Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leupold Prismatic Tactical

Leupold Prismatic Tactical

I finally had to give up on Aimpoints.
    My astigmatism is to the point that a 4moa reflex dot looks like a 10moa cluster of fuzzy grapes.
    Since my Meopta K-dot illuminated reticle still looks perfectly crisp to me I started searching for an alternative.
    Enter the Leupold Prismatic Tactical.
    Battery life sucks compared to even old generation Aimpoints, but the etched reticle pretty much makes that irrelevant for my intended use as a general purpose non-magnified carbine optic.
    During the day illumination isn't required, at night it's just a quick button press away.
    I've been using one on a Colt 6920 M4 for a while now and the Leupold is built like a tank with no issues whatsoever.
    Adjustments are solid and repeatable and everything holds up under recoil and borderline abuse and neglect.
    I plan on sticking this same optic on my incoming H&K MR762 to see how it holds up to 7.62 recoil, at least until I can afford to buy a nice Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1x6 to mount up.

If you have astigmatism and have given up on Aimpoints, give the prismatic a try.
    Works for me anyway.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Do you have issues with iron sights on your pistol? My astigmatisms end up making me see two front sights quite often. Still trying to find the best way around that. They were bothering me so much at the IN Sectional USPSA match this weekend I ended up putting pasters on the inside of my left lense to allow me to see only one sight. That's not optimal in real life obviously. I'm looking for suggestions if you have any.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Oddly enough handgun sights (and carbine irons) are perfectly clear and sharp.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Oddly enough handgun sights (and carbine irons) are perfectly clear and sharp.
    Ok. Sorry to derail thread.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I have the same issue with RDS and tried the Prismatic too. Overall, I liked it but ended up going back to the Aimpoint.

The battery life wasn't so much an issue, but the one I had would kill a battery without ever being turned on. Sent it back to Leupold and they made it right.

The reticle is sharp and clear, but IMO the center dot is pretty large, limiting the usefulness of the otherwise excellent reticle for longer range/precision shots.

I'm currently using the Aimpoint Pro on a mid length 14.5". In combination with a Knights rear BUIS, I flip the BUIS up for longer range shots - viewing the dot through an aperture sharpens it up noticeably.

I would not feel disadvantaged with the Prismatic, though there doesn't seem to be much love for them out there.

I've got a bit of an astigmatism - in my very limited experience with one type or another of Trijicon RMR I thought the dot was much crisper than the Aimpoint. Anyone else have the same experience?

Leupold Prismatic Tactical

Interesting. Kind of reminds me of some Russian optics built for the side rails on Kalashnikovs. There's one that you may be familiar with called the PK-AS, which the Russians seem to simply refer to as a collimating sight. Part of it is wonderfully executed, and the other part is pretty miserably executed.

The design of the optic allows for what appears to the eye as a true 1x with no tube body. The reticle is etched and is a black circle with a black dot, which illuminates red.

Unfortunately when mounted, the "chin weld" is pretty bad, and the windage and elevation control layout is pretty crappy.

Jay, I had a PK-AS on a Kreb's rifle - you absolutely nailed it above.

For me an Aimpoint is an absolute no go, even the 2moa is far too fuzzy to use past 50 yards on anything smaller than a pie plate.
    Without magnification I'm "minute of trashcan" out past 300 yards anyway so the dot size won't hold me back on precision at all.
    A 6" "Shoot-N-C" at 100 yards is precision shooting for my eyes without magnification.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    If you have astigmatism and have given up on Aimpoints, give the prismatic a try.
    Works for me anyway.
    That would be me. This is a very valuable review for me.

And with monovision contact prescript, my irons look good too. But RMRs and T1s are just a mess. I see about a 12 MOA read smeared stripe across a 100 yard target.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List