Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Generation

Site Supporter
    I tell my kids the truth. In words they can understand. With examples that are real, but within their ability to comprehend without being alarmist. Is there another way?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

BINGO
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Life outside the confines of a college campus is scary and untidy.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I can't offer much. I was not moved by the Vanity Fair piece. It was not describing the youth I've been around in this small town in north Georgia. Much of that is shaped by my 26 and 21 year olds and their friends and peers. Both of mine are on active duty in the Army. They are nothing like the youth described. They are men of integrity and honor. I like very much what I hear about their present team mates. Pretty similar to most of their circle of young men and women. Many are also in the military but not all. Athlete or scholar, tough and resilient.

Maybe he was describing an urban and suburban environment I have not seen up close.

We just raised them living love, discipline, integrity, and accountability. Respectful to adults. Lots of sports and emphasis on academics.
    Ditto. That's how I feel about all of my childrens friends. Solid kids, good grades, involved parents. My children go to the worst school in my town grade wise and violence wise. They still seek out the solid kids to be friends with. So our kids are different. Because of their parental guidance. And I have to be honest I am glad they get this exposure. I'm glad their bus takes them daily past some of the worst in this town. I'm glad they are learning at an early age life is not all roses and a bad decision can lead to a downfall you can never recover from. Teaching opportunities abound.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I tell my kids the truth. In words they can understand. With examples that are real, but within their ability to comprehend without being alarmist. Is there another way?
    I don't know of any other way that works. Both of these quotes sound like something that could be from one of John Rosemonds books. He is not a fan of modern psycho babble.

I'm 23 and I don't like older generations most of the time. I think its because of the amount of stuff that has been pushed down the road (issues with oil, plastic not degrading, the lack of a efficient way/any way to dispose of radioactive waste, and this whole ignoring the fact that current benefits for older gents and gals wont be there when I'm at that age.) While I know this isn't all of the older generations, I feel like its the same concept of this article. The author obviously ignores the big part of the generation that has carried the brunt of the war on terror and the hard working intellectuals (not necessarily all college grads) who are trying to solve some of the pressing issues both environmentally and economically that were just kind of ignored previously. Not sticking up for all my generation by my way, because there are plenty of people my age that I don't relate to. But don't all generations have different mentalities?

I think a lot of the generalizations we all make are relevant to our locale. I know people on the East/West coast that fit the bill of the article and I know people like breakingtime91 in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado as well as NY, NJ and CT. I also think it depends on your job. Especially if your job is anywhere near education.

Although my 'education' is martial arts, which you'd think would draw more physical kids, it often doesn't. The kids I taught 17 years ago were way more physically disciplined and connected to their bodies on average. Today, the physical bell curve has turned into a bowl, but the intellectual curiosity of the kids has sky rocketed. It takes me longer to get them physical, but when it's all connected, it's a pretty impressive package.

I can crank on the younger generations with the best of them, but in the end, they're just different.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I'm 23 and I don't like older generations most of the time. I think its because of the amount of stuff that has been pushed down the road (issues with oil, plastic not degrading, the lack of a efficient way/any way to dispose of radioactive waste, and this whole ignoring the fact that current benefits for older gents and gals wont be there when I'm at that age.) While I know this isn't all of the older generations, I feel like its the same concept of this article. The author obviously ignores the big part of the generation that has carried the brunt of the war on terror and the hard working intellectuals (not necessarily all college grads) who are trying to solve some of the pressing issues both environmentally and economically that were just kind of ignored previously. Not sticking up for all my generation by my way, because there are plenty of people my age that I don't relate to. But don't all generations have different mentalities?
    Issues with oil ?
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    But don't all generations have different mentalities?
    Not really. That's pop psych BS for the most part, if you ask me.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Great insights. I volunteer at a non profit for disadvantaged youth and what I see runs the gamut. My kids tend to be from poorer broken families. I see a lack of self discipline, and a lack of advanced education., although the kids themselves are by and large great kids who often have made poor choices regarding their personal lives.
    Its when I make one of my few ventures to someplace public such as the mall that I am appalled by what I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    I think a lot of the generalizations we all make are relevant to our locale. I know people on the East/West coast that fit the bill of the article and I know people like breakingtime91 in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado as well as NY, NJ and CT. I also think it depends on your job. Especially if your job is anywhere near education.

Although my 'education' is martial arts, which you'd think would draw more physical kids, it often doesn't. The kids I taught 17 years ago were way more physically disciplined and connected to their bodies on average. Today, the physical bell curve has turned into a bowl, but the intellectual curiosity of the kids has sky rocketed. It takes me longer to get them physical, but when it's all connected, it's a pretty impressive package.

I can crank on the younger generations with the best of them, but in the end, they're just different.

I deal with quite a few younger people every day who fit the mold of that article. They're self-entitled, borderline narcissists who want reward without effort and recognition just for showing up. Some of them are in the military, some are in law enforcement and some are working at the Piggly Wiggly. They're not exclusive to any stratum of society. On the other hand, I also deal with their parents who are simply flotsam raising jetsam. Those self-deluded youngsters didn't fall out of mom's vagina like that, they were raised by people who cultivated that mindset within them. My wife and I managed to raise three pretty great human beings who surround themselves with friends of equal measure, so there may just be hope for the future. Personally, I wish everyone would quit pointing fingers at everyone else. We all got here together and we're all to blame, either through action or inaction. The next time you want to blame someone do yourselves a favor and look in the mirror, that way you won't have to look far. We all carry some share of the burden.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    .....Personally, I wish everyone would quit pointing fingers at everyone else. We all got here together and we're all to blame, either through action or inaction. The next time you want to blame someone do yourselves a favor and look in the mirror, that way you won't have to look far. We all carry some share of the burden.
    Very well stated.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

User Tag List