Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vortex Razor HD 1-6

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I think the easiest way to select an optic is to decide on which features you really want because certain features are only available in a few optics. For example, most of the 1-x optics in the Vortex price range have similar glass, but very few have truly daylight bright illumination, and even fewer have a daylight bright dot. I really like having the dot, but lack of a daylight bright dot can be mostly overcome with good reticle design. I actually like the dots in the Vortex and VX-6 more than the Swaro Z6i because they are smaller and red instead of amber.

These are the features I really care about in a 1-x:

Good reticle: usable throughout the power range with and without illumination preferably with 1 or 1/2 mil holds for elevation and windage (I think in mils, so this will be highly user dependent). For me, smaller than 1 mil subtensions are more distracting than beneficial until the upper magnification range gets to about 8x.
    Forgiving eyebox: my primary use for this type of scope is 3gun so being able to quickly get behind the optic with no shadowing is very important. This is also important throughout the power range. Some scopes are ok on 1x, but have very tight eyeboxes at the upper magnification.
    Daylight bright dot: as discussed above, lack of this feature can be overcome with a good reticle design. Those that work the best for me without a dot are the SWFA 1-4, USO 1-4 DFP, and the Trijicon VCOG segmented circle reticle.
    Good field of view: again this matters throughout the power range
    I completely agree about the reticles. Anything with more than 1 mil marks just seems too busy for me at this power level and what I'll use it for. I've been thinking about the SWFA SS because the reticle looks like it would work with or without illumination like you said. I really like the USO SR4C, but it's just a little too expensive for me.

General question for anyone with some time behind a 1-x optic. How do they work for home defense? I would love to put a vortex 1-6 on my 16 inch recce and have that be my do it all gun from shooting at the range, to hunting, to carbine classes and home defense. However, if it is dramatically inferior to a red dot in the home defense role, I'm going to think about getting a red dot and maybe a little bit cheaper variable power scope, or maybe building up a second carbine over time if I'm trying to put too much requirements on one gun.

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    General question for anyone with some time behind a 1-x optic. How do they work for home defense? I would love to put a vortex 1-6 on my 16 inch recce and have that be my do it all gun from shooting at the range, to hunting, to carbine classes and home defense. However, if it is dramatically inferior to a red dot in the home defense role, I'm going to think about getting a red dot and maybe a little bit cheaper variable power scope, or maybe building up a second carbine over time if I'm trying to put too much requirements on one gun.
    The only drawback to something like the Vortex 1-6x Razor HD is when shooting in unconventional positions such as "roll-over" or "SBU" prone or shooting something like the VTAC 9 hole drill due to the limitations of the eye box of the scope. The Vortex is very forgiving in this area but still not like a non-magnified red dot.

The Vortex Razor HD 1-6x is a "True" 1x when dialed down as long as you are looking at something beyond 9 feet or so. Inside of 9 feet there is a slight magnification due to the curvature of the lens. There is no getting around that.

On all of the standard "CQB" carbine drills inside of 25yds, I see no difference in my first shot and split times with my Vortex 1-6x vs. my Eotech EXPS.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I've been eyeballing the 1-4/5/6s recently myself.

This being the only thread on the only forum I really trust on gun stuff anymore, I hope I'm not out of line by asking non-Vortex questions. Reading back over the OP, I feel that there is some room for other recommendations so I'm wondering:

Razor 1-6 or Nightforce 1-4?

Or XTR II 1-5?

Or are these each good entries...in different price ranges for very good reason?

How is the relative low light performance? It seems to me that the higher you go in magnification, the smaller the exit pupil is likely to be but I'm not super knowledgeable on optics function and the one guy I know who is (an old telescope nut), is a pacifist and would definitely not help me find a scope for slaying jerks. Not even paper jerks.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I wouldn't put any of the other variables you mentioned in the same category as the Vortex Razor 1-6x.

While the NF 1-4x has really good glass, it's illumination is nowhere near the brightness of the Vortex.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I've been eyeballing the 1-4/5/6s recently myself.

This being the only thread on the only forum I really trust on gun stuff anymore, I hope I'm not out of line by asking non-Vortex questions. Reading back over the OP, I feel that there is some room for other recommendations so I'm wondering:

Razor 1-6 or Nightforce 1-4?

Or XTR II 1-5?

Or are these each good entries...in different price ranges for very good reason?

How is the relative low light performance? It seems to me that the higher you go in magnification, the smaller the exit pupil is likely to be but I'm not super knowledgeable on optics function and the one guy I know who is (an old telescope nut), is a pacifist and would definitely not help me find a scope for slaying jerks. Not even paper jerks.

In general, would you tend to agree with the premise in the OP - that there really is a clear choice at the Razor's price point and it's the Razor?

I.e. is the next step down a major step?

And how does the Razor 1-6 compare with the older 1-4? Does anyone know?
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.

In general, would you tend to agree with the premise in the OP - that there really is a clear choice at the Razor's price point and it's the Razor?

Absolutely. I say the Vortex Razor 1-6x is on par with 1-6x scopes priced much higher on every feature aside from its weight. The other 1-6x scopes in its price range are lacking on a few features when compared to the Razor. I T&E'd the Bushnell "Elite Tactical" 1-6x which was nowhere near the Vortex Razor in-terms of build quality, eyebox, illumination, or clarity of the glass.

I appreciate your thoughts on that...the Bushnell was another scope I'd been kicking around.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter

And how does the Razor 1-6 compare with the older 1-4? Does anyone know?
    They're completely different scopes. The 1-4 is a FFP traditionally illuminated scope, and the 1-6 is a SFP with a battery illuminated fiber optic dot. I'm not really a fan of the reticle in the 1-4 either.

Depending on what you want, there are other good scopes in the Vortex's price range from SWFA, Trijicon, USO, Bushnell, and Leupold, but I think they all give something up to the Vortex for my uses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I really just want the lightest 4x or 6x Aimpoint replacement.
    Have you tried a TR24 Accupoint? It has pretty much the best 1x of any of the low power variables, it's relatively light, and, like an Aimpoint, you don't have to worry about battery life.

User Tag List