Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time handgun owner, need recommendations for under $250

S&W M&P 9mm, $375. You can't get a decent handgun under $250 unless you happen to get a good deal from an individual.

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/smith...s-p-54208.aspx

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

I can definitely say that police trades are a good value. They are typically fired very little and are maintained by an armorer. If you are ok with cosmetic wear I would start there. Like many are saying $250 is kind of outside the "service grade" price point for new guns. Save a little more and you could buy a shield http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ion&key=180021 or any of the other m&p's from G&R are the cheapest I can find online. I'm pretty sure they ship to CA but you can call them to be sure. That's my .02, don't settle for a gun that's not built for extended use if you intend to use it extensively.

Sent from my iPhone, I apologize in advance for typos.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerzpew View Post
    My budget is quite strict, under $250 would be great.

I want to buy new as well, which I know will limit my options as far as reliability and well recommended guns go for. From my brief research, although not a revolver, the cz82 seems to be highly recommended. Is this still available for purchase currently? ( I am in CA by the way ) If so, how much?
    If you are buying from a dealer, you are basically limited to items on the CA 'safe handgun roster'...

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov

or certain single action revolvers or Curio&Relic handguns. There is another option, but it's only possible for 3 more months and it's not feasible at the $250 price range.

You can buy online, but you'll need to find a local dealer willing to make the transfer. Generally a fee of $50-100 is charged for this service.

Buds has a list of CA-approved handguns. It's not exhaustive, but it'll give you an idea of what's available.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...page/1/sort/6a

You can also buy used from private persons; all such transfers must go through an FFL. Dealer fee is fixed at $35 for this. Any legally owned handgun may be transferred in this manner.

CA has magazine restrictions ( 10 rounds or less ) and an "Assault Weapons" law that affects certain pistols.

That's the view from 30,000 feet...

-- Michael

Quote Originally Posted by lakerzpew View Post
    My budget is quite strict, under $250 would be great.

I want to buy new as well, which I know will limit my options as far as reliability and well recommended guns go for. From my brief research, although not a revolver, the cz82 seems to be highly recommended. Is this still available for purchase currently? ( I am in CA by the way ) If so, how much?

I am also very open to a revolver. I currently have 2 shotguns and want to also have a hand gun available. Since I am in CA, am I limited to buying only in physical stores, instead of online?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Lots of good advice thus far, especially about waiting until you can afford to spend around $450.

I consider a police turn-in handgun to be a BETTER bet than a new one. A Glock or M&P in 9mm has a service life well north of 75k rounds--the first few thousand rounds barely get the parts settled in. That's about as much as most police guns ever get fired, so someone has already bought all of that ammo and done all of that that work for you. Also, anything that is going to break will already have broken and been fixed, so you'll be ahead there as well.

Taking a look at ammo costs also underscores the wisdom of getting a 9mm--that stuff adds up way faster than you'd think. 40 S&W and 45 ACP ammo is more expensive than 9mm or 38 Special ammo. It's also tempting to consider guns chambered for cartridges like the .32 ACP and .380 ACP because they tend not to be expensive. But practice ammo for them costs about as much as premium 9mm ammo, and premium ammo for them is off-the-charts expensive.

Food for thought.

Okie John

Where can I get a police trade-in handgun ?

Online: buds gun shop, jg sales, center fire systems, cdnn investments, and many others.

Locally you could check gun shows or large local gun stores. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone, I apologize in advance for typos.

I would wait and save for a NIB Pistol or Revolver.

SFP
    G17/19
    M&P 40S&W or if S&W totally fixed the 9mm accuracy issue then M&P 9.
    FN FNS 9mm
    HK VP9

TDA
    Beretta M9 series A1,A2 and so on.
    Sig MK25
    HK P30L 9mm , P2000 9mm , USP&C 9mm

Revolver in 38spl-357mag I would use 38spl or 38spl +P only.

S&W M 686 3inch 357mag easier to carry IWB and for me faster on the draw than a 4incher
    GP100 3inch 357mag

I would use any of the above handgun once its proven itself.

User Tag List