Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How Not To Conduct A Traffic Stop

Exactly how does this cop expect any of his future use of force incidents to be handled?
    In my opinion, he's now a liability to his partners and his department.

If he shoots someone, right or wrong, this is going to be in the media, and in front of the jury in a criminal or civil trial.

Even if it's kosher, he's said on camera, in uniform, in the course of his duty, that he's beat/execute someone - "So, you executed him, Officer?" goes the cross examination...then down hill.

Further, he's probably badly alienated members of the community the police don't want to alienate - voters. You can antagonize the shit-bags all you want to within reason...but he's going to be the cause of a lot of letters to the mayor, attendance at town meetings and lobbying at the legislature.

He's toast. He needs to retire, and the police in his area need to understand how badly he's damaged their ability to deal with the public.

To some degree or another, the police depend on people in the community to tell them things. Which way did he go...did you see this person...have you seen the missing kid...

What happens when the answer defaults to "Am I free to leave?", "I don't want to talk to you" or "Lawyer".

Good luck on that PD the next time they need public cooperation.

Per the Canton PD's facebook page the officer has been removed from duty and internal affairs has begun an investigation.

Good roll call video of what not to do. This discussion keeps coming up at work. In the Oceanside video, was the guy CCWing? At any rate, that Cop nailed it. Youtube, here he comes!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Garner View Post
    Good roll call video of what not to do. This discussion keeps coming up at work. In the Oceanside video, was the guy CCWing? At any rate, that Cop nailed it. Youtube, here he comes!
    He was unloaded open carrying as per CA's retarded laws.
    #RESIST

The officer has been suspended. Probably with pay.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    He was unloaded open carrying as per CA's retarded laws.
    Ah, ok. I was thinking that if he was CCWing he had to show proof of his identity and the permit.

If he was suspended then he will be paid until IA finishes its review. Then he will be fired (or asked to resign). He's an idiot. If my rookie did that I'd have his ass on a skillet. In our society, interacting with citizens and legal gun possession should be a no brainer. Stuff like this is what makes it hard for civilians to trust what we LEO's do and/or say.

This LEO should have known his camera was on. I can not figure why he acted like that. Officer safety is 1 thing but he lost it. That's an epic failure on his part.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 07-21-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling

From an LEO at the Ohio CCW forums:

I actually had to watch this video twice, I just couldn't believe it the first time. I've sent this to several OPOTA trainers to be used as a how "NOT TO" for their classes. That being said what your seeing here is a systemic problem, it's not just the officer! You also need to investigate the chain of command starting with his immediate supervisor. Officers don't get like this overnight, it happens slowly over time. A wink and a nod when there are a few too many bumps, or not correcting behavior when necessary leads to what we have here. I knew there were going to be problems when Ofc. "Knuckles" get's out of the car with gloves on. He's been doing this for way too long and getting away with it, he would try that on my side of town and get several senior officers riding him hard (and that's before the sergeant gets a shot at him.)

I think your going to find that you have several failures to supervise in the chain and/or no supervision at all, that's the only way I can see this happening. And the other officer is on the hook for not taking control of the situation and sending knuckles back to the car for a time out (And yes I've done this.) I just don't really have the time to go through this minute by minute, the IA package would make war and peace look like a dime store novel.

I need an aspirin ....
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Garner View Post
    If he was suspended then he will be paid until IA finishes its review. Then he will be fired (or asked to resign). He's an idiot. If my rookie did that I'd have his ass on a skillet.
    I'm all for giving officers benefit of the doubt and a certain amount of leeway, but, IMO, he's getting off easy with anything less than an assault charge from the video I just watched.

Quote Originally Posted by jslaker View Post
    I'm all for giving officers benefit of the doubt and a certain amount of leeway, but, IMO, he's getting off easy with anything less than an assault charge from the video I just watched.
    He probably will. I can definetly see a Communicating Threats charge. What ever happens, his LEO career should be over.

Do you LEOs think he donned the gloves for a reason related to beating suspects as the offer above insinuates that I quoted?
    #RESIST

User Tag List