Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressors on self defense AR's

Suppressors on self defense AR's

What do you think about suppressors on AR's for self defense?
    Myself, I think a suppressor is mandatory on a AR that's going to used indoors.
    I have a 12" suppressed AR as one of my house guns because it's short enough to handle but the suppressor takes away the disconcerting, obnoxious concussion from 5.56 in confined spaces.
    For a rifle that's going to be used primarily outdoors like a car gun or camping rifle I take a whole other approach, I do not want it suppressed.
    I remember a interview on the 1986 Miami FBI shootout, where the one FBI Agent said that the noise of the Mini-14 being fired in his direction was "demoralizing", for some reason that quote has stuck with me and makes a lot of sense.
    Indoors the suppressor helps me more than it hurts, outdoors I think the concussion might be an advantage.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Only time I ever got demoralized by a round in my direction is if I could see it impacting close, especially in the direction of cover I wanted/ when I swear a really close shot made both my ears ring. I don't think I ever noticed the report of a gun to bother me, it was the effect that the round had both with sound, pressure, and obvious impacts. Hope that makes sense

completely agree on suppressors, I knew a locked on SGT who wanted one for each of the rifleman in his squad for communication reasons when buddy team rushing or maneuvering.

Makes perfect sense to me, but how do you plan to open doors one handed? What about the OAL it adds?

A 10.5+Mini4/M4-S seems to be the optimal setup to me, but that's definitely not hearing safe.

Or go 7" 5.56 full Noise Marines style.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Makes perfect sense to me, but how do you plan to open doors one handed? What about the OAL it adds?
    My 12" SBR with a AAC Ranger 2 is about 1" longer OAL than a 16" AR.
    I don't really have any problems handling it one handed for short periods of time.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I think its a very good idea.

I'm pretty much of a noise weenie. Everyone says that when hunting or whatever you don't notice the noise, but I usually do (only recall once not noticing it), and the instant I've shot its been very painful and I said a lot of bad words. I wont take a shot hunting without having ear plugs in. If I miss getting a shot,..oh well, it wasn't as important as my hearing. I've already messed it up quite a bit. I'd love a suppressor for all sorts of things, like shooting in the yard.

This is why I keep my Sordins in the bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Phrasing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Personally, I only own 10.5" and 11.5" ARs. I own 2 5.56 suppressors, an SWR Renegade and a KAC NT4. Frankly, I've been very blessed that I don't experience ANY POI shift with either suppressor (but I do with various other suppressors in various other calibers). So... I don't really see the point to shooting 5.56 unsuppressed. Ever. I would completely change my tune if it were on a 16" or longer gun, though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post

A 10.5+Mini4/M4-S seems to be the optimal setup to me, but that's definitely not hearing safe.
    I have an 11.5 that I use with either an M4M or M4S. Neither adds too much weight or length for me to maneuver indoors or open and negotiate doorways.

I have found that the smaller suppressors are great for removing some of the concussive blast indoors, particularly with SBRs, many of which have muzzle brakes to act as sacrificial baffles. I use them knowing it will not be hearing safe, but it will reduce the blastiness. They will also reduce the flash, though I still get some with 193 and the M4S in particular.

The benefit of the Ops (and now Allen Engineering) cans are with the reflex design they cut the OAL compared to other designs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    That's a great idea, put them on the rifle.

User Tag List