Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Death of the snubbie?

Death of the snubbie?

It does.

This is giving me ideas for the range this weekend.

Edit to clarify: IIRC the FS and compacts have different recoil spring assemblies but they are both standard and not dual sprung.

I obviously wouldn't think the snubbie is dead, because I carry one when I don't carry a full size revolver. There are things you can do with a snub gun that you can't do with an auto, like fire it through a coat pocket multiple times. For people like me who live near the wall, this ability alone keeps the snub relevant.

The other issue with pistols, regardless of what spring, is that the brass has to have somewhere to go. Bouncing back into the ejection port, or not even clearing the port, is common in situations where the gun is fired close in to the body and things are moving chaotically.

As noted in a previous post, as a primary firearm the snubbie revolver is indeed dead to me.

While a compact pistol using the same magazines as the duty pistol is my preferred first BUG for carry in uniform, as an alternate uniform BUG and for civilian CCW, I find there is no better choice than a LW snubbie revolver for versatile carry in a pocket, ankle, chest, appendix, or underarm.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

We're issued PX4's (must be carried in uniform). I carry a 442 as a BUG because there's nothing subcompact about a subcompact PX4.

Since I don't wear a uniform daily, I EDC a Glock 19 with my 442 as my BUG.

JR1572

I don't think the snubbie concept will ever "die"... there are too many folks who still want them.

No doubt that some of the latest small semi-autos are better for a primary carry piece, because they are easier to hit well with at a distant target.

I use a small handgun for a secondary piece; and in that role, I'm staying with the J frame snubby because its a lot more likely to deliver all of its rounds in an EQC/contact encounter.

Yeah, until something else replicates the j-frame's combination of size, weight, footprint/ease of concealment, punch, and near-absolute reliability I don't think they're going anywhere.

Have A 642. Pocket carry doesn't work for me with it. Wasn't sure really what to do with it after that. Got a DSG appendix holster for it and that valapidated both the gun and the carry position for me, albeit only when combined.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Got a DSG appendix holster for it and that valapidated both the gun and the carry position for me, albeit only when combined.
    To this day that is the only gun/holster combo that I've successfully and comfortably carried AIWB.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I tried to buy a snubby online this morning. Somebody beat me to it by 20 minutes or half an hour.
    Not the only time this has happened lately, either.

Makes me wonder if reports of the demise of the breed might be somewhat exaggerated.

User Tag List