Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leupold Prismatic Tactical

One thing I forgot in my initial post:
    The Prismatic is more 1x scope than reflex red dot, so while you still have pretty much unlimited eye relief directly behind the sight the lens will black out if you wander too far up down or side to side.
    It's not really noticeable unless you are in one of those really awkward positions with nothing resembling a cheek weld.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    If you have astigmatism and have given up on Aimpoints, give the prismatic a try.
    Works for me anyway.
    Quoted for truth. I don't know that I have an astigmatism, but I had laser corrective surgery over a decade ago now and since then any points of light become a blob of light. I wondered why I sucked so bad with my aimpoint, and then I threw a 1-4 vortex on my rifle and saw what a small dot actually looked like and about had a heart attack over what I had been missing. I figured this out about a year ago, and I was forced to be patient. The leupold was the only decent option at the time. I waited and vortex came out with their prismatic sights and I love them. No more blobs when I look through the sight, though I will say they are probably way heavier than the leupold prismatic.

There is something that feels really dirty about living just down the road from the leupold factory and ordering a vortex sight, but I drank the kool aid and love their stuff.

I knew what I was missing out on, I've been running a Meopta Meostar K-dot 1-4x on my 3-gun AR for a while now. The illuminated dot and crosshairs were well defined and crisp.
    I just didn't know there was a well built option in a straight 1x until I found the Prismatic.

Don't get me wrong, the Prismatic is not in the same class as a Aimpoint CompM4 when it comes to red dots.
    But for those who cannot use reflex sights due to astigmatism it's probably the best 1x out there.
    The Vortex is the best 1x- variable unless you can go full S&B Short Dot, my Meopta has been an awesome 1-4x illuminated variable though and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    But for those who cannot use reflex sights due to astigmatism it's probably the best 1x out there.
    Agreed, and isn't stupid-heavy like a lot 1-4/6/8X scopes are.

Thanks for posting. So far, I've been getting by with the Aimpoints, but I know at some point my eyes will get too bad. Nice to hear what others have gone through and to learn from their experiences.

Are you gents seeing as distorted a dot with the larger Aimpoint models as you are the T-1s? I get a very smeared blob of a dot with the Micros, especially with a magnifier, but not with an older M2 I have or with the M4s. With those I see a pretty crisp clear dot.

Jody, have you tried using the prismatic with a magnifier? Any impressions with it in that role?

I've been waiting to get hands on one of the new Trijicon SRSs also to see if it might also be an option for the astigmatism-ridden.

t

I just didn't know there was a well built option in a straight 1x until I found the Prismatic.But for those who cannot use reflex sights due to astigmatism it's probably the best 1x out there.

I agree. I have a Prismatic and I use it quite a bit as a 1X scope with the red dot off. I have it mounted on a Colt M4, LT6720-R.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Are you gents seeing as distorted a dot with the larger Aimpoint models as you are the T-1s?
    I do. I have astigmatic eyes and a Comp C. I get the blurry dot. Not as bad now that I got new specs made (with evidently better astigmatism correction). But let the eye wander a bit and the bloom comes back.

Interesting... I have long struggled with Aimpoints and EOTechs, went to variables, then settled on the compact 1.5x ACOG as a compromise. I'm currently trying Aimpoint again, but may have to finally check out the Leupold option.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Are you gents seeing as distorted a dot with the larger Aimpoint models as you are the T-1s? I get a very smeared blob of a dot with the Micros, especially with a magnifier, but not with an older M2 I have or with the M4s. With those I see a pretty crisp clear dot.

Jody, have you tried using the prismatic with a magnifier? Any impressions with it in that role?

I've been waiting to get hands on one of the new Trijicon SRSs also to see if it might also be an option for the astigmatism-ridden.

t
    Good observation taadski. My frustration has been with T1s on the range and RMRs in the store. But I just looked through an older M2 on the range on a buddy's rifle and the dot was pretty decent.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List