Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Changing my CCW, looking for a few opinions and some photos

Changing my CCW, looking for a few opinions and some photos

Hey. I've been lurking here off-and-on for over a year now, figured it was about time to make an account.

For a year now, I've been using an HK45c as my CCW. I've been carrying it in a TT Gunleather IWB Mike's Special, with 2 spare magazines, but I'm having printing issues due to how I'm built. I'm 6'6", 180 lbs and can conceal it easily enough during winter months with a jacket, but indoors and the rest of the year I'm just too thin to pull it off, even with a loose-fitting, untucked t-shirt. All that said I really like the gun and plan to keep it (at least for the time being).

Right now, I'm looking at picking up one of the following to minimize printing:

1: An AIWB holster for the HK45c to see if that will help with the printing issue. I still have my doubts due to the grip length.
    2: A P2000sk with an AIWB holster.
    3: A S&W j-frame, pocket or AIWB carry. AIWB is most likely.

The main thing I'm looking for here is pictures comparing the grip height and overall width of any combination of these three guns, in the case of the P2000sk or HK45c using flat baseplate magazines if possible. I did a few Google searches for this, but the photos I was able to find had mostly been removed or were unviewable on the other various forums. Whichever option I go with, I will be dedicating a lot of time to practicing with it. If option 2 or 3 is taken, the firearm will likely become my primary carry for all but winter months. At least one reload will be carried in any case.

Thanks for your time, it's appreciated.

If you think the HK45C has an overly "long" grip length… then I've got some bad news for you. Just about everything else of a serious nature is as long or longer. We're talking with the flat floorplates, of course. I have been carrying one IWB for several years now, under hawaiian style shirts, with no issues whatsoever. I'm 5'5"/ 200#, but have sufficient shoulder width to match the girth.

Have you thought about "regular" IWB? You owe it to yourself to spend the money and time trying both; IWB and AIWB. I would definitely invest in a couple of QUALITY holsters before casting about for another gun. A proper concealed carry system has several components; the gun and holster are but two of those.

Thanks for the response.

I have been carrying IWB in a TT Gunleather IWB Mike's Special, and have tried everything from 3:00-5:00, finally deciding on 3:30-4:00 as being the best for concealment. Even with loose shirts (have tried 1-2 sizes larger than I normally wear) I get some printing. It's possible that AIWB would fix it... it's not the weight or thickness of the gun that I have a problem with.

Define "some" printing.....

99% of the printing that we are aware of is completely invisible to the rest of the world

The grip presses up against the shirt, showing a fairly large object there. It's noticeable to other people, not just myself, when I do not have a jacket on, and has been commented on.

Are you using a proper gunbelt to secure the holster? If not fix this first.

Skinny guys like you tend to have a problem with 3-4 o'clock carry. You don't have a lot of girth front to back to put the pistol in and the result is less than stellar concealment, especially without broad shoulders, to drape a shirt. By contrast, fat guys like me, can carry more comfortably at 3-4, because we're thicker and tend to have hips that push the muzzle out and thus move the butt in, against the ample middle section.

Also, I have never found a holster design that allows concealment under an untucked t-shirt that wasn't designed for behind the hip towards the small of the back OR appendix IWB. There might be some guys lucky enough to rock a gun IWB under just a t-shirt at 3:30-4, but I'm pretty sure they are the minority not majority, maybe with a super compact gun, but not with anything decently sized. With a holster like your's you need a button up shirt to conceal the gun, a t-shirt will fit too tightly, a button up deliberately has drape to it and will allow concealment.

You can move your holster to about 5:15-5:30 and put your t-shirt back on and see how it goes. You can use your holster to check Appendix too. it will not be ideal and I wouldn't carry it that way, but ten minutes in front of the mirror should help you figure it out.

So, you're faced with sort of three options as I see it - 1) Get some "gun burkas" as Tam calls them (button up shirts that conceal you gun) and don't change anything. 2) Switch holsters to a behind the hip or in front of the hip (appendix) type. 3) Switch to a much smaller and harder to shoot gun.

Personally, if I want to conceal wearing just a t-shirt it's either pocket or appendix carry. But most of the time, I prefer IWB or OWB under a button up shirt. I have a closet full of flat bottomed Tommy Bahama-type shirts now that work perfect for concealing a weapon.

-Rob

Thanks Rob. I should have mentioned sooner, I'm using a Wilderness Instructor's 5-stitch belt. I'll try moving the holster further back.

Site Supporter
    I had the same problem, but for different reasons. My dunlap pushes the grib of the pistol out. I didn't find a solution to the problem until I got my first 5 Shot SME and started carrying just in front of my hip bone. I have way too much belly to carry true AIWB but I found carrying forward of my hip bone with a holster designed to push the grip of the pistol towards my body to be the key. I have since experimented with the CCC Shaggy and it works pretty well, but not as well as the SME. I have no doubt a JM Custom AIWB would work as well as the Shaggy. Short version, look for a holster that uses some mechanism to push the grip towards your body and I don't think you will have any trouble with the 45c, I carry a P30 pretty much daily.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    ... 1) Get some "gun burkas" as Tam calls them (button up shirts that conceal you gun) and don't change anything.
    So THAT'S what she's been talking about this whole time?

I've been reading blog/posts/forum stuff by Tam for a bit, and I always imagined she was wearing an IDPA vest everywhere.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I buy "boyfriend-sized" chambray shirts, hiking shirts, fishing shirts, baseball jerseys, et cetera and wear them untucked and unbuttoned, but my boss lets me dress like a hobo so it's okay. (We're about at the seasonal switchover to oversized fleece pullovers.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List