Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Razor HD 1-6

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Have you tried a TR24 Accupoint? It has pretty much the best 1x of any of the low power variables, it's relatively light, and, like an Aimpoint, you don't have to worry about battery life.
    I forgot this in my OP, but that's another scope I've been thinking about. If you don't care about ranging or hold over points, the scope seems like a winner. Since this is a 16 inch 5.56 gun, based on what I've read here from Sean and Doc Roberts, I'm thinking effective range is really somewhere around 200 yards. The range I belong to only goes out to 300 yards. I'm not sure how much I care about hold overs at that point. It's a CL barrel and I'd be shooting from the prone w/ no bipod, so really I'm looking to keep these in the black on a 200 yard NRA target at 300 yards. I'm not sure I really care about hold overs.

I don't think it's as great of a scope as the Vortex, but it's also much cheaper.

And God help me, part of me still wants an ACOG. I just think they're cool. I'm not sure how much they bring to the table any more in the era of 1-4/1-6 scopes, but there's something about them I just enjoy.

I've always wanted to like the Accupoints, but they've never really appealed to me for whatever reason. And the TA3 ACOG is still. Y favorite optic by far, so I'm not sure why I don't like the Accupoint.

Which is a big part of the problem with playing with scopes at this level, the cost commitment of so etching over $1k that you. Ay or may not like.

I'll be shooting to 400 on 6"x18" poppers at a match this weekend with my suppressed 14.5" BCM upper and Meopta 1x4. 5.56 may not do a lot of damage at 400, but a well built M4 is sure enough accurate at that range.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    I forgot this in my OP, but that's another scope I've been thinking about. If you don't care about ranging or hold over points, the scope seems like a winner. Since this is a 16 inch 5.56 gun, based on what I've read here from Sean and Doc Roberts, I'm thinking effective range is really somewhere around 200 yards. The range I belong to only goes out to 300 yards. I'm not sure how much I care about hold overs at that point. It's a CL barrel and I'd be shooting from the prone w/ no bipod, so really I'm looking to keep these in the black on a 200 yard NRA target at 300 yards. I'm not sure I really care about hold overs.

I don't think it's as great of a scope as the Vortex, but it's also much cheaper.

And God help me, part of me still wants an ACOG. I just think they're cool. I'm not sure how much they bring to the table any more in the era of 1-4/1-6 scopes, but there's something about them I just enjoy.
    I really like ACOGs, especially the TA33 that rob_s mentioned because of what it does for the size/weight, but I still find ACOGs a little difficult if you are going to be doing a lot of 0-30 yard shooting. If it weren't for the increased prevalence 350+ yard targets in 3 gun, I'd still use an Accupoint. Because of the reticle, I zeroed the Accupoint like iron sights. I had 200, 300, and 400 yard zeros marked on the turret so that I could easily switch zeroes (off the clock) if a stage required a lot of longer shots. The triangle models work extremely well on 1x and provide a very precise aimpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I really like ACOGs, especially the TA33 that rob_s mentioned because of what it does for the size/weight, but I still find ACOGs a little difficult if you are going to be doing a lot of 0-30 yard shooting.
    The keys to overcoming this, for me, have been:
    1) a flip-up cap on the objective end (making the TA33 in particular one of the few ACOGs I'm willing to work with) and keeping it closed, and both eyes open, for close-range stuff.
    2) using that optic almost exclusively because even #1 has a pretty steep learning curve and a rapid drop-off if not maintained.

Even with the above, I find the "dead zone" of the TA33 to be around the 40-60 yard range. Depending on the COF, it's too far for the closed-cap trick but too close to rapidly transition between targets on something like the 9-hole, shooting under/around a vehicle, etc. But, even that is mitigated by constant sustainment training through use.

Site Supporter
    I get a huge shift in PoI when using the sight occluded. It makes tight shots on 30-60 yard partials very difficult. I also don't like how using the sight occluded effects barricade shooting. As you mentioned, something like the 9 hole drill requires the cap to be open and dealing with the narrow FoV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

that's where the repeated and constant use comes in, at least for me. When I pick it up again after a long hiatus (I shot nothing but irons for 12 months up until two months ago) it takes a bit to get the sense of where/when to use what condition of the optic, and even with the cover open how to use the correct eye/focus-shift (at least that's what I call it). On the 9-hole, when I've been using the TA33 continuously for awhile, I just have to acquire the target with both eyes and hte cap up, and switch to one eye as I get settled into position. Takes longer to type than to do when everything is falling into place.

I'm open to the 1.x-Y variables, but like I said it's a big dollar commitment if it turns out not to be to my liking. There really isn't an inexpensive way to test the concept. I tried a VXR Patrol (cost = 0 for me on that one) and didn't like it, but the fans of the concept point out that it's not a "true 1x".

OP and all that have posted, what are your thoughts on this SS HD 1-6x24? Thought it might be another option.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-1-6x24-Ta...pe-P53845.aspx

ETA: ran across this US optics that is used but good condition.
    USOptics 1-4x22 SN-4S Slimline Rifle Scope
    http://www.samplelist.com/USOptics-1...-B-P69354.aspx
    Last edited by JM Campbell; 09-21-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Also found pretty good deals on the TR24 here ($850-890), you have to add to cart to see price.

http://www.sportoptics.com/search.aspx?keyword=tr24

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    OP and all that have posted, what are your thoughts on this SS HD 1-6x24? Thought it might be another option.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-1-6x24-Ta...pe-P53845.aspx
    I've only tried one on another shooters rifle at a match, but I found that eyebox to be pretty tight, and I thought the circule was too big to be useful as a close range aiming device on 1x. There's way more info on the SWFA and some of the other scopes discussed available here: http://artoftherifleblog.com/

User Tag List