Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Taurus customer service journey

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar

My Taurus customer service journey

So last night after reading my article on replacing J frame springs, my dad wants me to look at the Taurus 85 he bought sometime in the early 1980's to see if there's anything that can be done about what appears to be a broken firing pin spring. The firing pin was moving loosely in it's slot and would actually stop the cylinder from being opened under the right circumstances when the gun was loaded. Apart from that, the cylinder was not opening properly either...catching on something.

So I take a look. Those things, it turned out, were the least of his problems:

Name:  taurus85.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  54.0 KB

That little pin there is the pin that the hammer actually sits on in the gun. A rather important piece, and it's snapped off and actually fell out of the gun when I took off the grips.

Important things to note about this gun:

It's seen less than 500 rounds in its lifetime. This was not a gun that was heavily used or daily carried. It's spent most of its life in a sock drawer or a safe. I carried it once or twice many, many moons ago when I managed an auto parts store in a rough neighborhood.

Now any manufacturer can put out a defective product. Some put out more than others because overall they do a much crappier job of making guns. When I did the Hi-Point test, for instance, and ended up with a gun that couldn't get through a bloody magazine without a stoppage, people touted the customer support of the company. When I tell people to skip a brand like Taurus and buy a S&W I'm often told about Taurus' super awesome iron-clad lifetime warranty.

Well, now we're going to put that to the test. I'm going to use this thread to document how Taurus handles this issue so we can all see what "lifetime warranty!" looks like from a company widely known for having terrible customer support.
    3/15/2016

Another observation about this revolver:

I am not a materials engineer. I have the sort of materials engineering expertise required to look at a bridge that has collapsed and say "I don't think that's supposed to happen."

...but the amount of deformed metal on this revolver is disconcerting, especially seeing how little use it has seen.
    3/15/2016

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    If you're talking about the toolmarks, that's just what revolvers look like with their clothes off.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    I had the same thing happen to a 442 at a similar round count, so that failure certainly isn't unique to Taurus.

No, but I expect the customer support to be uniquely Taurus.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Ohh, yeah, that part's almost certainly going to suck a lot more for you than it did for me. Smith had my 442 back to me in less than a month, which was pretty impressive since they ended up scraping the frame and sending me a totally new gun with the same SN.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    No, but I expect the customer support to be uniquely Taurus.
    To give a benchmark...

An older guy brought a vintage flat-latch Bodyguard Airweight in for a trigger job at CCA when I was working there. He'd bought it new, and it may have been a pre-'57 gun. If it wasn't unfired, it was the next thing to it.

The gunsmith did his work and then went out on the range to make sure it would bust caps reliably by touching off a cylinder of ammo. Now, being as this was a very early alloy frame Smith, he used unjacketed ammo. I can't remember if it was 148gr WC or 158gr SWC, but after shooting one cylinder through the gun, he came back to the shop whereupon it was discovered that the frame had cracked clean through where the barrel shank screws in.

This was not terribly uncommon with the earliest Airweights, but it was still a sad-making occurrence, and we contacted the customer and let him know we were getting in touch with Smith to see what they'd do. They sent us a call tag for the ~50-year-old gun, no questions asked, and shipped us a brand new Model 638 stainless Bodyguard Airweight for him, and he was tickled.

Your turn, Taurus.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

^This^ sort of thing has also been my experience with S&W CS when dealing with heavily used and abused 20+ year old issued 9mm duty pistols.

A couple of decades ago I had cause to try Taurus' CS and found they were pleasant to deal with and just as good as S&W CS. That has changed since then, and not for the better.

I've had three bad Taurus wheelguns in a row. The last was completely jacked up from the factory and it was obvious there was zero inspection before it left. They wanted me to pay for shipping to send the gun in to fix their problem. That gun came back in worse shape than when I sent it off, and they again wanted me to pay for shipping to send it in the second time.

Nope, no more Tauruses for me.

They do want him to pay to ship the gun to them...by air. So we're going to be tallying up the costs for this lifetime warranty service.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    If you're talking about the toolmarks, that's just what revolvers look like with their clothes off.
    I was thinking more about the various bits of deformation visible on the outside of the gun...especially in the area where the cylinder locks in.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List