Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Why a shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I was just providing the link. I'm withholding editorial commentary for the nonce.
    My apologies. That wasn't directed at you. I've disagreed with Grant on more than one occasion. I should have been more specific.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Personally I wouldn't want a can on a handgun for typical defensive use. Leaves way too much handle for someone to grab, even if you tuck back into retention.
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Does a long gun (rifle, shotgun) not offer the same or more potential leverage?
    I think the grab/leverage potential is far different for a suppressed pistol than a long gun.

If someone grabs the barrel of a long gun, they don't render it inoperable: they just gain some control of its orientation. You can still fire the long gun while it's being grabbed. Also, if you're able to break contact, the long gun is still fully operational.
    (Yes, some shotguns will be more vulnerable than others to having their action manipulated in some unintended way. Something like an AR, however, isn't going to mechanically suffer from someone grabbing the barrel.)

If someone grabs the suppressor on your pistol, they can immediately move it out of battery. This doesn't require any knowledge of firearms: just the natural grabbing and twisting of the exposed 'handle' is likely enough to temporarily prevent the pistol from being fired. If the pistol is fired while the can is being held, it will most likely malfunction. But whether or not you fire, if you're able to break contact, there's a higher chance (compared to the long gun) that the pistol is now in a state of malfunction.

None of this is offering my opinion on the overall decision to choose one over the other. Rather, I just see a big difference in the grab/leverage issue between the two choices that I think is worth considering.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

One of my things is weapon retention training, something I have been involved with for decades.

The easiest guns to disarm other people of are long barreled handguns. Fact.

One of my things is weapon retention training, something I have been involved with for decades.

The easiest guns to disarm other people of are long barreled handguns. Fact.
    The longer the barrel and attachments are the more leverage the enemy has on the pistol shooter. I've seen this in classes with Glock 17/19 vs. 2" revolver.

On service sized handguns, from actually working the problem, I note that many of the lights make it tougher to grab the gun due to spreading the grip out.

What's easier to hold on to, a baseball bat at the grip end or the business end?

Snub revolvers are the toughest guns to take away, especially if they have a three finger grip on them instead of the boot type grips.

Anyway, back on subject, long guns allow the holder to keep both hand on the gun and give quite a bit of leverage if one has the training to us it.

On service sized handguns, from actually working the problem, I note that many of the lights make it tougher to grab the gun due to spreading the grip out.

What's easier to hold on to, a baseball bat at the grip end or the business end?

Snub revolvers are the toughest guns to take away, especially if they have a three finger grip on them instead of the boot type grips.

Anyway, back on subject, long guns allow the holder to keep both hand on the gun and give quite a bit of leverage if one has the training to us it.
    Chuck, I appreciate your input and the fact that it's one of "your things." I don't mean to devalue it at all. However, I do think the suppressor offers some advantages. I suppose a person has to weigh their options in terms of likelihood and importance as to whether suppressing the sound of the shot and decreasing the recoil is a worthwhile tradeoff for offering an attacker a greater leverage point in disarming you.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Chuck, I appreciate your input and the fact that it's one of "your things." I don't mean to devalue it at all. However, I do think the suppressor offers some advantages. I suppose a person has to weigh their options in terms of likelihood and importance as to whether suppressing the sound of the shot and decreasing the recoil is a worthwhile tradeoff for offering an attacker a greater leverage point in disarming you.
    I'll throw out the thought that a person needing to worry about recoil control on a 9mm handgun is likely a person needing to think more about handgun retention than perhaps someone with greater physical capabilities.

Last edited by 1slow; 10-22-2014 at 10:20 AM.

My post was redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I currently, and temporarily, have my hands on a box-mag-fed, 14" barreled, collapsible-stocked pump shotgun.

I'm taking it to a 1-day course/drill session on Sunday. I've never been a shotgun guy at all; I'm pretty sure I've written the entire article referenced above several times on various forums while explaining my reluctance to use shotguns and my preference for ARs.

Now I have a shotgun which obviates my single biggest issue: reload times. And in Canada, the pump gun is non-restricted...i.e. in theory at least, I could sling it and walk to work. In practise of course this would result in immediate ERT intervention but in theory, it's a carry gun, even in Canada.

Suddenly I find myself liking the idea of what is basically a legally-no-different-than-a-over-under, 5000 RPM .32 SMG stuck on 9-round burst, with FMJ-stuffed mags ranging in size from 54 to 180 rounds. Yeah...I'm totally comfortable with this as a home defense machine.

I'm sticking a T1 and an X300u on top and I think I'm going to tear some targets up big time this Sunday.

Coincidentally I own an 870 that I literally never use. I own it solely because it was cheap and I felt like I was supposed to own one. If this machine works out I'm definitely dumping it and insisting they give me the gun when all is said and done.
    With .17 splits, it's about a 3177 RPM .32 SMG on 9 round burst, just to be exact.

And that's a really neat way of thinking about it. Hoping that Rhino AR-10 shotgun turns out better/more reliable than the (horribly clunky) MKA1919/TAC-12A1 or the (fall apart) Saiga 12. That's a phrasing I can get behind.

User Tag List