Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a new Ed Brown 1911!

The interesting thing, for me, with Ed Brown pistols is how differently the Brown family approaches the business as opposed to their competition. With Wilson, the focus is reminiscent of Lexus, the relentless pursuit of perfection. A Wilson gun from ten years ago is nothing like one made last month, and the difference is striking. Wilson also keeps enlarging the breath of their 1911 offerings. Les Baer focuses on barrel fitting and skimps on finishing, exemplified by the famous cardboard box. Baer also does not built a true Commander, using a five-inch frame with a trimmed dust cover. Wilson also does not build a Commander, believing that their four-inch gun is more reliable by design. SACS builds a gun much like Baer, only with more options for the consumer. If you want a new 10mm from Baer, no dice, but SACS will build you a Baer-like gun in 10mm.

Brown though has built very much the same gun with the only differences being limited traction and finish choices. Almost all have been in .45 ACP, with the few 9x19 guns selling out very quickly. Brown offers true Commanders and five-inch guns that are all very similar. Brown fit and finish has been very consistent and very nice. Not as nice as the upper Wilson Supergrade guns but very close. Brown guns also seem to run. The rear sight is usually a bit loose in the dovetail to allow the owner to perform final sight-in of the gun. I have encountered more than a few used Browns with the sight stiil loose, making me wonder if the previous owner ever fired it.

A good friend (and FAST pin holder) had a horrific QC and CS experience with Ed Brown almost two years ago. He lost money on an Ed Brown that shot 6" high at 25 yards. Luckily, a certain wealthy tinkerer helped him out but after watching that unfold, I wouldn't recommend Ed Brown products.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    SACS builds a gun much like Baer, only with more options for the consumer.
    Didn't Les Baer work at Springfield before opening his own shop?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    A good friend (and FAST pin holder) had a horrific QC and CS experience with Ed Brown almost two years ago. He lost money on an Ed Brown that shot 6" high at 25 yards. Luckily, a certain wealthy tinkerer helped him out but after watching that unfold, I wouldn't recommend Ed Brown products.
    A 1911 that shoots high out of the box doesn't seem like a sufficient reason not to recommend a gun. I bought a Springfield TRP that shot 8" high at 25 yards. Springfield sent me a new lower rear Trijicon night sight without even verifying that I owned the gun. It's now the only gun I own with nonadjustable sights that shoots exactly POA/POI at 25 yards. Seems to be a trivial fix if the rest of the gun is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    A 1911 that shoots high out of the box doesn't seem like a sufficient reason not to recommend a gun. I bought a Springfield TRP that shot 8" high at 25 yards. Springfield sent me a new lower rear Trijicon night sight without even verifying that I owned the gun. It's now the only gun I own with nonadjustable sights that shoots exactly POA/POI at 25 yards. Seems to be a trivial fix if the rest of the gun is OK.
    Ed Brown's CS was arrogant and not at all helpful in this case.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I was window shopping nice 1911s, at the SHOT show, about 10 years ago. My experience with Ed Brown's son was so bad that I went a few booths down and bought a bunch of Baers, GJM style. There was no way I could give Brown my business.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I was window shopping nice 1911s, at the SHOT show, about 10 years ago. My experience with Ed Brown's son was so bad that I went a few booths down and bought a bunch of Baers, GJM style. There was no way I could give Brown my business.
    One or the same son was involved with the case I am recounting. Not at all good CS.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    If I recall correctly, Baer built race cars/ engines, then had his own shop building custom guns / race guns on customer supplied guns prior to starting the custom shop for Springfield. He then started making his own semi customs after leaving Springfield.

I've been very happy with my Baers.

Well, I've owned an Ed Brown Special Forces before, as well as a Springfield Custom Shop gun 5-6 years ago (and many various production model 1911s prior to that).... When I was looking at which higher end 1911 to get back then, I did tons of reading on all the forums. I looked for all the negatives. Handled many of each brand of gun (drove to various shops if they had something in stock to actually handle)... I took a long time to decide...

In the end, I ordered a Springer Custom Shop gun, and waited about 13 months for it to arrive. While waiting on the Springer, I decided to buy a stainless Ed Brown Special Forces.

One can find issues with almost all of the different 1911 companies. I've seen some disgusting Nighthawk stories. Some Ed Brown issues, some issues with Les Baer. Sometimes it's a few people with similar stories of similar issues.... No company is perfect... And, complainers usually speak louder...

Wilson's guns never really interested me that much when I handled them, for whatever reason... Although, I will admit that they seem to have the best customer service. For various reasons, I didn't like the Les Baer guns as much as the Browns. Since I had a Brown before, and really, really liked it, I decided to go that route again back in July.... In the past (when I was deciding what to get) and at the present time, the Brown just felt better in my hand compared to a Nighthawk (I had come down to those two choices of brands).

And now, I decided I wanted a Brown again when I got the 1911 bug again back in May....

I will say that I was a bit disappointed in the Springfield Custom gun I previously had. While I suppose I wouldn't mind a Springfield Pro - I would NOT order another gun directly from them. The only way I'd buy one of their guns would be to see it in person prior to paying for it.

Heck, I think more of the the Dan Wesson Valor I purchased back in July than the Springer Custom I had back around 08-09. I had a lengthy discussion about that fact on the 1911 Addicts forum a couple of months ago concerning that issue. The fit and finish of the valor is much better than the $3k Springer Custom 9mm Full Rail Operator I had. I REALLY like that Valor because of that fact.
    Last edited by Shipwreck; 09-23-2014 at 08:54 AM.

I think shipwreck's new 1911 looks great and didn't mean to turn this thread into a Brown bash fest.
    #RESIST

User Tag List