Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the Internet a Valid Resource for Firearm Knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Definitely. The people who review guns in print mags are a pack of howling idiots. The people here are a lot smarter.
    Name:  mCejzhicySpcUDFE3aqZG_A.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  11.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    This inquiry was inspired by a professor here who has made it clear Wikipedia ranks below "my brother's wife's second cousin" in terms of source validity.In viewing a set of YouTube videos on firearms I own and shoot, out of ten hits only two contained any information of merit, and all were ridddled with factual errors.

Combined with the recent thread about forum grievances and the spread of derp, I wonder if an informed pistolero should adopt the academic principle of my professor. If the source material is not a published book by an SME, and with the internet cluttered with nonsense posing as information, why bother?
    I agree, why bother? Remove all sources to the Internet immediately! Godspeed.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Name:  mCejzhicySpcUDFE3aqZG_A.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  11.9 KB
    Name:  CVR_SI1410_October_copy.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  54.4 KB

But what the hell, I'll be your huckleberry; that's just my game...

Are you saying that the person who wrote the cover article in the magazine you linked didn't honestly review the gun they had in their hands?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    OK. Fair enough. I admit to engagingly in a fair degree of hyperbole. That said - there seems to be, at least to my eyes, a good amount of group think coming from the many in academia and this accepted group think is often counter to my experiences. I am glad to hear that Wiki is more accepted among many professors and this guy is the exception. He is however an exception that I hear of fairly often. Now what I find pretty hypocritical (and what leads me to my tin foil hatted feelings about main stream academia) is that I would bet that this guy would have little issue with someone sighting the NY Times or any other "respected" journal - despite the fact that at least in my area of expertise - they are usually far less accurate than your typical Wiki.

I'm sorry to drag you into the dirt.
    Bolded the most important part there. Like bad cops and corrupt politicians, you usually only hear about/from the loud, narcissistic, windbags. Group think is found in any field and it's certainly found in academia. I am not sure if it is a good amount. Academic environments are, ideally, forums for the free exchange of new and maybe radical ideas. For advanced career academics (grad students and professional scholars) that is usually what academic environments are. Unfortunately, for undergraduates, particularly at large massive state schools, that have replaced free dialog with, barely getting paid, hopefully capable, lecturer - that is not the case. Which is to say it's not group think per se because that would imply actual thinking and parroting. Instead it's lowest common denominator degree milling that has the same, very predictable, results in quality as any other form of mass-market product.

Gotta be honest what you're seeing isn't the byproduct of a nefarious group think plot. Instead its the result of a few things 1) Cultural shift to large-scale higher education as being necessary. 2) Politicians selling the idea that higher ed. isn't anything else besides grades 12-16. 3) The proliferation of the professional university administrator, who isn't an academic, hasn't taught a day in their life, and isn't really a scholar either. All of these combine with self-inflated egos and you get a recipe for what is easily construed as group think. Because in order to get the fifty-eight THOUSAND undergrads at my previous institution through their undergrad careers, at some level we have to stick them in a room and make them parrot stupid shit back to us and the end result is what you call "group think" and we call...well Dirty Deeds on the Down Done Cheap and it's not as though we are proud of it and some of us (most?) are fighting a losing battle to keep it from happening. I've given up on the idea of returning to glory days gone past and I, personally, am focused on working through a career in an attempt to make the academic world a better place when I leave it. We'll know if I am successful in about 40 years.

As an addendum usually what I find about these loud windbags is the louder they are the less prolific and well respected they are as academics. In my experience, which is now essentially the entirety of my adult life, in dealing with academics the good ones are way, way, way, too busy to complain about things like Wikipedia. Most of them (us) are balancing administrative responsibility, professional development/service, course teaching, mentoring and supervising of students at multiple levels (undergrad and grad), doing original research, writing original research, and looking for and applying for grant funding. Personally, I worked 73 hours last week, I don't have a lot of time to complain about Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Name:  CVR_SI1410_October_copy.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  54.4 KB

But what the hell, I'll be your huckleberry; that's just my game...

Are you saying that the person who wrote the cover article in the magazine you linked didn't honestly review the gun they had in their hands?
    I was just seeing if you'd post your cover.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The problem with the good pockets is that even the bad pockets think they are good. And many of the pockets that are good to one group are ridiculed by another. A lot of the minutiae that gets discussed here is scoffed at by the Lightfighter bunch, while many here might find amusement in the fact that a guy who was an Army cook 25 years ago gets more cred there than someone that shoots matches 4 times a month. Perspective matters.

But you don't have that perspective until you've been around for quite a while. And even then, such things only matter to the aficionados, not the mass public. If one of us were to go onto a golfing forum would we be able to tell the difference between the duffers and the pros (assuming, of course, they don't have an SME process...).

The good news is that it doesn't matter. A golf pro comes here and asks for a holster suggestion for his Taurus judge and all the hipsters jump his ass. One of you goes to a golf forum and asks for a suggestion for a $25 driver and gets laughed into the sand trap. About the time that it matters if the guy giving you advice is an idiot or not, you are also at the point to tell the difference. It's the time when people are approaching that hump and working their way over it that they get the most annoyed, and annoying, about the fact that someone else knows less than they do.

it doesn't matter. Nobody cares.

so, there is tons of good information available on the internet, and everyone for whom separating out that good information matters, is capable of doing so.
    This. The key I think consists of three things:

1. we all have some degree of 'confirmation bias'. You to have be mindful of that
    2. exercise your critical thinking skills
    3. you have to be somewhat adept at data analysis, or to put it finer terms you must develop your "bullshit detector"

ETA: Rob is totally right about Lightfighter xD. Sad really, it wasn't like that back when I joined in like....2001 maybe?

Sturgeon's law is pretty true for most every source of information, internet or otherwise.
    One may as well ask if your local newscast was a good source for local news.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Correcting Wiki entries in your area of expertise is fine - in fact it is better than fine, it is how things are supposed to work. And it is an entirely different matter than proclaiming that Wikipedia is a totally unreliable source of information.
    Regarding Wikipedia, I was out of school before it hit the scene, so I've never dealt with it from the student perspective. I've heard students comment that some professors frowned on it though. However, I don't think this disapproval should be termed "groupthink." Rob's comments about the free exchange of ideas are accurate but I think he under emphasized the egotism that often accompanies it. For example I was at a conference once when a guy asking questions from the audience and the speaker giving the presentation got into a yelling match. I've also seen faculty members scream at each other in departmental seminars and freely insult each other. Obviously these people were not embracing in a big groupthink hug. Wikipedia is perceived as a threat because it is outside of the historical norm and has no "keeper," so to speak. How do you rebut a lousy Wikipedia entry? It has no peer review, and no one's name is attached to it. It's also much more accessible that the traditional scientific literature. Combine all of these things, and you can see how "the establishment" would perceive Wikipedia as a threat. It is an insult to ego and arrogance rather than an affront to groupthink.

Site Supporter
    Hand Held Howitzer - http://americanhandgunner.com/the-he...ocket-shotgun/

When stoked with some proper defensive ammo I just cannot fathom an attacker continuing his malfeasance after meeting the Pocket Shotgun in an awkward social encounter.
    In written form or on the Internet - take your pick. I was once asked to write an article about negligent discharges but a new editor ditched it because it was too technical - oops, sorry for reading the ergonomics journals.

OH - to Pangloss - best thing I saw at an academic conference:

Guy asks presenter a question. Answer - you asked the same thing last year, you were too stupid to understand the answer then. Are you smarter now?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    My soul hurts.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List