Page 43 of 69 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Descending to AR15.com status

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Disagreeing with an SME is fine. Arguing back and forth over the same thing repeatedly is not. SMEs are SMEs for a reason. Every time a member is allowed to have a pissing match with an SME, we tend to lose that SME at least temporarily. That's a loss for the forum overall.

It's just a very slippery slope. Where do you draw the line? SMEs have specific qualifications regarding background, industry influence, and forum behavior. Also, there is a formal process by which potential SMEs are identified and asked to join the group (or not).

There are plenty of knowledgable guys who don't have all those qualifications. "I shoot good" isn't what the SME title is meant to encompass. I think the cream of the members tend to rise to the top regardless of the SME title or not. Trying to identify those guys without hurt feelings for those who aren't chosen isn't worth the damage, IMO.

Already exists. It's the Reference Section. Very few threads have been added because frankly, no one ever asks. We'd be more than happy to populate that section more heavily.

As for the main thread itself, I'll be honest I haven't read 99% of this thread. Derp comes and goes. There is no way to have a popular forum without attracting derp from time to time. It's the Staff's job to locate it and minimize it when possible. Also remember that the Romper Room section in particular is "lightly moderated."

As far as the cussing rule, that is 100% on my shoulders and if enough people hate it, the Staff can decide to get rid of it. But I've managed 44 years of writing business emails and school papers without dropping F-bombs every third word. In my experience, too many people on the internet equate creative swearing with intelligence or experience. Also in my opinion, most professionals don't swear like sailors (nothing personal, sailors) when they're in a professional atmosphere. And that's the atmosphere we're trying to maintain around here.

Todd, first, glad to see you post on this. I don't have a problem with the SME's or the way they behave on this forum, just mildly stating that I'd hate to see P-F go the route some places have.

As far as the "special posters" I mentioned, I wasn't specifically saying they should be full on SME's, and I do honestly see how it could be a slippery slope. Mostly, I was thinking that it could be helpful for newer posters to see something that indicated "this guy knows his stuff" for those who don't have the SME tag.

I wish the reference section were more active, and I'd honestly forgotten about it because it's been "dead" for so long. It could be a great resource. Maybe staff could see if some of the upper tier members would like to contribute to it, I dunno, just batting around ideas and asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    This is exactly what I see. For what it's worth, RevolverRob has struck me as nothing other than a good guy, and, as he said himself, I think the comments he made were stated without sufficient context, due not to his willful ignorance, but due to a technical malfunction.

Rob: I don't know you, but please don't make me look like a co-conspirator.
    I saw DocGKR posted it several pages ago, but so there is no confusion, and no one else left in the dark I'll put it here. This is what is a matter of public record, without standing NDA's:

22+ years LE and Mil SOF experience.

10 Combat deployments to:

Somalia (2)
    Afghanistan (3)
    Iraq (4)
    Libya

Other assignments during my extensive "down time" have been:

Hand picked by two MAJCOM (Major Command) Commanders to be the current "Close Quarters Combat & Urban Combat Intructor" for an East Coast Special Operations Command.

Previously the "Tactical Shooting Instructor" for same organization.

Led 25 SOF Snipers during Counter-Sniper/Counter IED operations in Sadr City, Iraq 2008. (Yeah, the same one so eloquently put into print in "American Sniper")

Two years as the primary Combat Systems Officer for RDT&E (Research, Development, Testing, & Evaluation) during procurement of the SCAR weapons system, the NSW Precision Sniper Rifle System, and 3 new suppressors for current isse SOPMOD weapons (Navy SEALs & SWCC, USA SF & Rangers, USAF CCT & PJs, and even MARSOC). Still sought out by the Weapons Signature Reduction and SCAR program offices at US SOCOM and NSWC-Crane for Subject Matter Expert advice on modifications, additions, or replacement equipment; still actively participating in all testing events. If I want to or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
    And I think Todd's absence is more of a drag on Todd than the rest of us. And when he's ready I would love to see Todd come back as well, because I agree with NickA that the forum runs cleaner and better when he's present. However, that is not my first thought when I think about TLG. ETA: Good to see you back. Even if it's briefly
    Kimura - of course I'm not insinuating that our PF issues are more important than Todd's issues, just pointing out how it affects the forum.
    At the end of the day we can't do much, but in his absence we can at least keep Todd's place running the way he would like until his return.
    That said I'm not making much sense today so I'm out, gonna go try to look busy since Todd is nosing around.
    Great to hear from you Todd!

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    SME: what are you suggesting, SME Lite, SME in Training, Gold Star Poster? The more people try to differentiate posters the more of a joke it becomes. Let the content do the talking. OrigamiAK will get his due, as will anyone else who feels slighted for some reason or another.
    I don't feel slighted. I don't really think that's what you're saying, though it kind of sounds like it. Just wanted to clarify that I don't feel that way.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Thread drift... I am as much to blame as anyone but I think if CCLaxton could shut his god damned mouth about IDPA for once it wouldn't be the joke it has become.
    OMG! My kids just came and checked on me I LOL'd so damn loud!

ETA: Welcome back TLG!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I saw DocGKR posted it several pages ago, but so there is no confusion, and no one else left in the dark I'll put it here. This is what is a matter of public record, without standing NDA's:

22+ years LE and Mil SOF experience.

10 Combat deployments to:

Somalia (2)
    Afghanistan (3)
    Iraq (4)
    Libya

Other assignments during my extensive "down time" have been:

Hand picked by two MAJCOM (Major Command) Commanders to be the current "Close Quarters Combat & Urban Combat Intructor" for an East Coast Special Operations Command.

Previously the "Tactical Shooting Instructor" for same organization.

Led 25 SOF Snipers during Counter-Sniper/Counter IED operations in Sadr City, Iraq 2008. (Yeah, the same one so eloquently put into print in "American Sniper")

Two years as the primary Combat Systems Officer for RDT&E (Research, Development, Testing, & Evaluation) during procurement of the SCAR weapons system, the NSW Precision Sniper Rifle System, and 3 new suppressors for current isse SOPMOD weapons (Navy SEALs & SWCC, USA SF & Rangers, USAF CCT & PJs, and even MARSOC). Still sought out by the Weapons Signature Reduction and SCAR program offices at US SOCOM and NSWC-Crane for Subject Matter Expert advice on modifications, additions, or replacement equipment; still actively participating in all testing events. If I want to or not.
    So, I 'spose this means you think you know something about shooting rifles?
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Happy to see Todd posting again. Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    I don't feel slighted. I don't really think that's what you're saying, though it kind of sounds like it. Just wanted to clarify that I don't feel that way.
    I didn't think you did, it was a good example though.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I'm new here, but I get the point of the OP. I joined because I recognized some names here and I wanted to ask a mag question. I got answers from people with a lot of rounds through them. Mission accomplished and good so far.

I didn't notice SME labels and had to look up all possible abbreviations to figure out what it was (there are many humorous possibilities), but it was pretty obvious who has it in one rucksack and who doesn't.

Kitten. Without looking it up I figured out it's the dumbest thing I've ever seen on a forum. It's like your old maid aunt trying to use an exclamation without saying the F word. Say it with or without profanity, but skip the stupid euphemisms.

I'm under no illusion about who I am or my capabilities. I've been beaten by big names at matches, and trained by big names at schools. I spent years of my life on SWAT, but now I'm a middle aged guy who still carries guns. I think there is something to learn here and the ratio of knowledge to bullshit is still fairly high. I'm not here to argue with anybody, but when I see "Dropped in Iraq..." threads I cringe and can't stop myself from being a dick.

TLG, it is great to see you back to the computer!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List