Page 36 of 69 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Descending to AR15.com status

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    That's how it comes across to them though.

I could without knowing your branch talk about PTSD in a negative light (I have friends that have dealt with PTSD). I could gripe about how troops get preferential treatment these days compared to old (I don't feel that way). I could gripe about how our military wastes billions of dollars a year.

I could complain about military members killing innocents, I could complain about a million other things that you didn't do or weren't associated with. Except perhaps share a uniform; you'd be right to say that's BS.

But somehow, when it's cops it's easy to do because they're a minority and almost anyone has heard of a bad experience or had one with LE. What do you offer them? "Get thicker skin", "I know you didn't do it, but here's a reminder of what some guy did and how it's messed up."

It gets old and I think the LE Forum isn't the place for a band wagoning the latest "thing" some guy did out "there".

It's not productive. The LE sentiment in this thread seems to indicate they don't feel welcome anymore or if they wanted drama; they'd have worked the weekend.
    I concur on everything you said about the LE forum but usually, the first person to bag on the troops screwing up is military.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Except Rob that this is basically Todd's forum, and thus his rules. He doesn't want the use of the F word on his forum then I don't do it. Nor would I come to his house, cuss in front of his wife and such and disrespect him in that manner without the expectation that I might be asked to leave.
    It is obviously his forum, but I dislike the "house" analogy. It's not a house. and even if it once was, it's gone from being a house, to a B&B, to a full-on hotel.

like I said, I don't object to the "kitten" thing and I think it's a great solution.

Perhaps you need to start your own forum?
    why don't you ask Sean the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    That's how it comes across to them though.
    I know. That's why I try to seek the high road and find the middle ground. It may not seem that way sometimes, but I do try.

I could without knowing your branch talk about PTSD in a negative light (I have friends that have dealt with PTSD). I could gripe about how troops get preferential treatment these days compared to old (I don't feel that way). I could gripe about how our military wastes billions of dollars a year.

I could complain about military members killing innocents, I could complain about a million other things that you didn't do or weren't associated with. Except perhaps share a uniform; you'd be right to say that's BS.
    Honestly, I wouldn't take it personally, and more than likely I would agree with you on most accounts. I'm easily as critical of the military, the myriad screw-ups, and things that I think need to be corrected.

But somehow, when it's cops it's easy to do because they're a minority and almost anyone has heard of a bad experience or had one with LE. What do you offer them? "Get thicker skin", "I know you didn't do it, but here's a reminder of what some guy did and how it's messed up."

It gets old and I think the LE Forum isn't the place for a band wagoning the latest "thing" some guy did out "there".

It's not productive. The LE sentiment in this thread seems to indicate they don't feel welcome anymore or if they wanted drama; they'd have worked the weekend.
    I really try not to do that. The threads I've posted in the LE area are meant to generate conversation and give officers the opportunity to help educate people/citizens. I may have posted a few inflammatory remarks but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

You make some very valid points and I've considered many of them before. I don't know if there's an easy answer. I appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I have yet to see a single peace officer on this forum request a forum for the purposes of talking about how much we hate people.
    Yea, everybody knows I hate people. Pretty much all of them equally. I do like puppies and unicorns.

For those commenting on cop or mil stuff.......if you saw it on TV or a movie, it is probably good to start with assuming the information is tainted or outright wrong. The problem is that LE rarely airs it's gripes in public. Anyone concerned about the number of LE killed and injured and often with little consequence to the criminals. Society generally could care less. Shooting dogs. Similar numbers of our K9's killed, stabbed and assaulted to the number of mainly pit bulls over 20 years. Any specials on TV about that.....crickets. Most folks have a 5 minute care about police dogs, and even less for cops. Of course, actual outrage for a K9 funeral. The post I lost my mind over was about an agency that had just had an officer and K9 killed and was buying new armor.

Now, before anyone types "well that isn't me"......well, the crap many are posting on isn't "us" (the current and former LEO's posting here). Except for the one time it was "one of us".....and the Internet and some members here showed their collective asses.

SME status. Long over it. I didn't meet the standard here and really kind of glad in the end. Just another posting dude like everyone else who is an average shooter that wears a fanny pack. Only difference is actually having put the training to actual use. I learned a lot in the process and "think" others my find what I learned mildly interesting in terms of shooting. Truthfully, in regards to pistol shooting...and shooting in general, Wayne Dobbs is probably the most under utilized SME here. Notice his participation is also way down. THAT dude is an encyclopedia of genius gun stuff.

When this thread is done, I may still go back to read only. Someone will be along quickly to fill the seat. With that said I hope the direction the forum decides to go I hope it meets the needs of the participants. (Note: that was heartfelt and not sarcastic)
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 09-15-2014 at 02:18 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    It is obviously his forum, but I dislike the "house" analogy. It's not a house. and even if it once was, it's gone from being a house, to a B&B, to a full-on hotel.
    Hotels charge. This is more like a flop house.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I just updated my bio. I'm usually a very private person, so it is a sign of my great respect for Todd and this forum for me to do this. I've known Todd since the early days of IDPA. People who know me are aware of my accomplishments and that has been OK with me.

Like some others, I just click on new posts when I'm on the forum. I don't usually pay any attention to what sub forum it is in. When I see derp I just ignore it and don't read it.

I don't see a whole lot wrong with P-F especially if compared to other sites. Sure there's some derp. Just ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I concur on everything you said about the LE forum but usually, the first person to bag on the troops screwing up is military.
    Everyone who is currently serving or has served in your beloved Corps served in the same Corp. Not everyone who has worn a badge has served in my respective agencies.

All poodles are dogs, but not all dogs are poodles.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    I know. That's why I try to seek the high road and find the middle ground. It may not seem that way sometimes, but I do try.

Honestly, I wouldn't take it personally, and more than likely I would agree with you on most accounts. I'm easily as critical of the military, the myriad screw-ups, and things that I think need to be corrected.

I really try not to do that. The threads I've posted in the LE area are meant to generate conversation and give officers the opportunity to help educate people/citizens. I may have posted a few inflammatory remarks but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

You make some very valid points and I've considered many of them before. I don't know if there's an easy answer. I appreciate the feedback.
    I've got my faults too and I will admit that.

I ramble a lot, edit posts too much, I'm probably obnoxious at times. It's not my intention, just how I am. I see you're the same way.

Thank you for taking my feedback so well; feel free to do the same to me.

I've been arguing with rob_s since the 1911 sub forum in ar15.com as a teenager. He's honestly turned over a new leaf in someways; he's blunt but I think like LL and Jay. People can change and he seems to be improving.

Just my .02$

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    This place has been a treasure for me because of the quality of information.... I just want to be able to read and learn. As much as I would like to, I can't take a class once a week. More like once a year. In the meantime... this is the only resource I have for improving my skill/knowledge. It's valuable and why I want to be a site supporter.
    I agree completely. Most of the people who really know their stuff have no idea how valuable their insights can be. Relative to some of the people in this forum, I barely know which end the bullet comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    A someone who sometimes does get paid to teach (my employer considers me a SME in my field which has nothing to do with firearms or shooting), I see both sides. I try to err on the side of being too nice, leaving the smackdown for those cases where the progress is not being made.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post
    Yeah um... I'm here to learn and share a little info when I can.
    So if anyone thinks what I have said is dumb I want to know about it, thats how you learn.

You don't know what you don't know.
    ^These. I'm working on my third degree in my field of expertise, and I say stupid things in that context all the time. If no one corrected me, I'd come across as more of an over-educated idiot than I actually am.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    And if I get kicked the fuck out for swearing too much? Or (again) if someone is offended......... Guess how many fucks I give........
    I treat profanity like I treat accents: It's just how some people talk, and I give it no further consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Feel free to say motherfucker in this thread.

It's The Airing of the Grievances.
    Motherfucker.

User Tag List