Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maintaining Motivation and Mindset.

Setting goals for some of the more common shooting tests, like the F.A.S.T., motivates me.

I also change up pistols more often than I probably should, but it keeps me motivated. I love wallowing in the little details that are needed to shoot different platforms well. It probably slows my overall progress, but I've yet to come away from a platform change without a significant positive learning experience.

It happens to everyone.

I second the Skeet/Trap shooting aspect - Wobble Trap is fun - and the quick transitions help other shooting.

WRT Handgun shooting -- change it up -- shoot for groups, shoot long distance, shoot movers.

However finding a shooting partner to challenge you is great - Plate Racks, Texas Stars and Popper at various ranges are all great to keep it fun.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    It happens to everyone.

I second the Skeet/Trap shooting aspect - Wobble Trap is fun - and the quick transitions help other shooting.

WRT Handgun shooting -- change it up -- shoot for groups, shoot long distance, shoot movers.

However finding a shooting partner to challenge you is great - Plate Racks, Texas Stars and Popper at various ranges are all great to keep it fun.
    Bull Run has an awesome wobble trap range.

But make sure your shotty has a 23" or longer barrel

They are rather anal about barrel length - I am not sure why, but...
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    But make sure your shotty has a 23" or longer barrel

They are rather anal about barrel length - I am not sure why, but...

My dad was shooting shotgun quite a lot a few years ago. When I wanted to bring my short guns, he'd tell me to wait til it was just the group of friends, most of the guys at the public ranges that took clays very seriously didn't like the noise level of the short guns, and probably not the look of them. Some things the friends would do when together at private places would be to pass guns with the guy to your right to shoot for a bit, or play follow the leader. First guy would call the shots for a while. It could be start with an unloaded gun, or laying down on your back, have the bird come from behind you, surprise pull (puller does it when they want, not an the call of the shooter) or anything you come up with at the moment. I liked a flurry of birds, if my gun would hold five, I'd call for five at whatever speed and interval the puller wanted, or a fast five. That's fun on a skeet range where the birds can come from different sides and angles.

If anyone hasn't tried sporting clays, it can be very humbling. Some pretty good trap and skeet shooters often start out with a run in the 40's, after being in the high 90's in the other games. I always liked the low fliers, and the rabbits rolling on the ground fast, any irregularity makes them jump high.

Theres quite a lot of good suggestions here. Keeping it interesting can mean different things for different people. If out at a place that you can do it, just plinking at various targets of opportunity can be a lot of fun. Going with someone else, you can take turns calling what the shot will be. I like shooting grass stems, yucca stems, empty shells, little stones, sticks and whatever we find laying around, or natural feature targets picked out from the area. Using different guns is fun also. I haven't shot much competition, but when I have, I've tried to keep it fun by using different guns also. I carry single action revolvers a fair amount in the hills, so have used them in some steel plate shoots where reloads weren't a part of the program.

I really like having a good target quality 22 pistol. Being able to hit tiny targets at absurd ranges is very satisfying. If you can stock up on 22 shells, being able to shoot 500 or 1000 rds just goofing off, and not worrying about the cost of finding brass is nice also.

Just shot a 2-gun match. I am now extremely motivated to buy a more accurate pistol, because I KNOW I could have shot better with a more accurate pistol .

Just a couple of thoughts on maintaining motivation:
    1) IDPA or KSTG matches add a whole new aspect to shooting. You will find it challenges you mentally and skill-wise. USPSA is good too...just putting in a plug for a more defensive type challenge.
    2) steel challenge is another interesting and challenging shooting sport.
    3) swapping out your pistol with something different. I shot my CZ75 for 1.5 years, then went to the Glock 34 just to prove I can learn to shoot it well. Match bump proved that and was rewarding.
    4) practice with a smaller/shorter gun or BUG gun for a while..like a few weeks. I have found it helps improve my longer pistol shooting.
    5) fitness training and Iron Mind gripper workouts to improve fitness and grip strength.
    6) sporting clays at a great range.
    7) 3gun...the final destination.
    8) mental conditioning. Read and embrace With Winning In Mind.

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List