Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Generation

The New Generation

I think many on this forum are cut from the same cloth.
    It is with great dismay I watch the world unfold around us and yes in this country too.
    I try to raise my children with the values that were instilled in me and hope that one day the pendulum will swing back the other way. If it doesn't then they will be the odd people out I am afraid, but I feel no need to apologize for that or ask them to compromise their values to fit with society.
    So it was with great interest I read the following linked article. http://www.vanityfair.fr/culture/liv...on-ellis/15837
    I am really interested in hearing what people are doing with their children to prepare them for the realities of the world as opposed to the ideological viewpoint.
    I had to look it up to be sure I had the right word so I'll share the definition for those who like me are unsure.

noun, plural ideologies.
    1. the body of doctrine, myth, belief, etc., that guides an individual, social movement, institution, class, or large group.
    2. such a body of doctrine, myth, etc., with reference to some political and social plan, as that of fascism, along with the devices for putting it into operation.
    3. Philosophy. a. the study of the nature and origin of ideas.
    b. a system that derives ideas exclusively from sensation.
    4. theorizing of a visionary or impractical nature.

Do you seek guidance from child guidance "experts? If so who?
    Personally I have leaned pretty heavily on John Rosemond. http://rosemond.com/
    Do you have references you use to teach them the constitution? I am thinking to enroll them this course as soon as I feel they can complete it over one summer..
    https://online.hillsdale.edu/course/con101/register

Please feel free to discuss. I am genuinely interested and I am sure other parents would be too.
    Please keep this one on subject and break off into separate threads as needed.
    Last edited by UNK; 09-27-2014 at 07:21 PM.

I can't offer much. I was not moved by the Vanity Fair piece. It was not describing the youth I've been around in this small town in north Georgia. Much of that is shaped by my 26 and 21 year olds and their friends and peers. Both of mine are on active duty in the Army. They are nothing like the youth described. They are men of integrity and honor. I like very much what I hear about their present team mates. Pretty similar to most of their circle of young men and women. Many are also in the military but not all. Athlete or scholar, tough and resilient.

Maybe he was describing an urban and suburban environment I have not seen up close.

We just raised them living love, discipline, integrity, and accountability. Respectful to adults. Lots of sports and emphasis on academics.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Moved to Romper Room.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    If Bret Easton Ellis were any more full of himself, he'd burst out of his own belly button like some unholy offspring of that thing from Alien and an Ouroboros.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

What would Pat Bateman say about The New Generation?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quick read of the article leads me to conclude I either live in a very different place than the author, or the author's conclusions are massive generalizations derived from a very small sample.

One of the youngest guys I worked with on the last construction site I was on (he'd just turned 18 years old when I met him) had a flaming swastika tattooed on his shoulder, a beard (non-hipster), and two missing teeth from his usual weekend pastime of fistfighting.

My best friend interviewed a guy in his early twenties for a job the other day who showed up to the interview with a black eye and a broken nose, also from fistfighting.

At that same job, my friend - who is about my age, 35 I think, got into an argument with a coworker at the christmas party and they walked out into the street and started slugging each other, and everyone thought that was pretty reasonable.

Maybe Bret should stop hanging around a bunch of actors and writers and poets and artists, and go spend some time on construction sites and oil rigs. Because if even Canada has a bunch of 18-25 year olds that spend their off-hours engaged in a drinking/punching matrix of activities, I'm moderately certain that even the hormonally-augmented-milk-drinking American youth are also not all busily engaged in collecting twitter art or whatever he's talking about.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Kyle Carpenter's only 24.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Life outside the confines of a college campus is scary and untidy.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    I think many on this forum are cut from the same cloth.
    It is with great dismay I watch the world unfold around us and yes in this country too.
    I try to raise my children with the values that were instilled in me and hope that one day the pendulum will swing back the other way. If it doesn't then they will be the odd people out I am afraid, but I feel no need to apologize for that or ask them to compromise their values to fit with society.
    So it was with great interest I read the following linked article. http://www.vanityfair.fr/culture/liv...on-ellis/15837
    I am really interested in hearing what people are doing with their children to prepare them for the realities of the world as opposed to the ideological viewpoint.
    I had to look it up to be sure I had the right word so I'll share the definition for those who like me are unsure.

noun, plural ideologies.
    1. the body of doctrine, myth, belief, etc., that guides an individual, social movement, institution, class, or large group.
    2. such a body of doctrine, myth, etc., with reference to some political and social plan, as that of fascism, along with the devices for putting it into operation.
    3. Philosophy. a. the study of the nature and origin of ideas.
    b. a system that derives ideas exclusively from sensation.
    4. theorizing of a visionary or impractical nature.

Do you seek guidance from child guidance "experts? If so who?
    Personally I have leaned pretty heavily on John Rosemond. http://rosemond.com/
    Do you have references you use to teach them the constitution? I am thinking to enroll them this course as soon as I feel they can complete it over one summer..
    https://online.hillsdale.edu/course/con101/register

Please feel free to discuss. I am genuinely interested and I am sure other parents would be too.
    Please keep this one on subject and break off into separate threads as needed.
    If " millenials" are considered self absorbed and entitled, what words can describe their parents?
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    If " millenials" are considered self absorbed and entitled, what words can describe their parents?
    Heroic and deserving of all of our society's wealth? Hell, just ask one.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List