Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The New Generation

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Agreed.
    But dismissing an entire generation because some of them are lazy and post on instagram too much is fine?

I've not dismissed anyone.......for anything.........but trying to make a case for the current generation based on military service doesn't work. Even by gorila math and logic.

I am simply pointing out that less than 1% of the current US population is serving in the military.

Of that less than 1%, 10% fight.

Of that 10% that fight, you get about 10% that end up a truly capable hitter.

When you do the math...........the generation does not deserve ANY credit for military service...........only the less than 1% who served do.

Tap tap tap ahem attention please....to the original question with a bit of expansion....how do you teach your kids about the Constitution Bill of Rights and American History. Have you used particular books videos websites.....etc etc etc. ..... ok...carry on

Ohhh how I wish that article had a comments section.
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I think Easton is a buffoon, who would just as soon characterize a generation based on the actions of the few he knows, than actually try to figure out if his generalizations have any base. Of course, what can one expect from a man who writes hopeless, psychopathic, narcissists, so well? The rule is you write what you know.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Tap tap tap ahem attention please....to the original question with a bit of expansion....how do you teach your kids about the Constitution Bill of Rights and American History. Have you used particular books videos websites.....etc etc etc. ..... ok...carry on
    Honestly? Most of the books aren't that bad. Sure there are a few apologists that really make it bad, but history is written, largely, by the victor, and no amount of anxious, hand-wringing, self-conscious, after-the-fact guilt is going to dramatically change the outcome of American history. I'd just start with the basics - The books written by the dudes who influenced the founding fathers and then the ones written by the founding father's themselves. Every kid in this country should read Socrates, Homer, Aristotle, Locke, Hume, de Tocqueville, Franklin, Madison, and Jefferson by the age of 15. I was 21 before I read Ben Franklin's Autobiography and I view that as a real damn shame. After that a general (college level) American History textbook can set the stage and then the killer, the hook, the line, and the sinker - Take the kids to see the history.

My second oldest memory is seeing memorials to the Texas Revolution near the old family homesteads in south and east Texas respectively. By the time I was 10, I had been to half the historical markers in the state of Texas. Take the kids to see it, family vacation? Forget the Bahamas, head to the Smithsonian, or Philadelphia, or Boston.

ETA: I remember as a kid voraciously reading first the encyclopedias in the house and later when I was teenager we had Microsoft Encarta on CD-Rom (!) I wore the CD out. Today, Wikipedia isn't all that bad in the scheme of things and it's arguably more addictive to WikiWander than to just read the encyclopedias from A-Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I've not dismissed anyone.......for anything.........but trying to make a case for the current generation based on military service doesn't work. Even by gorila math and logic.

I am simply pointing out that less than 1% of the current US population is serving in the military.

When you do the math...........the generation does not deserve ANY credit for military service...........only the less than 1% who served do.
    I didn't think you were.

I just get tired of people using anecdotes to talk crap about an entire generation where there are plenty of positive anecdotes about Millenials. I used a simple example, because it's easy to reach for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post

But one doesn't have to have become a truly capable hitter to be of first rate character and work ethic in the context of the generation or even in the context of those who serve in the Mil.

For each great kid I know in the Mil I know 10 more that aren't. Same qualities.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    For each great kid I know in the Mil I know 10 more that aren't. Same qualities.
    Ok five.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thank you. Those books had not even entered into my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Honestly? Most of the books aren't that bad. Sure there are a few apologists that really make it bad, but history is written, largely, by the victor, and no amount of anxious, hand-wringing, self-conscious, after-the-fact guilt is going to dramatically change the outcome of American history. I'd just start with the basics - The books written by the dudes who influenced the founding fathers and then the ones written by the founding father's themselves. Every kid in this country should read Socrates, Homer, Aristotle, Locke, Hume, de Tocqueville, Franklin, Madison, and Jefferson by the age of 15. I was 21 before I read Ben Franklin's Autobiography and I view that as a real damn shame. After that a general (college level) American History textbook can set the stage and then the killer, the hook, the line, and the sinker - Take the kids to see the history.

My second oldest memory is seeing memorials to the Texas Revolution near the old family homesteads in south and east Texas respectively. By the time I was 10, I had been to half the historical markers in the state of Texas. Take the kids to see it, family vacation? Forget the Bahamas, head to the Smithsonian, or Philadelphia, or Boston.

ETA: I remember as a kid voraciously reading first the encyclopedias in the house and later when I was teenager we had Microsoft Encarta on CD-Rom (!) I wore the CD out. Today, Wikipedia isn't all that bad in the scheme of things and it's arguably more addictive to WikiWander than to just read the encyclopedias from A-Z.

My kids are 21 and 30 now. Looking back I would have made them do more chores and got a job at an earlier age to better instill work ethic. Raising kids in the suburbs gave them a great education...the schools were truly great. But they spent too much time on the internet, goofing off with friends, on their phones and playing games. My view is that many, but not all, of this current generation between 20-30 just don't have the kind of work ethic that is needed to be successful in our modern competitive workplace.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List