Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger lcr 9mm

Site Supporter
    It's interesting (to me) that the 9mm LCR is the heaviest one they make at 17.2 ounces (beats the .357 by one-tenth of an ounce, but still...) I wonder if that's due to the higher expected recoil.

http://ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html

edited to add: I see the 9mm and .357 are steel, rather than aluminum in the body part of the gun.

The BBTI guys tested the effects of cylinder gap on velocity. http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/gaptests.html

If you've never had a moon clip revolver, here are a few bits of experience. My 940 moon clips works very well and I never managed to bend one, but the concern was there. I didn't find a great way to carry spares. Also, unlike a .38 and like a Garand, there is no way to load less than a full clip. This may or may not be a real concern. One problem I did experience was that it was picky about ammo and extraction. 9BP and IIRC 9BPLE were no problem, but I had at least one incident in ammo testing when I had to beat on the elector to get the clip/cases out. The coolest part of mine was that slightly dirty I could load and reliably fire loose rounds. This seemed appealing as a spare pistol mag doubled as an ammo carrier for the 940. The obvious down side was that if I needed to reload a second time, it would take the rest of my life.

The cool factor was high, but practically speaking it wasn't an improvement over a J-frame .38.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Also, might want to actually test if the moon clips can hold up in a pocket.
    Try these:

https://moonclips.com/cart/shopdispl...oncealed+Carry
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Now if Ruger made a 9mm version of their Match Champion GP100, or a 9mm version of their 3" GP100 (with the old compact grips, of course), or a 3" 9mm SP101...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    or a 3" 9mm SP101...

Best, Jon
    They made that one actually. They are tough to find, but out there. They also did a 2 3/4" Service Six in 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
    I've never owned or shot a moon clip revolver. Is the concern with carrying a reload and the moon clip bends in the pocket? Seems like once the moon clip is in the gun it's ok right? Last question, just to be clear. Am I hearing that moon clip only revolvers should not be considered for "serious" use?

Sent from my iPhone, I apologize in advance for typos.
    I have a 442 Pro with no lock that is cut for moonclips and has crimson trace grips installed. I've given up on reloading it with the moonclips if I'm in a hurry.

I would trade it in a heart beat for a stock 340.

I used to think a 9mm snubby would be cool. The 9mm LCR is tempting but after the above mentioned thread I no longer want to mess with one.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I've looked at those. They look pretty cool. The problem I've experienced is the rounds wobble around to much in the clips to reliably reload hollow points quickly. They work better with FMJs but I have no desire to carry FMJs as reloads.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Moonclip guns on the J-frame/LCR/wee lil' revolver platform tend to be problematic because the clip has to be so small to fit in a gun where space is already at a premium. I've never bent a clip for a 625 or my 929, but I have bent all kinds of clips for 5 shot guns. The biggest danger is when you bend a clip juuuuuuuuuuuuust a little bit, so that you can't necessarily see how it's bent. Then it will go in the gun, and you'll get a couple of normal trigger pulls, until you try to rotate the slightly bent clip under the hammer and your trigger pull goes up by 1 billion pounds to "JESUS GOD WHY WON'T THIS GUN GO OFF". That happened to me at a BUG match.

I really, really, really want to like small, clip fed 9mm revolvers. It's just such a great idea on paper, but it's never really shaken out in the actual concept specifically because the little thin clips are problematic and don't hold up well to use. Plus when you're dealing with guns that small, the realistic reload time between a moonclip and a Safariland Comp-I is basically nil. Yes, I can reload a giant N-frame with moonclips faster than a speedloader gun, but that's comparing apples to...slightly smaller apples.

Ref gun weight; the .22lr LCR is heavier than the .38s, so recoil management wasn't one of the things going into "why", it's just how the guns are built.

User Tag List