Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 Lovers, Geeks, 'Smiths - Advice on building a 1911?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Link? Or hint? Because I want to watch that.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvr1DpUZeng

Starts with this...ends badly.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Thanks both of you

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Thanks to everyone who has posted. I have a ton of reading to do now and what I have done so far is very insightful.

-Rob

Rob,

Here is my honest $0.02 on the topic. The link to my thread was already posted.

I sunk a LOT of money into my 1911 project. Considering I had to buy all tools from scratch and used premium parts, often buying seconds due to messing up frequently, it was costly. Then when you add in sending my project to a certifiable 1911 expert smith (Chuck Warner out of New Mexico) for finish work I COULD HAVE JUST BOUGHT A WILSON COMBAT.

You can make the job easier for yourself by using premium parts. For instance you mentioned Harrison custom parts. I recall his hammer, sears and disconnectors coming out just after I finished mine. Harrison stated on 1911 forum that no parts for a 1911 are drop in (everyone should no this by now) but the combination of my hammer and sear are as close as you'll get. Just an example of making things easy on yourself.

If I had it to do all over again I would have done one of the following:

1) just buy a wilson combat.

2) take a pistol smithing class from vickers or bob rogers, you'll spend more money but will have a better project as a result. Plus there's no substitute for working under the eye of a master.

Your mileage may vary.

Happy shooting

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpico1985 View Post

2) take a pistol smithing class from vickers or bob rogers, you'll spend more money but will have a better project as a result. Plus there's no substitute for working under the eye of a master.

Happy shooting
    I would absolutely recommend that option. That said, I didn't really have a lot of money when I built mine, but it is wise to consider, because the list of smiths who offer classes like that is not a list that is getting any larger. I've already decided to start putting some money away here and there and eventually get to a class while those guys are still teaching...

FWIW, I definitely didn't spend in the range of a brand new Wilson Combat, I'd say I probably spent enough to have bought a Les Baer...but again, I didn't do it because I wanted a 1911.

I wanted a gun that was my very own

Of course, my very own gun isn't going to win any beauty contests, but hey, neither am I

Guys thanks for everyone's contributions. After reading and reading on 1911Forum, 1911Pro, and your thread Serpico, and budgeting for the last couple of days...I think I have decided how to move forward. I'm going to put money in my savings account and buy more Beretta 92s and 3rd gen Smiths and then try to bribe Bill Riehl into working on them with the cash and high quality beer that I save not attempting to do something above my skill level

I know I could learn how to do this, but I also know it's right at my skill level to do it. I'm thinking I'll maybe try to find a machinist's school and try learning to run a mill and lathe, first. For some reason, I got into my head that building a 1911 was like building a Lego set. It's more like an advanced Lego set where the Legos don't really fit together and to be honest...I'm still having trouble with those Lego sets made for toddlers...

If anyone is interested LAV has agreed to run a 1911 Builders Class in NoVA if I can get some folks to commit and we can work a time for 2015.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

I think the big clue in BLR's post are the two comments 'you can't true without machine tools' and 'don't assume anything is true.' Of course you have to share Bill's opinion of the desired end result.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List