Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Why a shotgun?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    That's a funny correction. I had actually originally written "3000" but I was just goofing around and thought "5000" might better express the fact that there'd be no way to perceive the 9 individual rouds. I didn't even think about doing the math on it.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Anyway, back on subject, long guns allow the holder to keep both hand on the gun and give quite a bit of leverage if one has the training to us it.
    Especially when used with a sling, the weapon is attached to the user and adds a significant degree of control and retention. Even if the leverage battle is temporarily lost, a sling gives the user a chance to regain control.

I haven't tried it yet but I would guess that a slung up long gun would be fairly difficult to use against the person it was attached to, as well.

This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I haven't tried it yet but I would guess that a slung up long gun would be fairly difficult to use against the person it was attached to, as well.

Outside of beating them with it, or going for a sling choke, you are correct.

One of my things is weapon retention training, something I have been involved with for decades.

The easiest guns to disarm other people of are long barreled handguns. Fact.
    Chuck,
    In your weapons retention training have y'all ever used a long gun as an impact weapon? It's not something taught much anymore that I've seen and what little bit of training I received was a long time ago. I'm just curious if it's still a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Chuck,
    In your weapons retention training have y'all ever used a long gun as an impact weapon? It's not something taught much anymore that I've seen and what little bit of training I received was a long time ago. I'm just curious if it's still a consideration.
    Yes.

KCMO PD even has, or at least had, a block of instruction on the shotgun as an emergency impact weapon.

I'll throw out that this body of knowledge likely pre-dates even flintlocks.

Yes.

KCMO PD even has, or at least had, a block of instruction on the shotgun as an emergency impact weapon.

I'll throw out that this body of knowledge likely pre-dates even flintlocks.
    Just because its old doesn't mean it's not effective. :-)
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I currently, and temporarily, have my hands on a box-mag-fed, 14" barreled, collapsible-stocked pump shotgun.
    This intrigues me.

I can definitely give you my thoughts on it in a few days...it's on loan from a magazine for review so the whole point is for me to give it a once-over.

So far the big thing that's struck me about this particular gun is that there's no action lock, so you can just go ahead and rack it to empty the chamber without screwing around with a release. I like that. I won't know much about the performance of the thing for a few days but I have to say I like the concept. I'm going to burn a few hundred rounds and pattern it with buck, and then I'll probably have something to say. I have my fingers crossed.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how easy it would be to import one into the US so even if it's great, I think you're probably out of luck on that score.

Anyone here have experience with 12 G flechette rounds vs soft armor? I was thinking of getting a few to experiment with. I'm led to understand that they will defeat soft armor. If so, and prove reliable, I'm thinking that the first two or three rounds in the old Mossberg will be those.

User Tag List