Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DC Carry Law Proposed by DC City Council...

DC Carry Law Proposed by DC City Council...

And it is as bad as you would think.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...f6f_story.html

The bill, Mendelson said, will permit city residents who own duly registered handguns and non-residents who hold state carrying licenses to apply to the D.C. police for a concealed carry permit. So-called open carry, such as the wearing of a weapon in a holster, will not be allowed under the proposed law, he said.

D.C. carry permits will be issued on a “may carry” basis, giving great discretion to D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier on who will be allowed to carry firearms in the city. Applicants will have to state a reason for seeking a permit, Mendelson said.

“The concept behind it is the absolute, complete prohibition probably cannot sustain judicial review, so we’re focusing on the individual,” Mendelson said. “What we want to do is minimize the indicators that a person might have a mental illness or history of violence or a criminal record.” Another goal, he added, is to “have a scheme that is relatively simple and can be understood.”
    So effectively no carry unless politically connected. And there is the usual no gun zones (visit the link for details) that make the life difficult for most citizens and visitors. But they invented a new gem of a no carry zone, 1,000 ft roving no carry zones around dignitaries and political events.

Predictable outcome. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts. ETA: The 1,000 feet proposal is interesting. At least they recognized that you have to actually be informed that you are within 1000 feet and refuse to leave before being charged with violating the law. Still silly, when in downtown D.C. are you likely to not be within 1000 feet of a dignitaries and/or political event?

Waiting to see what the class requirements are. A lot of folks who have been through my CHP class work in DC. It'll be interesting to see what the training requirements and costs are.
    "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters."

Frank Lloyd Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Waiting to see what the class requirements are. A lot of folks who have been through my CHP class work in DC. It'll be interesting to see what the training requirements and costs are.
    It is a 4 hour course just for ownership, I wouldn't be surprised if it is 8-16 hours requirement to carry.

OTOH they might not put a training requirement because they have no intention of issuing permits except among the big shots that would be annoyed to take a class.

I am so applying. The potential for confusion & chaos is too great to refrain...

Kind of sounds like they lifted NJ's setup.

With any luck they'll pass it, it'll get challenged immediately, and hopefully the courts strike it down. Then we can use that as ammo here to go after ours.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Dignitaries are more important than you, I, or our families.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    when in downtown D.C. are you likely to not be within 1000 feet of a dignitaries and/or political event?
    For those that don't know, "Downtown" DC has a specific definition, and it's only 50 acres big/small. A 1000' (radius) bubble inside of that parcel seems pretty big, IMO.
    Last edited by JV_; 09-18-2014 at 06:55 AM.

The 1000' bubble shows that the "dignitaries" understand the true meaning and intent of the 2nd.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

At any point in time might these bubbles and civilians-are-second-class zones by chance covering all of DC?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List