Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a new Ed Brown 1911!

Got a new Ed Brown 1911!

Friday, I got a call from the dealer I ordered it from. He ordered it on July 15th - my stainless Ed Brown Special Forces came in Friday afternoon. I went and picked it up yesterday

The sun was too far down in the sky for me to get a better pic with the factory grips, but here is a quick photo right after I brought it home...

I'll tell ya what - the dealer had a Nighthawk T3 in stock - stainless model. I shot a Nighthawk T3 back in May, and that is what got me back on the 1911 kick a few month's ago. I really liked that gun... Anyway, while I was there, I asked the dealer to see the stainless Nighthawk T3 I knew he had in stock.... I was thinking of asking him if I could move my deposit over to the Nighthawk - and buy that instead... I thought about it on the drive there.

But, I played with both guns for about 10 minutes, as he did other things. I considered asking, but in the end, I decided I wanted the Brown more. I had the extra $$ on me, since I didn't buy anything at the gun show yesterday. But, as tempting as it was, I wanted what I ordered originally. I am also glad I called Ed Brown after I made the initial order - I made one change - thin grips instead of normal grips.

After getting that Dan Wesson Valor back in July, I've fallen in love with its thinner grips.

Anyway here is a couple of indoor photos of the Special Forces with some sand colored VZ grips someone gave me. They were taken off his Valor and never used. I was going to go with them until I saved up for a black pair to match the Valor. But, after having them on all yesterday evening and looking at them - they've grown on me. I think I'll keep them...

Dan Wesson Valor and my Special Forces:

Very nice carry guns.

After you shoot it some, you should post up if you like the three dot or straight eight better!

I scored an EB Special Forces yesterday myself. Mine has the GenIII coating, and rough-texture G10 stocks that look like yours but are quite a bit lighter in color… mainly greys, with some near-white highlights. I guess these are VZ stocks; I haven't been paying much attention to 1911 "stuff" in a very long time.

Sorry, I cannot post pics. I've got some of it, if anyone wants to do the hosting favors.

What a piece of work these things are, eh? The P7 and my Rock River 1911 bullseye gun are the only non-combat-tupperware service pieces I've spent any serious time with in over 20 years. While I have ZERO intention of carrying or otherwise deploying this beautiful Ed Brown creation, it still makes me feel good to hold it and shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Very nice carry guns.

After you shoot it some, you should post up if you like the three dot or straight eight better!
    While trying to decide on what to get (one of these or a Colt 901), I figured out that I really wanted the EB Executive Target. But that pistol is equipped with all-black sights (square post front, BoMar clone rear) that I simply can NOT see… period. The prominent white circles around the Special Forces' trit sights won the day for me.

You guys who can still get normal sight pictures… I want to hate you, but then I realize that you'll be right there with me one day…

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I scored an EB Special Forces yesterday myself. Mine has the GenIII coating, and rough-texture G10 stocks that look like yours but are quite a bit lighter in color… mainly greys, with some near-white highlights. I guess these are VZ stocks; I haven't been paying much attention to 1911 "stuff" in a very long time.

Sorry, I cannot post pics. I've got some of it, if anyone wants to do the hosting favors.

What a piece of work these things are, eh? The P7 and my Rock River 1911 bullseye gun are the only non-combat-tupperware service pieces I've spent any serious time with in over 20 years. While I have ZERO intention of carrying or otherwise deploying this beautiful Ed Brown creation, it still makes me feel good to hold it and shoot it.

This site will allow you to upload images to post - without actually making an account. You just need to put the image tags at both ends of the link once you upload your pics. Just an FYI. http://picpaste.novarata.net/

As for the grips - they make a greyish grip that looks just like the sand colored ones I have - I probably would have ordered those or just black double diamonds. But, now that I have these, they have grown on me. I asked on a few other forums, and everyone seemed to like the color scheme. So, not gonna pay $60+ for another set. I'm gonna keep these...

I previously had a stainless Special Forces with normal sized grips a few years ago. So this time, I went back and forth on whether to get a stainless or a black one. In the end, I went with stainless again, but it was a touch choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Very nice carry guns.

Well, I did get to shoot it earlier today finally...I put 100 rounds thru it.

VERY smooth. Worked 100%. No issues. Very accurate.

I also love the chainlink texturing... And, the trigger pull is perfect. It's probably around 4lbs or so. The Ed Brown I had around 5 years ago was closer to 3lbs, and I found that a little too light.

I considered changing out the rear sight to the same kind my Dan Wesson has. But after shooting it, I'm not going to bother. Until I got the DW, I only liked 3 dot sights. The Brown has 3 dot sights. The gun is so accurate, that I don't feel like messing with it. No need to set up both guns exactly alike. I like both sites.

Also, I did a few double taps - fantastic. Second shot hit so close to the first... Probably best I've shot on some of those doubletaps...

Here are a couple of newer photos with the new grips... Managed to take a couple of pics out in the direct sun....

And, I've always loved the perfect, white circles on the sights that Brown uses - very bright around the tritium:

I have a Kobra in stainless and a Kobra Carry in Gen 3. I really enjoy shooting them, I should more than I do. I have wanted to run the Kobra in CDP And just never have really done it. I think you will like them.

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    Friday, I got a call from the dealer I ordered it from. He ordered it on July 15th - my stainless Ed Brown Special Forces came in Friday afternoon. I went and picked it up yesterday

The sun was too far down in the sky for me to get a better pic with the factory grips, but here is a quick photo right after I brought it home...

I'll tell ya what - the dealer had a Nighthawk T3 in stock - stainless model. I shot a Nighthawk T3 back in May, and that is what got me back on the 1911 kick a few month's ago. I really liked that gun... Anyway, while I was there, I asked the dealer to see the stainless Nighthawk T3 I knew he had in stock.... I was thinking of asking him if I could move my deposit over to the Nighthawk - and buy that instead... I thought about it on the drive there.

But, I played with both guns for about 10 minutes, as he did other things. I considered asking, but in the end, I decided I wanted the Brown more. I had the extra $$ on me, since I didn't buy anything at the gun show yesterday. But, as tempting as it was, I wanted what I ordered originally. I am also glad I called Ed Brown after I made the initial order - I made one change - thin grips instead of normal grips.

After getting that Dan Wesson Valor back in July, I've fallen in love with its thinner grips.

Anyway here is a couple of indoor photos of the Special Forces with some sand colored VZ grips someone gave me. They were taken off his Valor and never used. I was going to go with them until I saved up for a black pair to match the Valor. But, after having them on all yesterday evening and looking at them - they've grown on me. I think I'll keep them...

Dan Wesson Valor and my Special Forces:

Beautiful lines, congrats and enjoy!

Site Supporter

Got a new Ed Brown 1911!

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

I remember you posting a RRA 1911 on the bs classifieds some years ago, it took every ounce of my will not to buy it. What a beautiful piece.

I've owned 4 Browns, and the SF is still my fav! I miss it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nice looking guns...got to appreciate a 1911...especially when they look like that

User Tag List