Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Got a new Ed Brown 1911!

Your carry gun should be cleaned and oiled. Carrying a dirty gun only increases the odds something will happen.

That said, my pin gun has over 10k on it since the last cleaning. Because I've got better stuff to do than clean guns.

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    I don't see a need for a 2k test. I mean, where does it stop..A 3k test.. Etc...
    People are funny that way. We all have different opinions and priorities and thresholds, and personally I'm very glad that's the case! Maybe you could start a training journal here to document your process to be confident in your carry guns - I'm sure plenty of folks would prefer that over the 2K Challenge. For those who prefer the 2K Challenge, they can do that, instead. If someone out there really wants to do a 3K Challenge, they can do that. The great thing about guns is they're such a critical piece of our freedoms - including the freedom to treat your guns however you want!

I once had occasion for a certain nuclear engineer and gun-nerd to inspect the state of my carry gun. Behind the polite and friendly tone I'm pretty sure I detected layers of horror and disgust at spelunking through archeological layers of grime only to find sweat-rusted Tenifer underneath. In this case, after probably 5K since the last cleaning and a summer's worth of daily carry during long mountain rucks without firing it or even unholstering it at all, the grime actually hindered function and I now function-check more often and clean whenever I notice sluggish operation. I found my comfort point through trial and error - especially error - and we all find our comfort points in our own way. I suspect you may be dismayed by how I'd treat a $6K Burton gun if I owned one. Because as long as it goes bang every time, I like my guns like I like my woman: dirty, dangerous, and attached to my belt.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Your carry gun should be cleaned and oiled. Carrying a dirty gun only increases the odds something will happen.
    That's my opinion as well.

Maybe you could start a training journal here to document your process to be confident in your carry guns -
    I document every range trip with the number of rounds, and the date, along with the brand of ammo. When I change recoil springs and what not, I document it there too. It's just a MS Word file. When I sell a gun, I cut the info and paste it to the bottom page of that file. Then I start doing this with any new gun I buy. So, I know the exact round count.

But, I just take different guns on different range trips. I usually don't have an issue. If I do - I document it. If it is a carry gun, then I will go several times within 2-3 weeks and put 1k thru it before I'll trust it again.

I go shoot for fun - but also want to be good with my carry weapons. Like I said - that's it. If I disassembled the slide and removed the internals - THEN I function test it before relying on it. BUt even then, I clean it right after.

We all have our preferences, I get that. I just would never participate in this 2k test. I don't see the point.

I have extra cleaning supplies and what not on purpose. If the SHTF for real - I can still clean the gun at some point if I had to fire it in self defense. That's assuming I had enough ammo on me for this to even be an issue...

Site Supporter
    I think tighter fit guns like 1911s if they're running in the first 100 without issue, you can expect decent reliability. You also see about 12-15 reloads (depending on mag size). Other semi-custom manufacturers don't want to hear about problems in the first 100; so there don't seem to be "wear in" issues.

I will also say Ed Brown is a well known small parts provider used by other manufacturers. So I'd say he's probably going to be just fine and like he said its a range gun.

Sounds great to me. I'll say this about competition, after shooting competition if I have money and ammo to burn I'm going to a match and not the range these days. The squad your with is fun, the course challenging, the pressure is there, you shoot on the move, and you can measure progress. The cost is the same.

That's just my preference these days.

Guys don't fumble reloads like throwing the mag in the air, etc. like they do at a match in my experience or forget to properly seat a mag. I find that under pressure, all the bad habits show up, poor muscle memory, poor execution.

That may help you curb the new gun fever. I get bored with guns too; but, I enjoy shooting the same gun I carry more proficiently because I practice with it. It helps incentivize doing the same thing again and again in practice; because I can measure myself against others and see I am improving or at least acknowledge what's stayed the same and what hasnt.

Those factors in my opinion are what make shooting competition very important. Slack on your dry fire and slide lock reloads? When you're squirming to find your magazines and load the gun under time you'll remember why you practiced. ETA: Or letting your trigger out run your sights like I did Saturday.

YMMV. It also tells me what I need to work on.

By reading his post I thought he meant he was just looking for more data on those 100 rounds, not necessarily that he believed more than 100 rounds should have been shot.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Well, I put a bit over 200 rounds through mine last Saturday, with more planned for this Friday. Is that enough?

C'mon, man... we're talking Ed Brown pistols here, not some latest/greatest iteration of combat tupperware. It either works, or it doesn't. And if it works, it will most likely have far more inherent accuracy than you, I, or anyone here can hold to.

Definitely not trying to diss anyone... but I'm just wondering what, exactly, you're looking for in the OP's "report". These things aren't new-concept/unproven products.

Shipwreck, check out the drills section of http://pistol-training.com/drills. There are plenty of stuff you can do on a regular range without ninja rolls or whatever. A popular favorite is Dot Torture. Might make your 100 round visits to the range more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    I agree...

... it doesn't have to be "spotless" and a gun being dirty doesn't mean it won't work but it will add variables and in my experience variables are what help fumble an otherwise functional gun.
    Heirloom Preicison
    www.heirloomprecision.com

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    By reading his post I thought he meant he was just looking for more data on those 100 rounds, not necessarily that he believed more than 100 rounds should have been shot.

Shipwreck, check out the drills section of http://pistol-training.com/drills. There are plenty of stuff you can do on a regular range without ninja rolls or whatever. A popular favorite is Dot Torture. Might make your 100 round visits to the range more interesting.
    Thanks for the link. I will check it out when I get home.

I'm hoping we can turn you from a collector/photographer of guns to a shooter of guns!

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    Thanks for the link. I will check it out when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post

LL, yes.

I was responding to misanthropist's post (#42).

I know, I believe misanthropist just meant that saying "i shot 100 rounds" wasn't adequate in terms of information given, not quantity fired.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    LL, yes.

I was responding to misanthropist's post (#42).

User Tag List