Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Derp Test

Derp Test

I started thinking of having some fun, after this week's PF drama, and wanted to come up with a drill that might become a drill of the week/month or whatever we are calling it. It turned out to be a great test and drill. I shot it a bunch this afternoon, it initially kicked my butt, and I plan to shoot it regularly as it incorporates a number of things I have been working on lately. Here it is.

The Derp Test. Derp meaning distance, efficient reload, and perception. Distance because it is shot at 25 yards, efficient reload for obvious reasons, and perception because it incorporates shot calling, since you can shoot as many shots as you want.

USPSA cardboard target at 25 yards. Start position from the holster, open or concealed as desired. Draw and shoot at least two shots to the body, one to the head, reload (slide forward unless you have run dry), at least two to the body, one to the head. Best four to the body count and best two to the head. USPSA major/minor scoring. For minor an A is 5, B/C is 3, D is 1, and a miss is -10 + the points lost by the miss. Major an A is 5, B/C 4, D 2, and the same -10 for the miss. Score divided by time gives a hit factor. 30 points max possible. The upper A is quite small at 25 yards!

I know Gabe will kick my butt, but here is how I ended up:

30 points/8.53 hit factor 3.52
    28 points/7.39 hit factor 3.79
    28/8.20 hit factor 3.41

My wife did great:

30/9.48 hit factor 3.16
    26/8.40 hit factor 3.09
    26/9.16 hit factor 2.83
    30/10.79 hit factor 2.78
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Cool idea! Derp Test. Could be an instant classic.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

What I like about it, is that it forces a mix of bullseye and speed, with more difficult shooting after a reload. Plus, it forces you to know the POA/POI of your sights and something about the accuracy of your pistol/ammo combination. If you can shoot head shots at 25, under timer pressure, my sense is you are good to go across the distance envelope of a service pistol. Once my wife and I started shooting it, we couldn't stop -- it was that challenging and fun.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I don't currently have any USPSA targets on hand. I believe Todd's PT target would be an acceptable substitute though.

If I incorporate some movement into the drill, can I call it "Derpmo?"
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I'm game to D.E.R.P. myself. Off to order some targets...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

A B-8 center at 25 yards, using the scoring rings, will give you plenty enough challenge if a proper DERP target is not available…

Is there a "downsized" target available so this (and other drills) can be run on a shorter range? (I.e., 1/3 scale target for 25 foot range, typical of indoor ranges around here.)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    A B-8 center at 25 yards, using the scoring rings, will give you plenty enough challenge if a proper DERP target is not available…

I've got plenty of those on hand. Ordered some USPSA targets so I can go full DERP.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

That's what I was thinking, and will have to work with the next time I hit the range. Looks like a fun test.

I'm going to try to run this and the DotW next time I hit the range. If you don't have a cardboard target, the P-T bottle target should work as well.
    Sheep Have Wool

User Tag List