Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Temple Index

Thanks LL, 5 minutes of my life wasted. You know I'm kidding.

The only thing I can see is it kept him from flagging anyone that may have been nearby during a scan.

I'll pass on this. Thanks anyway Lumpy....

I'm taking one of Petty's low light/vehicle cqb courses in October. IIRC, the method is used mostly with vehicles to prevent pointing the weapon at the lower extremities.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k74HqEPxePY
    Petty gives a brief explanation at 1min 40secons

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Supposedly full time LEO and trainer for his PD.
    Your second clue about this guy is when he says:

"… having been a cop…"

"...whenever I changed agencies…"

That's where I stopped watching. I know guys like that. I always feel the need for having a bag of peanuts handy when I talk with them.

BTW… the first clue is the fact that he's standing in shade, wearing cool-beans Oakley look-alikes and a CamelBak… while doing video. Seriously? A CamelBak while making a talk-only video? The only thing missing is the beard.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Your second clue about this guy is when he says:

"… having been a cop…"

"...whenever I changed agencies…"

That's where I stopped watching. I know guys like that. I always feel the need for having a bag of peanuts handy when I talk with them.

BTW… the first clue is the fact that he's standing in shade, wearing cool-beans Oakley look-alikes and a CamelBak… while doing video. Seriously? A CamelBak while making a talk-only video? The only thing missing is the beard.

Copy on the LE stuff, noted for future reference.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I also distinctly recall DocGKR speaking about how Kyle Defoor utilized a variant of it for running with the handgun, not to mention the aforementioned Tom Petty/Steve Fisher vehicles class.

Beyond that, Matthew Graham (who popularized the eponymous Graham method) also appears to utilize this temple index during the scan and assess:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Qm2mHQ_Ok#t=162

I guess the problem here is that there is no context for why it is used (and the rebuttal on ENDO certainly doesn't clarify anything). I have some SWAGs as to why he might do that, but they're really nothing more than that, so I'll not embarrass myself by broadcasting them to the public.
    For running with a handgun, I was taught finger on register, arm locked out, pointed at the ground by my side. This bit of technique was taught to me by "SOUTHNARC" during one of his AMIS courses. His reason for it is two-fold.

One, is safety. If you fall, your finger off the bang-switch and the weapon not pumping up and down in your hand as you run is about as close to "safe" as falling with a loaded weapon can get. Two, it was taught in the context of moving through a structure, and it is low-profile physically, as well as allows you to fire behind you if needed by simply raising the arm toward the target and obtaining a sight picture, thus flagging less things as well as being a clean movement not likely to hit a door frame/furniture/whatever, if done behind yourself (as you just passed through that space.)

If someone has a better idea, I am very much in-tune to hear it, but I do not feel that this "temple index" is right for me, in my situation (civilian/home owner).

*not that I would clear a building by myself, either, unless I had ZERO choice, as is the premise of, and the take-away point from AMIS---it's stoopid dangerous and just stoopid stupid, unless you do NOT have time or an option.

I teach to run with the gun in a high 2, or just holster, run like hell, then draw again.

Are people now integrating a quick aerial drone scan in their search-and-assess?

Quote Originally Posted by opmike View Post
    Are people now integrating a quick aerial drone scan in their search-and-assess?
    I think we've got way worse things than drones to worry about up high.

If it's tactical enough for Dutch, it's good enough for me.
    Sheep Have Wool

Hey, now. Let's remember this is a technical discussion. We can start a new Romper Room thread to see who can come up with the funniest, most over-the-top technique that incorporates a movie reference.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

User Tag List