file or risk a Brady violation.

Quote Originally Posted by Xpd54 View Post
    Especially since the Prosecution has a duty to inform the defense of misconduct in your personnel file or risk a Brady violation.
    Since when does that ever stop a prosecutor from putting on a bad witness?

Putting on a dirtbag bad witness is one thing. But a cop who has this on his record? Don't think it'll happen around here. I've seen em cut deals or refuse cases due to the officer. And that's not because of misconduct like this.

What sucks is even if he's fired initially due to the incident he'll probably be rehired by an arbitrator, pressure from his union or just sign on to another agency. It happens all the time.

He needs to be behind bars for making terroristic threats like any citizen would be and not on a paid vacation.

User Tag List