Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Why a shotgun?

Site Supporter
    I'm not a fan of the 20 gauge with buckshot. The only readily available load is #3 buck, which is a bit light and may not penetrate enough. It also tends to pattern horribly.

Most folks wind up going to 3" 20 gauge shells to get a decent payload. They recoil as much or more than low recoil 12 ga rounds. I'd stick with 12 ga and low recoil, and a shortened stock. Even small people can handle these just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    If I may be so bold as to risk a slight diversion (on the Internet? Say it ain't so!), do any manufacturers sell a 20 gage outfitted for the home defense/tactical role?
    Maybe it's just a devotion to Tradition!, but I would like to equip Mrs. Drang with a scattergun. It'd probably be cheaper than the AR she wants me to build her. (Dura-coated lavender. Or was it teal? I forget...)
    I got my wife a Mossberg 510 in 20 ga:

http://www.mossberg.com/search/node/510

It has an 18.5" barrel and only holds 3 rounds in the tube, but is very small and light and handy. The way the forend attaches, I am under no illusions that it is a "hard use" gun, but she likes it. It is currently sporting a magnetic green FO front sight on the rib (picked up from the local Scheels to try out) and a Streamlight Polytac LED light in an elzetta mount. Haven't really run it much in that configuration yet, but it is on the to-do list.

Other pumps:

http://www.mossberg.com/search/node/20%20ga

Semi-autos:

http://www.mossberg.com/products/sho...national-sa-20
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 09-25-2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    I'm not a fan of the 20 gauge with buckshot. The only readily available load is #3 buck, which is a bit light and may not penetrate enough. It also tends to pattern horribly.

Most folks wind up going to 3" 20 gauge shells to get a decent payload. They recoil as much or more than low recoil 12 ga rounds. I'd stick with 12 ga and low recoil, and a shortened stock. Even small people can handle these just fine.
    Conversely, I am now a big fan of the 20 gauge as a Brenneke slug launcher, in the form of a Benelli M2. It recoils noticeably less than the 12 gauge, while also being a lightweight, great handling piece that is easier to shoot one hand or by a small stature person. I don't think any person or animal in North America will notice the difference between a 12 and 20 gauge Brenneke.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post

Tom,

What about #1B in 20 guage?:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/20-gau...buck-shot-ammo

Spec's from Rio's website:

http://www.rioammo.com/rio_buckshot.html

Site Supporter
    Sotex-

In theory the Rio #1 buck load would be good, but I would have to pattern some.

GJM- Agreed on the 20ga Brenneke. A .60 caliber bullet is serious stuff.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    If I may be so bold as to risk a slight diversion (on the Internet? Say it ain't so!), do any manufacturers sell a 20 gage outfitted for the home defense/tactical role?
    Maybe it's just a devotion to Tradition!, but I would like to equip Mrs. Drang with a scattergun. It'd probably be cheaper than the AR she wants me to build her. (Dura-coated lavender. Or was it teal? I forget...)
    Just mentioned your name an hour or so ago, when I was standing in Premier Arms and coonfingering a little 20ga 870 complete with factory mag tube extension and sling swivels. Those youth guns, with the shorter LOP and smaller, lighter receivers just handle so schweetly...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    How many rounds does it hold?
    6 + 1 with the extension, 4 + 1 without.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Rob Haught used a 14" 870 in a class I took.
    'Haught' rhymes with 'haute,' as in 'haute cuisine,' not 'ought,' as in 'one ought to take that class before complaining about shotgun recoil.'

Site Supporter
    I ordered some of the 20 ga #1 buck we discussed earlier. I'll pattern it and report the results.

Wilson Combat worked on 20 gauges for a while, not sure if they still do. I have one that they did probably 13 or 14 years ago, built on my old childhood 870 Express squirrel gun. It's light as hell, handles like a dream (even with a 20" barrel and 3-round tube extension), and is a wonderful gun. My biggest issue has been finding good 20 gauge defensive ammo. None of the major ammo makers produces anything heavier than #3 buck, and that's only in 3" mags, which kind of defeats the purpose. If Federal came out with a #1 Buck FC load in 20 gauge, I'd be hopping around for joy.

User Tag List