Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military EDC through the ages

Military EDC through the ages

I thought some of the history buffs would appreciate this.
    From the crude weaponry and armour of the Battle of Hastings, to the high-tech kit of modern conflict, a new photographic survey explores the personal equipment carried by the common British soldier through the past 1,000 years.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Super cool. Thanks!
    Sheep Have Wool

That's really cool. I'm glad I got to check it out.

Very nice.
    Weights would be interesting

I think I'd much rather be shot than impaled by by one of those sharpy pointy doodads. Very cool link!

I would be interested to see a weight comparison of all of the "loadouts" listed. I would be the modern warfighter carries nearly as much weight as a mounted knight from the middle ages.

Quote Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
    I would be interested to see a weight comparison of all of the "loadouts" listed. I would be the modern warfighter carries nearly as much weight as a mounted knight from the middle ages.
    They definitely carry more than the Greatest Generation did.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
    Not sure if it's changed since I got out in 2011, but the common number range thrown around was an average combat load of 90-135lbs.

IIRC, a full suit of European medieval plate armor would be about 40-50lbs. Add another 10-20 lbs for weapons. The rest would be carried by the horse or squires.

I'm guessing our stuff is also much more ergonomic, not as hot, and much easier to accept blunt trauma blows. That metal helmet or armor wasn't very well padded with the exception of a thick quilted piece of cloth.

Where's our resident medieval arms and armor expert, Trooper224?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    On the weight issue for modern soldiers, a very true Lightfighter Quote (7th ID - Manchu) is still true today - "100 lbs of high speed, lightweight "stuff" is still 100 lbs". The helmet, body armor, hydration system, plates, mags, radio, GPS, rifle, stuff hanging off rifle add up fast. I think knee replacements will be common for my generation.

Cool link. Amazing how much has changed, and how much hasn't really.

Semi-related-ish, body of King Richard III found and cause of death determined by examining wounds to his skull:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-l...shire-29222775

User Tag List