Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 42 vs. 642 range report

My holster looks exactly like Nick's

Site Supporter
    I recently bought 3 G42 mags from http://www.topgunsupply.com/glock-magazines-page-2/. I see they are out of stock. However, they had a good price and were quick. Had them two days after the order.

Funny - I got a G42 from Americanaarms in Beeville, TX when they were at the local gun show. GT in Austin said they were back ordered for months but Americana had the same price. The only hitch was that I told them I wanted one and they brought it to the next show. Had lots like that.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    The .380 Golden Sabers are too long OAL. Rusty had the same issue with his LCP.

So, Ken, you're considering this for a "low-threat environment" primary?

I think you made a comment about rem GS OAL being too long at one of my topics. Rem Black Belt

The GSB9MMD 124gr+P does appear rather long looking.

So I compared it with win ranger T 124gr +P and its the same length.

OP

I never give up using a S&W J frame for bug use.

I like the fact there no slide to set back. A good thing in CQ.

Also I'm able to hide it in my hand in a jacket pocket and able to fire it. Its nice to hold a handgun on a supposed bad guy without showing it.

Plus I suck at shooting 380 pocket pistols at distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

I never give up using a S&W J frame for bug use.

I like the fact there no slide to set back. A good thing in CQ.

Also I'm able to hide it in my hand in a jacket pocket and able to fire it. Its nice to hold a handgun on a supposed bad guy without showing it.

Plus I suck at shooting 380 pocket pistols at distance.
    I agree that the G42 can't replace a 642/442 for carrying in a jacket pocket. I've pointed a model 38/642/442 at more people than I can count who never had a clue that they were very far behind the power curve if things turned ugly. For me, that's the only role my J-frames will fill going forward. There is one other, and it's been touched on elsewhere. That's tangled shooting. I spent a fair amount of my early LSP time doing undercover stuff (Narcotics and Criminal Intelligence Sections).

Often my choice of pistols was an Airweight model 38 or bobbed hammer 36 with Pachmayr grips carried Appendix, no holster (criminals don't use holsters for a lot of reasons). It's almost impossible to generate enough leverage to rip that out combo out of your hand. If you are buying dope, negotiating deals, or mixing with criminals in a car, that's an important consideration.

As an old retired guy, my uses aren't so specialized. I'm almost always packing a larger Glock. The exception is some very low threat environments and dress. In that regard, I think I'm better armed with the G42 in my short's pocket than the 642, if only because I shoot it significantly better.

I can't shoot the very small .380s worth a crap either, having tried with a Ruger LSP and S&W Bodyguard. Trust me, the G42 is light years past those in shootability. It's big enough to shoot well but small adn light enough for a pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I haven't looked yet but would like to come up with more magazines.
    PSA has them in stock.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...d-mf42006.html

AIM has them in stock with the pinky extension.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...ion&groupid=16

Site Supporter
    Even though I am not a fan of .380s I really liked the way the g42 felt in my hand and found a local store that had it (and covered the taxes for me) so it was $425 out the door. It was a lot more comfortable to shoot than any of the other pocket .380s (keltec, LCP, diamondback) with target ammo, but defense ammo was about the same as shooting the other 380s. The trigger was also a lot heavier than any of the others, with a very sharp wall before the break. I found it wasn't any easier to shoot than my 442 or LCR especially when it came to defense ammo. I also had a harder time shooting it accurately one handed than my pocket revolvers. I will say that I picked up some of the 102 grain golden sabers before I heard people had issues, but I shot a box of them (25) with no issues. They also grouped a bit better than the winchester PDX1 I tried out. The only thing it has over the revolver is being flatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    So I compared it with win ranger T 124gr +P and its the same length.

The GS is a few thousandths longer. If you are interested in the specific numbers, I can put the calipers back on them and write the numbers down.

What is causing the actual feeding issue is the extremely short ogive of the GS bullet.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    man, these 42s all seem to shoot left
    I tend to push Glocks slightly left when I'm not doing slow-fire accuracy style shooting...just a function of how my hand interfaces with the pistol. It's even more exaggerated on the G42.
    3/15/2016

Mine shoots center. You guys need to lean to the right or something.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Mine shoots center. You guys need to lean to the right or something.
    You're pretty pleased with yourself, what with your non-defective J frames that hit point of aim and your non-mutant hands that don't push Glock shots to the left.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List