Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hog Hunting with a Handgun

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Feral hogs don't do coke and meth...
    If I knew I was going to be encountering a 250# hog rider jacked on meth, my 9mm wouldn't be my first choice in firearms. If I knew a 250 hog would stand on his hind legs and let me shoot at his sternum and not his shoulder, I might be more inclined to use my 9mm.

Seriously, when I hunt anything my objective is to put an animal down for the count as quickly as possible, not punch a hole or two and track it all over the county.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Not at all. Handguns make shot placement harder, compared to a long gun.

I am just heading out flying, but later I will try to post the link to the study for folks to read and form their own conclusions. My take is bears don't like to be shot, and a bear that doesn't like to be shot doesn't differentiate between a little bullets and big bullets. Also, handguns are easier to deploy when you are rolling around, and often are easier to fire quick follow-up shots compared to bolt action rifles and pump shotguns.
    Here is the link:

http://www.arcticwild.com/blog/effic...-in-Alaska.pdf

ABSTRACT We compiled, summarized, and reviewed 269 incidents of bear–human conflict involving firearms that occurred in Alaska during 1883–2009. Encounters involving brown bears (Ursus arctos; 218 incidents, 81%), black bears (Ursus americanus; 30 incidents, 11%), polar bears (Ursus maritimus; 6 incidents, 2%), and 15 (6%) unidentified species provided insight into firearms success and failure. A total of 444 people and at least 367 bears were involved in these incidents. We found no significant difference in success rates (i.e., success being when the bear was stopped in its aggressive behavior) associated with long guns (76%) and handguns (84%). Moreover, firearm bearers suffered the same injury rates in close encounters with bears whether they used their firearms or not. Bears were killed in 61% (n 1⁄4 162) of bear–firearms incidents. Additionally, we identified multiple reasons for firearms failing to stop an aggressive bear. Using logistic regression, the best model for predicting a successful outcome for firearm users included species and cohort of bear, human activity at time of encounter, whether or not the bear charged, and if fish or game meat was present. Firearm variables (e.g., type of gun, number of shots) were not useful in predicting outcomes in bear–firearms incidents. Although firearms have failed to protect some users, they are the only deterrent that can lethally stop an aggressive bear. Where firearms have failed to protect people, we identified contributing causes. Our findings suggest that only those proficient in firearms use should rely on them for protection in bear country. " 2012 The Wildlife Society.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Seriously, when I hunt anything my objective is to put an animal down for the count as quickly as possible, not punch a hole or two and track it all over the county.
    I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly hogs went down with well placed 45 ACP. I once shot a sow that was around 150# and she made it less than 25 yards before she piled up. It was also my experience that pigs don't bleed a lot when shot. The fat really plugs up the holes - even 12 gauge slug holes.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Feral hogs don't do coke and meth...

Yes, however, they might steal beer from campers, get drunk, then pick a fight with a cow.

http://gadling.com/2013/09/10/austra...g-steals-beer/

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I've taken a number of hogs and javelina with archery equipment and in 2014 converted to firearms.

Waterman, GJM and Hambo all make good points (my collective paraphrases of them) about hitting the animal with something that will put them down sooner rather than later (versus stopping a threat). That may not be a service caliber pistol. In south Texas the brush can be rough, thick and very close (story point coming later).

Someone else mentioned shot placement under stress - I personally witnessed a wounded 150 lb boar bump the outfitter up onto a horizontal tree branch with the outfitter shooting a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm directly downwards at its head. I forget exactly, now, as it was 2009, but 2 shots went in the jowel and 1 in the ear or vice-versa -nothing fatal. The hog then just fell over from the severe loss of blood it had already encountered from a broadhead to the carotid. The outfitter now carries a 12-gauge with buck as a primary....

Someone mentioned head shots - I'd only take head shots with a service caliber pistol from the side behind the ear or behind the eye - between the eye and the ear would be perfect. Take a look at a skull and see where the bone is the thickest (front, between the eyes) and where the brain box is. A 14 yard shot with a 30-30 just under the eye put a nice 150 lb boar DRT for me earlier this year, but I would aim behind the eye in the future. I very much want to take one with my G17, but it'll be head shots, as described, only, due to the tracking conditions there.

This year my buddy wounded a decent javi (30-40 lb older female) and being the large, gangly, arthritic dude he is the outfitter and I went into the brush on our hands and knees with pistols after it. I had my G17 and he had his XDm in .45. When we found it we pumped at least two .45 slugs into it and two 9mm slugs at 5-7 yards in it before it went down.

So, given the perfect opportunity I absolutely want to take a hog or javi with my G17, but anything marginal is being thumped with the 30-30.

happy hunting & shooting,
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

Site Supporter
    On a recent hog hunt, we performed a couple coups de grace on wounded hogs with 135gr. 9mm +P Critical Duty out of my Glock 34. It seemed to work pretty well. On the same hunt, an acquaintance dropped a 150# hog with two rounds of 9mm FMJ from a Beretta 92 at 20-25 feet. The first round was poorly placed, but the second must have clipped something important as the pig dropped immediately. On the next trip, I'll still bring a long gun, but I'll be trying to take a hog with my 34.

User Tag List