Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Generation

In my current job, I work with 12-18 year old kids as well as their parents, and I really don't like to make general statements about them. There are many who fit Ellis' profile of people in constant need of affirmation. Others have turned into great adults with a sense of family, duty, and sacrifice. Frankly, as one who was born near the intersection of Boomer and X, I don't think they're all that much different from either of those generations. Meeting their parents it's no wonder some of them have problems. Some parents micromanage, some are their child's best friend, and some have completely screwed up their own lives and by extension their children's.

Site Supporter
    "ignores the big part of the generation that has carried the brunt of the war on terror" - you realize how very few American people (of all generations - I am boomer) actually now serve in the military as a percentage of the population, right? Yes, those that serve represent us all very well but that is quite a bit different than my father's generation (WW2) where such a very large percentage served and the ones at home had significant lifestyle changes during their generation (rationing, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Not really. That's pop psych BS for the most part, if you ask me.
    I think its sociology. but hey.

Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post
    Issues with oil ?
    its not never ending was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I deal with quite a few younger people every day who fit the mold of that article. They're self-entitled, borderline narcissists who want reward without effort and recognition just for showing up. Some of them are in the military, some are in law enforcement and some are working at the Piggly Wiggly. They're not exclusive to any stratum of society. On the other hand, I also deal with their parents who are simply flotsam raising jetsam. Those self-deluded youngsters didn't fall out of mom's vagina like that, they were raised by people who cultivated that mindset within them. My wife and I managed to raise three pretty great human beings who surround themselves with friends of equal measure, so there may just be hope for the future. Personally, I wish everyone would quit pointing fingers at everyone else. We all got here together and we're all to blame, either through action or inaction. The next time you want to blame someone do yourselves a favor and look in the mirror, that way you won't have to look far. We all carry some share of the burden.
    excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    "ignores the big part of the generation that has carried the brunt of the war on terror" - you realize how very few American people (of all generations - I am boomer) actually now serve in the military as a percentage of the population, right? Yes, those that serve represent us all very well but that is quite a bit different than my father's generation (WW2) where such a very large percentage served and the ones at home had significant lifestyle changes during their generation (rationing, etc.).
    *sorry mods for not responding all in one post. Started responding before I finished my morning coffee.* I get your point ranger but I highly doubt any of the people who were responding to this thread are world war two vets. While its good that you pointed out its a low percentage, its a volunteer force which is unique compared to other generations of the military. Not saying its better or that the people in it are more heroic, just that its different.
    (this is coming from a person that joined the marine corps because he looked up to his grand father who served in world war two as a tanker)

I think Tam is right about this one. The difference in mindset from generation to generation are relatively minor. To my mind, the generalizations about generations today are no different that generalizations about generations that participated in free love in the 1960s. That relatively minor group of people characterizes an entire generation and I think the same is true here.

To date, I've taught nearly a thousand kids aged 18-24. The majority of them are just normal people, trying to figure out how to get a job, do something productive with their lives. They care about their communities, their friends, the families, and their planet. Sure, there were some excessively lazy narcissists in that group, but they were a minority not majority. The vast majority of these kids never complained that workload was excessive, etc. And many of them did the equivalent of 80-hours a week worth of work. And that was on a major university campus in the middle of the most liberal part of Texas.

I think Easton is a buffoon, who would just as soon characterize a generation based on the actions of the few he knows, than actually try to figure out if his generalizations have any base. Of course, what can one expect from a man who writes hopeless, psychopathic, narcissists, so well? The rule is you write what you know.

-Rob

Meh.

Humans have been complaining about the lazy, worthless disrespectful younger generation since Ogg work so hard put cave roof over him kid's head but kid waste day paint antelope on wall.

Thinking about the reverse, I live where a significant part of the population is elderly, and let me tell you, they aren't all the "greatest generation."

A lot of kids I know are coddled and living in an upper middle class bubble. If they don't do well academically, and get a nice white collar job as a professional, they are in for a very difficult adjustment to independent adult living. Too much money, easy access to drugs, and permissive parents have left them ill-prepared for life.

I think my kids have turned out very well, more luck than skill . Insofar as you can control things, because every child can be a 21 year windup for one wild pitch, in retrospect the following approach helped my wife and I:

1. Bring them up in a religious environment.
    2. Teach them that they have an obligation to help others in need. Life isn't about yourself; it's about your relationships with others.
    3. Make the financial sacrifice to be sure they aren't latch key kids. Mom is always home when they get out of school.
    4. Protect them from life changing mistakes, but let them learn from the smaller mistakes.
    5. Challenge them to get out of their comfort zones. Try new and difficult things. If it doesn't work out, there's always other new things.
    6. Most importantly, try to develop their sense of humor. A sense of humor offsets a lot of stress in life.

User Tag List