Thread: Finally joined a decent gun club

Site Supporter

Finally joined a decent gun club

I finally joined a decent gun club where I'll have a place to shoot and can learn from some good shooters. Up until now, the little shooting range I used only had an outdoor pistol range with no safety officer. I've seen people firing on one end of the range while people were down range changing targets on the other end. And you'd have to wait to get a bench anytime during a weekend. I just couldn't get any quality shooting done there. Now I've joined Texarkana Gun Club. They have matches out there, including USPSA/IPSC, Steel Challenge and others. I've seen some of that on TV, but never actually seen it first hand. I'm looking forward to watching some of those in real life and talking to some of the competitors. And who knows, after watching for a while and getting tips and instruction from the experienced shooters, I might even take a shot at one myself. It's not likely I'll ever be bringing in high scores, but it does seem like a good way to learn and get better.
    I'm really excited about being a part of this group.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    I'm looking forward to watching some of those in real life and talking to some of the competitors. And who knows, after watching for a while and getting tips and instruction from the experienced shooters, I might even take a shot at one myself.
    You need to watch just one match to hook up with a mentor. The next time be prepared to shoot. LEAVE your ego behind, because it WILL get crushed. But if you are strong enough to take that and apply yourself with a self critical attitude, you will be amazed at how fast you progress.

Don't be the one who never competes because it always takes one more month of "practice" before you're "ready".

Nice range. I pretty much only have 25m indoor ranges accessible to me. Most of those restrict holsters and "rapid" fire, no movement obviously.

My understanding is that all the decent outdoor range/clubs around here have huge waiting lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    You need to watch just one match to hook up with a mentor. The next time be prepared to shoot. LEAVE your ego behind, because it WILL get crushed. But if you are strong enough to take that and apply yourself with a self critical attitude, you will be amazed at how fast you progress.

Don't be the one who never competes because it always takes one more month of "practice" before you're "ready".
    For that matter Bigguy, don't be surprised if the first time you show up at a match to watch, the folks there do their best to get you to shoot that day. I've seen it happen more than once, and I've yet to see it not result in a smile on the "victim's" face. I will say though, that borrowed G35 mags with extended baseplates look downright goofy sticking out of the bottom of a G27.

It helps to at least be aware of the basic rules and the commands the RO will give you, but as long as you're aware of the safety stuff, there's really not much reason why you can't shoot right away. Most ROs, in my experience at least, are pretty patient and helpful with new shooters.

The first time I went to a match, just to watch, I wished I had brought my guns/ammo/carrying stuff within 10 minutes of seeing other people shoot.

You'll have a blast and don't look at your score card.

User Tag List