Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hog Hunting with a Handgun

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    If a service pistol won't reliably work on a hog, it won't work worth crap on a bad guy. Just sayin'.
    If you wouldn't shoot a 250 lb hog with it, why would you shoot a 250 lb hog rider with it?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I ride a hog John why you got to shoot me?
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    If you wouldn't shoot a 250 lb hog with it, why would you shoot a 250 lb hog rider with it?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    Makes sense when you put it that way.

I have generally been under the impression that animals are tougher than humans, pound for pound. Not sure where I got that idea from so it seems like it's ripe for questioning. Maybe I was thinking of the fact that humans are domesticated and probably not as tough as wild animals.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Site Supporter
    Feral hogs don't do coke and meth...
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

There is a difference between hunting an animal and defending against an animal attack. Hunting, you need to kill the animal, and ideally without the animal running off for miles. To defend against an animal attack, you just need to make the animal leave you alone. That might range from a warning shot, to any hit, to actually having to either hit the upper CNS or break down the animal's ability to ambulate.

Over the longest running study of bear attacks, handguns do even slightly better than long guns in repelling a bear attack. This underscores the difference between stopping an attack and killing the animal, because we know handguns are not ideal bear killing firearms.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Over the longest running study of bear attacks, handguns do even slightly better than long guns in repelling a bear attack. This underscores the difference between stopping an attack and killing the animal, because we know handguns are not ideal bear killing firearms.
    Very interesting. Thanks for that tidbit.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks for that tidbit.
    What I find even more interesting, is the handguns used are not .44 magnum/.454 class handguns, but .357, .45, .40, 9mm and a bunch of calibers I don't associate with bear defense. Now, if the requirement was to KILL the bear, right there, the statistics would look a lot different for handguns (and long guns), and there would be much worse odds of surviving a bear attack regardless of handgun, rifle or shotgun choice.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What I find even more interesting, is the handguns used are not .44 magnum/.454 class handguns, but .357, .45, .40, 9mm and a bunch of calibers I don't associate with bear defense. Now, if the requirement was to KILL the bear, right there, the statistics would look a lot different for handguns (and long guns), and there would be much worse odds of surviving a bear attack regardless of handgun, rifle or shotgun choice.
    Do you think it's shot placement with the handguns that accounts for the slight edge?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Do you think it's shot placement with the handguns that accounts for the slight edge?
    Not at all. Handguns make shot placement harder, compared to a long gun.

I am just heading out flying, but later I will try to post the link to the study for folks to read and form their own conclusions. My take is bears don't like to be shot, and a bear that doesn't like to be shot doesn't differentiate between a little bullets and big bullets. Also, handguns are easier to deploy when you are rolling around, and often are easier to fire quick follow-up shots compared to bolt action rifles and pump shotguns.

All thus fuss about calibers and bullets ..... get you some bear spray and call it good.

http://www.polarbearsinternational.o..._23_07_utc.pdf
    Last edited by 41magfan; 10-02-2014 at 09:26 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List