Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt LE 901 or equivalent.

I had an early DSA SA58c. It was a great rifle. But I couldn't live with the ergo's and mag changes. Also, mounting optics is a bit of a challenge if you require precision and repeatability.

Doc, could you please post or PM me info on what optics are failing? I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Shane

Site Supporter
    I've had good results with my Armalite AR-10B and SCAR-17.

The SCAR has a reputation for breaking Eo- Techs and not playing well with Larue mounts but aimpoints and good quality variable scopes have held up just fine. They are also hard on IR lasers.I started with an Aimpoint M4 and I'm currently running a trijicon 1.25-4 in an ADM mount without issue. Mag availability has mproved in the past year but other parts are harder to come by. It's light, accurate and reliable but you do give up some of the training / familiarity cross over of an AR pattern gun.

The early AR-10s, including mine, had some reliability issues. I sent mine back for the factory update and it has run 100% since.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd look at the S&W M&P 10 or the new Armalite AR10A ( the one that takes PMAGS) and add the trigger and free float hand guard of my choice.

The Colt is nice but has a lot of proprietary parts. It's a bit on the heavy side and you are wedded to the 1913 quad rail.

I have a 901 and another enroute. One is filling a DMR roll and will likely get a full stock if I can do it. The other will be getting a COmp M4 and 3X magnifier. That one will also be getting a 5.56mm upper with a Aimpoint T1 or T2. For me it is an easy choice. My LaRue Ranger rifle is wonderous, but is worth too much now to shoot. I need a total beater. An under 2 grand gun that I can caliber convert made by a pretty established company that takes PMAGS is perfect. Heck, I can even get a 7.62 x 39 "Yemeni" upper for it. Weight isn't a big deal to me as I am driving it in a vehicle and not "humping it". Mine has been reliable and a good shooter and I have no complaints. I think it is really good bang for the buck. I really wanted a MR762, but can't justify the money. The LMT was also on my choice list. I still have FAL's and 91's, but the 901 better fulfills what I am actually looking for these days.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    That one will also be getting a 5.56mm upper with a Aimpoint T1 or T2.
    That right there was one of the reasons I bought mine. A little derp and the corner of my tin foil hat are going to show through here, but I bought mine post Aurora but pre Sandyhook. My line of thinking was that if legislation was passed limiting or banning rifles, I would have a rifle that I could convert to multiple calibers. At least that's how I sold my wife on it. The Ambi mag and bolt releases are proprietary, and god help my credit card if Colt offers an upper with Keymod instead of 1913 rails because of how much lighter it would be, but if I could own only one rifle from now until forever, it would be a 901. I had a FAL a decade ago and gladly sold it because I couldn't shoot it due to a congenital shoulder injury, but the 901 shoots soft enough for me to tolerate it.

I had an M&P10 for a while, & while I can't vouche for it long term, it was sub MOA @ 100yds & seemed well built. I'd trust it for a gen purpose rifle.

I put down a deposit on a 901.
    Went to fill out the 4473 and changed my mind.
    H&K MR762 will be here Friday.
    I really wanted the H&K when I "settled" for the Colt. Decided to suck it up and spend the money and be happy.
    I still think the Colt is a great rifle, just not what I really wanted.
    Life's too short to save money.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    H&K MR762 will be here Friday.

Life's too short to save money.
    $3200 buy-it-now....
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=441335744#PIC
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Yes... they are stupidly expensive, have stupidly expensive magazines and parts are stupidly expensive.

But dammit. I want one.

Good thing my boy wants to be a BP Agent instead of a Doctor because I'm spending his college money on a H&K rifle.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I need a total beater. An under 2 grand gun... made by a pretty established company that takes PMAGS is perfect. .

That was my initial intention; for the same reasons.

But then Jody has to pipe up, and feel HIS logic too.

I'm so confused...

User Tag List