Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 50-60 round fundamental carbine drill set

50-60 round fundamental carbine drill set

Okay, I'm looking for a drill or set of drills that runs about 50-60 rounds per session that I can use to build my carbine fundamentals. Something kind of like doing some Bill Drills, 2R2's and El-Presidente's for a pistol, but for an AR. I have my own range set up, and can shoot out to about 125 yards. 50-60 rounds 2-4 times a month is about all I'm able to invest in carbine training if I'm going to continue to work on improving my pistol shooting and other stuff.

I'm also figuring on working the carbine stuff as defensive only, so I really don't need a full on 3 Gun Competition program. My competitive shooting plate is pretty full working on USPSA.

So, I'd love to hear drills, start positions for them, positions they're shot from (standing, sitting, kneeling, prone, etc) accuracy goals and PAR times, and distances.

Thanks for any advice.

The VTAC 1/2 & 1/2 drill would be one of the drills I would add to your sessions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-oYRn_llgo

The 1/2 & 1/2 is a great carbine drill, but I don't think I'd recommend it within the context of the above parameters.

Okay, I'm looking for a drill or set of drills that runs about 50-60 rounds per session that I can use to build my carbine fundamentals.
    50-60 rounds 2-4 times a month is about all I'm able to invest in carbine training if I'm going to continue to work on improving my pistol shooting and other stuff.
    I'm also figuring on working the carbine stuff as defensive only, so I really don't need a full on 3 Gun Competition program. My competitive shooting plate is pretty full working on USPSA.

Perhaps a discussion of what you realistically feel your defensive uses of your carbine may look like can lead to more specific advice on some practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Perhaps a discussion of what you realistically feel your defensive uses of your carbine may look like can lead to more specific advice on some practice.

Pretty much entirely in-home. I won't be having it around in the truck with me or anything like that, and I'm a private citizen, non-LE not military. I've got a Colt 6520 that I swapped out the carry handle upper for a flat-top, added a rail, VFG, light, Aimpoint, sling, and flip up Troy Rear.

The only realistic scenario I can see myself employing the carbine would be in the event of home invasion. So I guess that further narrows "defensive use" down to "home defensive use." Hope this helps to clarify my OP, which is a bit vague.

Paul Howe's rifle standards are 34 rds of rifle and one pistol round. If you shot the standards and then used your remaining rounds to practice your "no go's" you'd be pretty good. When you pass the standards reliably, use a target with a smaller hit zone.

Also, what would the carbine version of "the test" be? 8 rds in 10 seconds at 50 yards on a bullseye?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Also, what would the carbine version of "the test" be? 8 rds in 10 seconds at 50 yards on a bullseye?
    I'm liking the sound of this.
    #RESIST

Well, first we'd need to define what The Test actually tests, then develop an analogy for carbine.

I've always considered The Test as a test of trigger control. Trigger control with a pistol is a function of strong, proper grip and aggressive (committed), controlled trigger manipulation.

The analogy with a carbine IMO is neither the actual grip on the pistol grip nor the actual trigger manipulation, but the strength and neutrality of the mount.

Upon reflection, I think the middle stage of the 1/2 & 1/2 Drill (10 rounds in 5 seconds at 10 yards from the ready) is a pretty good representation of The Test. The 20 yard stage doesn't require too much in the way of a good mount while the 5 yard stage requires people to set themselves into a super tense and aggressive mount that may not be natural or easily repeatable.

Edited to add: I think clean in the upper 3/4 of a USPSA A Zone is reasonable.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 10-03-2014 at 06:05 PM.

To clarify, I really like the Hackathorn single stack version of The Test - draw and fire 8 rounds in 10 seconds, 90% passes (doesn't have to be all in the black but that's nice). To me it test your ability to present you pistol in a reasonable time frame and deliver robustly accurate hits in a moderate time frame.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List