Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Trigger finger placement

I'd also like to thank you for this information. I'm trying to eliminate my left-shootitis, and I'm close to getting it. Your posts are definitely helpful, and I really appreciate them.

The single most common issue I hear with the Glock is shots going left (right hand shooter). When my shots with a Glock don't go where I want, they are almost always left. Yet, for example, with the Beretta 92, CZ SP01, and S&W 1066/1076, shots that don't go where I want are much more evenly distributed in direction versus almost always left with the Glock.

What is it about the Glock that induces this -- trigger design or something else?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The single most common issue I hear with the Glock is shots going left (right hand shooter). When my shots with a Glock don't go where I want, they are almost always left. Yet, for example, with the Beretta 92, CZ SP01, and S&W 1066/1076, shots that don't go where I want are much more evenly distributed in direction versus almost always left with the Glock.

What is it about the Glock that induces this -- trigger design or something else?
    For me the question is - does this happen only with Glocks, or with all striker-fired guns? So far, my answer seems to be the latter, but my sample size isn't large enough. And furthermore, it doesn't happen with me on all Glocks - I can shoot my 26 pretty straight, but my 17s and 19 go left. That would imply milking or something with my grip. Hence my interest in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Just my opinion, but I think a few things contribute to this. The pistol is much lighter than the others you list and the Glock grip is essentially a 2x4. It's not ergonomic and doesn't really "fit" your hand well. These things help make the Glock very sensitive to grip pressure. You will find a bunch of different opinions on how to grip, and one size doesn't fit all. For me, I shoot Glocks best with a neutral grip and when I don't try to muscle the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    For me the question is - does this happen only with Glocks, or with all striker-fired guns? So far, my answer seems to be the latter, but my sample size isn't large enough. And furthermore, it doesn't happen with me on all Glocks - I can shoot my 26 pretty straight, but my 17s and 19 go left. That would imply milking or something with my grip. Hence my interest in this thread.
    Yes I think the "magic" of the 26 is because it's short grip takes the deleterious effect of the little finger pretty much out of the equation and the ring finger partially also. I would not sure the grip extensions on a 26 if they were free. But I mostly shoot 17s or 19s.

I no longer miss left very often anymore and when I miss a 3x5 or 4x6 - observed in recent weeks with multiple 99 Drills - 90% of the misses are just a skosh low. I used the first joint of the trigger finger knuckle for a good while and got ok results but saw better results and more consistency when I backed this relatively long finger out a bit and use the 2/3 from the finger tip pad which I recalled Surf explaining in one of his videos.

My fingers are somewhat long and the backstrap anchors deep in the web of my hand. Contrary to some earlier advice I apply guidance passed on to me from the AMU which is to strive for straight front to back pressure from the front strap into the web of my hand. I've worked at the side to side pressure of a freestyle grip and had no success with it whatsoever.

In recent years I've shot to compare 92FS/C, Sig P226, 1911, and M&P to the level of several hundred to a couple thousand rounds. I actually find the 2x4 grip of the Glocks to anchor more solidly and true, especially from the draw and after a reload, than more curvy shapes. I found the USP to feel similiarly secure and I like that gun a lot however that was only across about 50 rounds. And I've never given the other platforms tens of thousands of rounds in the last decade as I have with Glocks which is surely a major factor.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Just my opinion, but I think a few things contribute to this. The pistol is much lighter than the others you list and the Glock grip is essentially a 2x4. It's not ergonomic and doesn't really "fit" your hand well. These things help make the Glock very sensitive to grip pressure. You will find a bunch of different opinions on how to grip, and one size doesn't fit all. For me, I shoot Glocks best with a neutral grip and when I don't try to muscle the gun.
    I might be unique, but I don't find the blocky shape of the Glock grip a detriment. While they are more sensitive to side pressure than some guns not only due to the grip but also due to the shape of the trigger shoe, when the Gen4's came out with the interchangeable backstraps I spent time evaluating my performance with each.

I came to the conclusion that the worst, most 2X4 feeling grip of them all, the large backstrap, gave me the best performance. With the thinner grips, I both was more likely to throw shots due to trigger finger placement and also had less frame contact with the meat of my support hand, giving me less recoil control and poor(er) sight tracking.

I find it hard other pistols to find the same size grip, which I (now) consider an asset. I do have large hands, however, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    I came to the conclusion that the worst, most 2X4 feeling grip of them all, the large backstrap, gave me the best performance.
    I found the same but also got some rad slide bite with the large insert which I think may have pushed my grip even higher if that was possible.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    We should avoid too much rear pressure on the backstrap from the shooting hands thumb.
    I realized I was doing this, so I went to the range and experimented with it at 50 yards. Key realization is that the ENTIRE thumb can exert unwanted pressure, from the root of the thumb at the center of the wrist all the way out to the thumbnail.

Both groups are a little under 4". Gun is a Gen3 G17 with a Wilson Combat barrel and an OEM (-) connector. Ammo is a 125-grain cast bullet over 4.4 grains of Unique in S&B cases with WW Small Pistol primers.

Chalk up another one for Surf.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I realized I was doing this, so I went to the range and experimented with it at 50 yards. Key realization is that the ENTIRE thumb can exert unwanted pressure, from the root of the thumb at the center of the wrist all the way out to the thumbnail.
    John, you are indeed hitting on the point with the thumb. If I establish my shooing grip another person can very easily move my primary shooting hands thumb around with little effort. Of course up close with a large acceptable hit zone, I can get away with less than stellar technique, trigger finger manipulation included, but as distance and precision increases the primary shooting hands thumb can wreak havoc on results and many don't understand this. It is basically what I mentioned in my previous post in regards to sympathetic hand movement. Not just the pressure or force exerted by the shooting hands thumb, but as pressure is exerted with the thumb, the rest of the grip (especially the ring and pinkie finger) tends to close with that thumb movement creating pressures that affect the neutrality of the grip. Most people don't even notice this as they fire, but it exists. Again up close, rapid fire, with larger acceptable hit zone, no problem or not nearly as noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

Both groups are a little under 4". Gun is a Gen3 G17 with a Wilson Combat barrel and an OEM (-) connector. Ammo is a 125-grain cast bullet over 4.4 grains of Unique in S&B cases with WW Small Pistol primers.

Chalk up another one for Surf.

Okie John
    With images this time.

Okie John

User Tag List