Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: When is it too soon to get on the trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    I used to do this too. Then after thinking it through I changed how I answered the door and eliminated the danger and changed the bootleg for my ready position.

If I might need a pistol when opening the door, then why open the door at all. Home invaders in my area try to get you to open it and then force their way in. If you don't open it then they may kick it in. I keep the pistol in my ready position and talk through the door from several feet away. If the answer is someone I know, I poke my face in front of the side window to confirm and then holster the pistol. No one ever knew I had the pistol drawn.

If they are selling me something (or are burglars just seeing if I'm home and are now telling me a passable story) I nicely and respectfully send them away without ever opening the door.
    I don't open the door; my front door has a peephole that I make judicious use of. I live in a "secure" building, where you theoretically need a key to get to the residential floors. If someone's knocking on my door, I check them out through the peephole with the gun in the bootleg position, then 99% of the time I don't open the door because it's usually a drunk who's lost and looking for Jenny or someone.

^This^ for the most part.

Except people knowing you are the po-po sometimes means they come looking for you, like the guy that got robbed and beat half to death one night and recalled that I lived close by.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    ^This^ for the most part.

Except people knowing you are the po-po sometimes means they come looking for you, like the guy that got robbed and beat half to death one night and recalled that I lived close by.....
    I can imagine that probably changes how you approach a lot of situations.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I don't open the door; my front door has a peephole that I make judicious use of. I live in a "secure" building, where you theoretically need a key to get to the residential floors. If someone's knocking on my door, I check them out through the peephole with the gun in the bootleg position, then 99% of the time I don't open the door because it's usually a drunk who's lost and looking for Jenny or someone.

Gotcha. If they can't see you then the idea of which ready position you use doesn't matter. Use the one that might get you into the gunfight the best for you.

Now I wear my holster all day. If you don't and are just answering the door while carrying a gun, then this is not bootleg but just having the pistol in hand. If that's the case I would just suggest your ready position. This devolves into a discussion such as the mental attitude of the police searching a building to confirm no one is there (because there has never been anyone there before) or searching a building to find the guy that is going to be there 1-3 times in your career. It looks very similar on video but is a world of difference when that bad guy is found those few times.

So are you carrying a pistol for that once in a life time chance that some idiot is going to kick your door in as you look through the peep hole or are you carrying a pistol with you in order to confirm that the person at your door is that package you've been waiting for? What you do on a day to day basis might be the difference of winning or losing the gunfight be you police or civilian.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

I'm carrying a gun because it's attached to the pants I put on.

I'm carrying a gun because it's attached to the pants I put on.
    Same here. So as I said, I think whatever your default ready position would be just as good as the bootleg? Not sure what the value of the bootleg?
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    Same here. So as I said, I think whatever your default ready position would be just as good as the bootleg? Not sure what the value of the bootleg?
    I think it's a hold-over from when I used to have a storm door and no peep-hole in the front. I had my regular front door, but exterior door was one of those tornado-resistant clear polymer shatterproof doors. So I'd have to answer that door a little more cautiously.

I think it's a hold-over from when I used to have a storm door and no peep-hole in the front. I had my regular front door, but exterior door was one of those tornado-resistant clear polymer shatterproof doors. So I'd have to answer that door a little more cautiously.
    Okay, that makes sense. My new house has a lot of glass so answering the door with pistol in hand would not make sense as it did in my old house. So I also had to change how I do it.

While interesting discussion, we're starting to drift a little too far off the topic of "When is it too soon to get on the trigger?"

"When is it too soon to get on the trigger?"
    I think "before the decision to fire has been made, and before the gun is muzzling a safe direction that would allow an unplanned shot to hit something we don't want a hole it." After that getting the finger on the trigger to make the shot that has been decided on is GTG.

I don't like the "when the sights are on target" train of thought because it disallows shooting from a high 2/retention position/from the ground in a weird injured shooter position using a laser/etc.

User Tag List