Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Generation

Site Supporter
    I was at a volunteer training class yesterday. Before class, two of the trainers were talking...

Guy 1: Ford has this great technology called Skylink (?) that let's me monitor my kids driving. Not only can I set speed limits for him but I can also get history, email alerts and his GPS location.
    Guy 2: That's really cool. My parents would have killed me if they knew what I did in their car.
    Guy 1: Yeah... Kids these days can't get away from us. Makes me feel a lot safer about them driving.
    Me: But what kind of kids are we raising? Kids that never have a chance to be completely on their own, never learn how to be on their own, never be allowed to fail and figure out how to fix it before mom and dad find out. They get comfortable being "monitored by the authorities" and grow up to become "Occupy Wall Streeters".
    Guy 1: Yeah but how much safer are they now?
    Me: I'm not gonna disagree about safety, no way. But what kind of people do they grow up to be?

(I was a real bundle of joy at this class.... LOLs.)
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I have no doubt that the bolded portion is what you've been taught, but it's not exactly true.
    Tom can you pm me explaining what you mean? I don't want to derail the thread but I got excited when I read that, I'm very interested in the topic.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I think its sociology. but hey.
    Fair point. "Pop sosh" doesn't scan as well, though.

Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Fair point. "Pop sosh" doesn't scan as well, though.

I actually laughed. Thanks for the pick me up while I watch the packers get ran over by the bears.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Because if even Canada has a bunch of 18-25 year olds that spend their off-hours engaged in a drinking/punching matrix of activities, I'm moderately certain that even the hormonally-augmented-milk-drinking American youth are also not all busily engaged in collecting twitter art or whatever he's talking about.
    We do, those people kick the shit out of the the twitterartinstagram people. I suspect the same types of people will always exist and people will find new ways to refuse to acknowledge their existence.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    We do, those people kick the shit out of the the twitterartinstagram people. I suspect the same types of people will always exist and people will find new ways to refuse to acknowledge their existence.
    When you consider the lifestyle of the "average" upper middle class "kid", they've had a remarkably manufactured existence. Think about it: the schools they've attended, the social activities they've been involved in, the colleges they go to. It's an intellectual flat earth and beyond the borders of the acceptable map it's stamped "Here be dragons" and nobody goes there.

I had a kid show up for a job interview with his parents the other day. With. His. Parents. His entire life has been carefully staged by parents who honestly believe that they're doing him some sort of favor by orchestrating his every step. He's a piece of his demographic, and likely represents a rather disturbing percentage of that demographic...but he isn't representative of the whole cohort.

If I spent my life only interacting with college students at a place where the upper middle class and above sends their kids, I might well develop a warped perspective. I don't, of course, and I know that there are people his age who are running a small business or who are fighting every day in physical therapy after having been blown up by an IED.

If one goes to a petting zoo it shouldn't be a shock that most of the critters there are pretty tame. There are plenty of jungles out there...but they don't have a roving Starbucks truck (In case one of the 4 locations within a couple of miles is too far away) or good wifi, so what self-respecting enlightened citizen would bother going there?

Robin Williams hangs himself and the "world" is saddened. Meanwhile how many vets who can't get treatment for PTSD and other problems from the VA die or commit suicide and nobody gives a screw about it...because that's happening out of focus of the lens of popular consciousness. Perception is reality and the people who end up on TV or in print offering commentary on society are frequently wearing blinders.

The same myopic nonsense you see when the "media" talks about gun control is at work when they discuss everything else that gets discussed.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 09-28-2014 at 04:12 PM.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I had a kid show up for a job interview with his parents the other day. With. His. Parents.
    I'd send him home before they got past the front door secretary/assistant/or whatever they're called.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I'd send him home before they got past the front door secretary/assistant/or whatever they're called.
    Ideally, yes.

In some environments, though, it's impermissible to dismiss him out of hand. I had to come up with a creative way of throwing him out as quickly as possible.

I've been involved in hiring processes where someone's actual demonstrated work history at the organization where he was applying for a promotion was not allowed to be considered in determining whether or not he got the offer. In other words, Bob applies for a promotion and I'm one of the people supposed to provide input on the hiring for that position...but I get told in no uncertain terms that my experience working with Bob can't be considered in the process.

The more central a legit technical competence is to the core job responsibilities, the less of that sort of thing that happens...at least in my experience.

Every organization does it to some respect, but it's worst in the .gov sector by a wide margin.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    In some environments, though, it's impermissible to dismiss him out of hand. I had to come up with a creative way of throwing him out as quickly as possible.
    Understood. I do the blackball - behind the scenes. If I were the front office type, where I had to be diplomatic, I would be kicked out right behind the kid holding his mom's hand.

I use water persuasion techniques to make sure the toddler stays dialed in to the reality of the world he was born into.

User Tag List