Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sights: The Dangerous (Expensive) Question.

Site Supporter

Sights: The Dangerous (Expensive) Question.

So, while I feel like this is a somewhat generic thread title; I'm going to start out by elaborating why I'm considering, what I'm using currently, and hoping to obtain insights/input from others. I didn't want to do a poll, because I wanted discussion and information exchange.

Why?

So, in the last two months I've obtained a Glock 19 Gen 4 (from my lovely wife) and a SIRT Pro (from a forum member here; great transaction). I own a Glock 17 Gen 4, which was my primary carry and competition gun, and I currently am using Warren Tactical 2-dot night sights. My experiences with the Warrens have been very positive, I was highly skeptical of the shape of the rear sight playing a major factor before acquiring and installing them. However, I saw continual positive reviews (trends these days seem to indicate that the U-Notch at the least is here to stay) of the sight and the sight design. I was pleasantly surprised.

I need to install sights on the Glock 19 Gen 4 and the SIRT, so I'm looking at between sight installation costs and the sights themselves somewhere in the ballpark of $300-400. So, before I commit to two more pairs of the same sights I wanted to evaluate my decision. What better place than pistol-forum?

What am I using currently?

As I stated earlier I currently use Warren Tactical 2-dot Tritium sights; I do use the .245'' tall front sight post instead of the .215'' sight post to "shoot the dot".

However, after shooting a 1911 with my wife a few months ago and seeing trends here it seems that most are okay either shooting at the intersection of the top of the sight or a 6 o'clock hold. I will acknowledge right now that a 6 o'clock hold seems most accurate at range. However, I will also say that I find that it seems to me a shooter could start falling into the temptation of watching the target (chasing groups) instead of the sights as they bring the sights onto the target and then adjust to shoot underneath, or attempt to intersect the top of the sight blade with the target (the classic "Glock height" front sight blade). Being for defensive use and not bulls eye shooting; I think that the balance of speed with simplicity of focus (look for the front sight dot) is good. That's been my experience.

So while I'm not opposed, I wanted to see what others thought. I know some experienced shooters that swear by intersection and/or 6 o'clock hold.

- The first question is: Sight Height; what do you use and more importantly why? What have your findings been that it is either better or worse?

The second question I've come to is, I've come to really enjoy my two-dots. I found that with three dots on a 1911 that I carried before my Glock I would lose the front sight in the 3-dots. I had to take time to stop and refocus. The warrens not only have a good rear sight geometry that to me leads me to the front sight they also have a bright white outline on the front sight with a green tritium vial and a yellow and metal (silver) outline around the rear. This leads to precision when you want it and the rear doesn't distract too much but it's there if I want it.

I'm not opposed to the tritium rear and I rather like the two-dot system for being able to aim the gun in pitch black; but that begs the question. If I can't see the outlines of the sight at all, should I be shooting? My thinking is if I can't make out the sights I probably can't make out the target. However, being married with no kids if my wife is with me in bed then whoever is in the apartment in the middle of the night needs shooting anyway. That discussion leads to the next point

- The second question is: Should I consider a tritium only Front sight and ditch the tritium rear?

My third question is, I'm a strong believer in a U-Notch rear sight going at about .150'' and a front sight around .115-125". I don't see myself changing this perspective. However, I was also certain that three-dot night sights were it and a green front vial and yellow rear vials would be "it". Even after painting my front sight orange and I still found that the front sight for me was hard to find. For me, I found that wasn't necessary with the Warrens; they just worked as advertised, my eyes really did go to the front sight. It was $180 (after installation and shipping) well spent. However, I only went to them because I was willing to take a chance on new sights. I'd like to just at least briefly consider an alternative, I figure before I go much deeper into these sights as my sole set of sights get some input.

(ETA: To keep the conventions the same) The third question is: What sights other than what I'm using would you recommend if any?

So lastly, I'm going to humble myself and open my ears for this one. So in the spirit of Proverbs 15:22 "Without consultation, plans are frustrated, But with many counselors they succeed."

Here we go.

Thanks and God Bless,

Brandon.
    Last edited by BWT; 09-26-2014 at 09:28 PM.

You ever thought about installing the sights yourself?

That's some serious coin you're shelling out for simple bits of metal.

I will not comment on your sight choices because my choices are dramatically different than yours. But the money you are spending on sights is crazy IMO.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    You ever thought about installing the sights yourself?

That's some serious coin you're shelling out for simple bits of metal.

I will not comment on your sight choices because my choices are dramatically different than yours. But the money you are spending on sights is crazy IMO.
    I have but from what I understand a sight tool though is another 100$.

The base sights are $130.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/772...nt-steel-matte

I did have a front sight tool at one point; I need to find it. The front sight is not a dovetail in Glocks either. So, sight tool and sight pusher.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I have but from what I understand a sight tool though is another 100$.

The base sights are $130.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/772...nt-steel-matte

I did have a front sight tool at one point; I need to find it. The front sight is not a dovetail in Glocks either. So, sight tool and sight pusher.
    So you paid $50 to install one set, don't wanna buy a $100 pusher but are going to pay to have 2 more sets installed? Am I tracking here?

Site Supporter
    This is what I use for a Glock front sight tool: Wiha 26547 Precision Nut Driver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    So you paid $50 to install one set, don't wanna buy a $100 pusher but are going to pay to have 2 more sets installed? Am I tracking here?
    I didn't see the thread going this way. But what if I get the wrong pusher? Or break the vial? The gunsmith is on the hook for the installation; not me. Broken or damaged parts mean they're replacing/repairing the items.

What sight pusher do you recommend out of curiousity?

I don't exactly change sights regularly or have plans to.

ETA: Thanks for the recommendation cosine. The last tool I bought was the $20 Ed brown front sight tool apparently.

Site Supporter
    I bought a Maryland Gun Works rear sight pusher. I have used it twice in 5 years and would buy it again. I think the likelihood of breaking a tritium vial with this pusher is very very low. I have two pistols with Warren Tactical sights and one with 10-8 Performance sights. I like them all.

Site Supporter
    MGW. Should cost around d $100. You can always sell it later on if you decide to keep the sights you have, confirm their zeroed and have no plans of adding another Glock.

I'll second the notion that you need to consider learning to do your own sight installs if you're going to experiment much with various sighting configurations. A mechanical sight pusher works with some sights but not all, so my default method is a hammer and a suitable gizmo to serve as a punch between the hammer and the sight. Natural hardwoods work great as do replacement hammer faces made from hard acrylic. Neither of these materials mar the finish on anything and they are inexpensive to replace when they get battered. You can even get by without a vice if you have some extra hands to hold the slide in place.

Lastly, if you need great force to obtain fitment then your sight base is too large for the dovetail. Get an appropriate file and learn how to use it and you won't break any ampules or disfigure any metal.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    Alright, in the spirit of humility; I will consider the sight pusher. It's true; it's not a bad idea. I don't have plans to acquire more Glocks but if I bought the tool installed the sights and was happy. I could resell it and recoup some costs. Noted and I appreciate the input.

I'd say you're right too 41Mag, the gunsmith did have to file the Warren rear to get it to fit. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see that again.

User Tag List