Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Taurus customer service journey

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    To give a benchmark...

An older guy brought a vintage flat-latch Bodyguard Airweight in for a trigger job at CCA when I was working there. He'd bought it new, and it may have been a pre-'57 gun. If it wasn't unfired, it was the next thing to it.

The gunsmith did his work and then went out on the range to make sure it would bust caps reliably by touching off a cylinder of ammo. Now, being as this was a very early alloy frame Smith, he used unjacketed ammo. I can't remember if it was 148gr WC or 158gr SWC, but after shooting one cylinder through the gun, he came back to the shop whereupon it was discovered that the frame had cracked clean through where the barrel shank screws in.

This was not terribly uncommon with the earliest Airweights, but it was still a sad-making occurrence, and we contacted the customer and let him know we were getting in touch with Smith to see what they'd do. They sent us a call tag for the ~50-year-old gun, no questions asked, and shipped us a brand new Model 638 stainless Bodyguard Airweight for him, and he was tickled.

Your turn, Taurus.
    When I needed service for my Circa 1986 M-49, I was told that was told it was a time period the warranty didn't cover...

The service for my shield was good... but...

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    When I needed service for my Circa 1986 M-49, I was told that was told it was a time period the warranty didn't cover...

The service for my shield was good... but...
    1986 was the Bangor Punta era when Smith was turning out a bunch of crap.

My one experience as a Taurus owner was a J-Frame sized .17Mach2. It had an 8 round capacity, but would only "chamber" 6 rounds. Two of the chambers just weren't the same size as the other six. One was too small to accept the round and the other was (visible to the naked eye) bigger than the others and a bit oblong. Figured it'd just be easier to stick with Smith and Ruger after that.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    1986 was the Bangor Punta era when Smith was turning out a bunch of crap.
    As a former owner of a 1980s vintage 539 semiauto, the point can be argued that even those guns surpass Taurus in terms of build quality.

I once made a dreadful mistake in college recently. I went downtown, passed the bar, and visited a gun store which was selling a PT1911. Like a freshman drinking too much 'punch',I field stripped the piece after seeking the dealers acceptance. What I found inside was so horrid I could submit it to the United Nations as proof of human rights violations.

The firing pin safety parts look like they came out of a Bic pen, and the barrel has obvious tool marks and enough sharp edges to warrant an advisory label.It may work, but when it ceases to do so its best to just chuck it in a river .Taurus may have perfected the first 1911 which is worth less then the brass casings it ejects.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

FYI I bent the crane on my 586 with obscene 158 grain Blue Dot hand loads and S&W repaired the gun free and the turn around was seven days. That is what I call good service.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    My dad picked up his replacement revolver today. I met him at the gun store. I picked up the revolver, ensured it was clear, and pulled the trigger.

The action seized up with the hammer 3/4 of the way back.

And this was supposedly a gun that was checked over before being sent out.
    3/15/2016

This thread is chock full of popcorn moments. I can't wait for the next episode.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    My dad picked up his replacement revolver today. I met him at the gun store. I picked up the revolver, ensured it was clear, and pulled the trigger.

The action seized up with the hammer 3/4 of the way back.

And this was supposedly a gun that was checked over before being sent out.
    At this point, wouldn't it be better to lay that gun on a bandsaw, cut it in half, and buy a real revolver?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    At this point, wouldn't it be better to lay that gun on a bandsaw, cut it in half, and buy a real revolver?
    Yeah, it's time to jack the front sight up and slide a new gun under it. Preferably one that doesn't say "Taurus" on it.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Let us not be so wasteful. Deactivate the thing and give it to the kids for a toy. If they break it further, its still got a lifetime warranty!
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List