Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub .38 ammo choices/thread move

I spent some time with the Chrono today.

A few weeks ago, I had found a box of Federal Gold Match 148 grain wadcutters at a local shop.
    I ran some through my S&W 342 PD Airlite and decided to make this my carry load when carrying this very lightweight gun while running. Chrono results were: 660, 657, 658, 662. Don't remember what happened to the last round.

Today I used a recent manufactured S&W 442 no lock with the biggest Pachmayer grips I could find.
    Fed Gold Match 148 wadcutters: 640, 640, 637, 641, 639. Pretty consistent.
    Gold Dot +P 135 gr GDHP: 752, 803, 830, 824, 827.
    Win +P 158 LSWCHP: 761, 724, 752, 765, 724.
    S&B 148 lead wadcutter: 513, 542, 493, 517, 527.

To test the chrono I shot some Fed 9mm AE9FP through a Glock 17. I had shot some of this same lot a couple of years ago and had an average of 941. Today: 963, 945, 948, 952, 939, ave 949.

I'm going to stick with the Fed wadcutters in my Scandium 342.

http://www.bangitammo.com/
    Shows to have Black Hills 148gr. HBWC in stock.
    I've never ordered from them before but just placed an order for 4 boxes because the Black Hills stuff is great (if a little dirty) in my experience.
    I'm down to the 5 rounds that are currently loaded in my 442 so I was getting desperate.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Great article - thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    That's a good article. Does the Buffalo Bore ammo in the video have a gas check?

anyone done/seen any valid tests,as exampled hereon,on the federal nyclad 125 gr lead jhp?

The Nyclad is rather old school, and has been tested a number of times over the years. I remain unimpressed.

It either fails to expand through heavy clothing, which means often, or it over expands/underpenetrates.

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    That's a good article. Does the Buffalo Bore ammo in the video have a gas check?
    Sure looks like it

A question about Buffalo Bore ammo (and I admit I have never fired one round of their ammo, and I don't know anything about loading ammo)...

How can they get their ammo to move so fast, out of short barrels, without going to a +P loading, or even higher (+P+?)? It seems to me that to get speed, you need either power or time (sometimes both). With a 1 7/8th inch barrel there is no time, so power is the only thing that will push a 150gr or 158gr hunk of lead out the sub-2" barrel at the listed velocity. I understand heavy bullets have longer dwell time (if that's the correct term), but if that's all there was to it the big 3 ammo maker's 158gr SWCHPs and 148gr WCs would also be moving as fast as the BB load. There has to be something with the powder charge.

How controllable are these rounds in an airweight? (I've looked at my LGS but I've had no luck finding BB in any .38 flavor to test).

I'm not knocking the round or the company. I've heard nothing but praise for both, and like I said, I've never shot one of their rounds. I am just curious as to how they do it. Seems like too much of a good thing - high speed, heavy weight, standard pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    A question about Buffalo Bore ammo (and I admit I have never fired one round of their ammo, and I don't know anything about loading ammo)...

How can they get their ammo to move so fast, out of short barrels, without going to a +P loading, or even higher (+P+?)? It seems to me that to get speed, you need either power or time (sometimes both). With a 1 7/8th inch barrel there is no time, so power is the only thing that will push a 150gr or 158gr hunk of lead out the sub-2" barrel at the listed velocity. I understand heavy bullets have longer dwell time (if that's the correct term), but if that's all there was to it the big 3 ammo maker's 158gr SWCHPs and 148gr WCs would also be moving as fast as the BB load. There has to be something with the powder charge.

How controllable are these rounds in an airweight? (I've looked at my LGS but I've had no luck finding BB in any .38 flavor to test).

I'm not knocking the round or the company. I've heard nothing but praise for both, and like I said, I've never shot one of their rounds. I am just curious as to how they do it. Seems like too much of a good thing - high speed, heavy weight, standard pressure.
    Great question, I too am curious about this. Also, at the risk if asking a really dumb question, what do you guys mean by a "gas check ?" I watched the video but must have missed it.

User Tag List