Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D vendor sells $1,500 machine to make metal guns

Site Supporter

3D vendor sells $1,500 machine to make metal guns

I have no clue about the quality. As this is really a milling machine, not a printer, I'd suppose it's got the potential to be OK. Now the legal issues on the other hand?

Wilson calls the tabletop machine the Ghost Gunner, and describes the project as a non-profit open source hardware effort by his company Defense Distributed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    I have no clue about the quality. As this is really a milling machine, not a printer, I'd suppose it's got the potential to be OK. Now the legal issues on the other hand?
    What legal issues? It's perfectly legal to make your own firearm in nearly every state.

There are some potential ITAR issues, but I assume Wilson is aware of them after the State Department got him to pull the file for the original Liberator pistol due the extremely broad definitions of "defense service" and "defense article" in ITAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post

Wilson calls the tabletop machine the Ghost Gunner, and describes the project as a non-profit open source hardware effort by his company Defense Distributed.
    As I understand it. As long as you're not manufacturing the gun with the intention to sell it, you're good to go.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    What legal issues? It's perfectly legal to make your own firearm in nearly every state.
    Interesting! I didn't know that. If this thing really does allow relatively easy and low cost construction of firearms, you can look for some legislation to be heading to congress pretty quick. I assume the lack of a serial number is also not an issue for a homemade firearm? I see why many would want one and also expect a large and angry response from those who don't want us to have one.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    This is interesting stuff. Kind of like when Ugg and the rest of the cave discovered that by sharpening a long stick - you had a pretty good stand off weapon.

I wonder if our "Chieftains" will have any better luck suppressing the tech than they did way back then?

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post

There are some potential ITAR issues, but I assume Wilson is aware of them after the State Department got him to pull the file for the original Liberator pistol due the extremely broad definitions of "defense service" and "defense article" in ITAR.
    ...nearly every state except NJ.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    ...nearly every state except NJ.
    I don't think the October 1 date that Wilson chose was an accident. Governor Brown vetoed a bill the day before that would have substantially changed California law regulating personal firearm manufacturing.

A $1500 machine to make a $200 lower. I'll hold out for the Star Trek version where I throw in a chunk of steel and a completed Ed Brown SF model pops out.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Sebastian had a good post on the potential ramifications of this at his blog. One thing's for sure, it points out the futility of gun control in a world where Home Depot sells 80% Sten receivers on aisle 7.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    A $1500 machine to make a $200 lower.
    I wouldn't buy it to make "a" lower, but I'd buy it to make dozens of lowers and to have a lot of fun experimenting with other frames.

User Tag List