Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub .38 ammo choices/thread move

SGAmmo has the 135 gr +P Gold Dot in stock right now if anyone is interested.

Clay, thanks for the heads up.

In anticipation of my 442 arriving tomorrow I've been trying to scoop up some ammo locally. All my LGSs are out of GDHP but everyone has the Hornady CD stuff. I held out on it, luckily I can get the GDHP I want from SG Ammo now. I did however stop by our new BassPro today mainly out of curiosity since I hadn't checked it out yet. Suprisingly the ammo was within WalMart pricing territory and they had a well stocked variety of stuff. They had the Winchester bonded 130gr. standard pressure load and I also found some Remington Target Match Wadcutters. Being thrifty, I bought the Wadcutters because I'm getting 50rds for less than the price of 20 Winchester JHPs. I normally wouldn't have even looked at the Wadcutters but this particular thread, especially Chuck and Doc's suggestions have educated me. I may go back for more Wadcutters and grab a box of the Hornady and Winchester to try out too.

Buy up those wadcutters. They're like hen's teeth. I'd buy a case if I could locate some. Hopefully Midway or SG will get some in soon. My local Cabelas was no dice, and Wally World never has any.

I have switched to carrying wadcutters for the substantial increase in accuracy and controllability - at least for me.

The Remington and Federal wadcutters are the best in my experience, followed by Winchester and Fiocchi.
    Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Remington WCs are a stock item at Bass Pro. That's where I get mine. I've bought them from Bass Pro in at least 3 different states.
    Last edited by LSP552; 09-30-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Remington WC in stock as of 9/30.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Chuck and Jody, thanks for those links. Totally forgot about ammunitiontogo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The corbon 110gr +P DPX has the same POA / POI in your snub?

What snub do you carry?

I have had 6 different S&W J frames. My first was a M37 and the last one I bought a couple years ago is a M642. Everyone of them had a POA/POI the =158gr
    I also called up S&W and they told me they use 158gr load.

Now I just want ATK to make a 38spl +P with a 148gr-158gr HST
    A 640-1 with XS tritium big dot f/s, and a 442.

The HST is my go to load in 9mm & .45 acp. Being able to have the option of the HST in a .38 special would be great. I wouldn't mind a HST load in .357 magnum either.
    Last edited by LOBO; 10-01-2014 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LOBO View Post
    . Being able to have the option of the HST in a .38 special would be great..
    Agreed. But I have a pal who is very far up the food chain at ATK, and when I asked him about this very thing, he said they could easily do it... but the demand wasn't there, besides the fact that they were concentrating the great majority of resources on the standard fare HSTs in semi-auto calibers.

This was a year or so ago, so no clue what they might be working on currently. But I suspect, given the fact that they stay back-logged on the 135gr +P Gold Dot Short Barrel loading, their bean counters figure they got the market cornered in that area.

Who knows? But I think it has been shown here that, when the launch platform is a snubby, ammo just isn't that big of a game-changer.

I was at a gel shoot last week where the Speer rep was highlighting the Gold Dot and HST 9, .40 and .45 rounds. He advised that after everyone was asking for a remake of the "Chief's Special" Nyclad load that it didn't sell worth a damn.

Ammo factories tend to make what sells in bulk.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 10-01-2014 at 11:39 AM.

User Tag List