Page 42 of 69 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Descending to AR15.com status

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    For those who don't know........JV has met me in person........
    First time I read that I thought it said "has met me in prison" and I thought JV has been in prison? You, on the other hand...

Site Supporter
    It's good to see you here, Todd! Derp and all!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Since we are picking scabs, I'll pick a really, really big one:

Your one or two weekend classes do not qualify you to discuss tactics on an equal footing with someone who has had more training in a month than you have had in a lifetime and who has actually used their training repeatedly while you went back to your job where you get fired if you show up with a gun. If that smacks of the infamous printer repair comment or whatever it was then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    On a local forum, I got lectured with the "stay in your lane" in reference to a comment that I made about team tactics in a certain class.

The comment came from an individual who had no military or LE experience and his basis for knowledge was a few weekend classes that he had taken. In another instance, a very nice gentleman who works in a field that has absolutely nothing to do with firearms and tactics tried to tell me how I should be doing something based on the single weekend class he took from a noted instructor.

While I am no SME and no master operator, I dare say I am far more experienced in the subject matter than the individuals in the above two examples. By the same token, I have no experience or training that would qualify to debate how to take down a ship with someone like Sean M.

As for concealed carry, what would narcs and undercover cops and ninja smoke .mil guys know about such things?
    IMO, this is a by product of growth experienced within the training industry. This has been prevalent in the martial arts industry for years. I'm old enough to remember when there were a billion schools and experts, less than half of which were legit. I'm old enough to remember when no one cared. And now we're back to, schools everywhere and everyone is an expert in something or other. And when someone renders what I view as an uninformed opinion, I always want to know what their actual experience level is.

I think people need to be reminded about credentials/experience or lack there of. It's a sort of reality check. Nothing wrong or impolite about it. We need reminding sometimes. And I don't know what you did about the situation in the second post I quoted, but giving that person a gentle "lack of real world experience" reminder wouldn't have been a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    To me, there are the people who are ignorant as in not knowing but trying to get educated and the willfully stupid. My belief is that the former outnumber the latter by an order of magnitude. So making people who make a mistake feel stupid is counterproductive as those people leave no more knowledgeable than when they arrived -- and they will leave when insulted. You also see others who do not understand the issue, but see that one guy went ballistic on another for what appears to be a very minor (or no) issue. Those guys who follow then do not ask their question or articulate their thoughts.

As someone who sometimes does get paid to teach (my employer considers me a SME in my field which has nothing to do with firearms or shooting), I see both sides. I try to err on the side of being too nice, leaving the smackdown for those cases where the progress is not being made.
    There's a huge difference between someone who is making mistakes trying to learn and those who want to impart their tactical expertise from watching movies and or taking three LAV classes. I won't argue with a guy who has done it over and again for real. I might ask questions from my knowledge base in relation to what they're saying, but argue that I'm right; oh no.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I would like a section where useful information can be obtained concerning training and gear decisions. There is a lot of relevant info for everyone there. Romper room talks about pets and open carry should be killed ASAP.

If someone wants a non-visible shop talk forum that's fine but it would be a shame to lose the good stuff.
    Gear and training topics is what the LE section should be about. I don't generally read the "I hate LEO" threads and I don't generally read the "I love LEO" threads. I don't need someone critiquing something they read in the news. I read it too and unless you have more information than I do, I don't need to read how you think they did the wrong or even the right thing. I do enjoy reading when someone from within the LE OR MIl community has some information I don't and they share their opinions based on ALL of the circumstances. Equally, I can do without the "you're dropped in X place with a pistol, which one" threads because those are ridiculous by almost anyone's standard. So I avoid those as well.

Having said that, I do realize that it's a forum and everyone gets to say what they think, so I just basically avoid those threads.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    You see that is the problem, if you aren't military in a fighting role or an LE officer they automatically dismiss your opinion with "Stay in your lane." Never mind the fact that virtually all the major improvements to shooting come from outside those communities. And it is probably why LF has very low percentage of non-gear posts about shooting.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone dismisses "shooting" information or opinions from anyone else on this forum. I think it becomes an issue when people with no real world fight experience start talking about tactics and or mindset. It doesn't make sense to me when someone presents themselves as an expert in something when the sum total of their experience comes from a movie or a speech on the subject from whoever their favorite trainer is.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    re:moderation. Early on the tone was set that mods would handle any derpiness or bad behavior. There were LOTs of (sometimes snarky sounding) "Staff will handle this, stay in your lane" posts whenever members would try to self-regulate. Also TLG was pretty much omnipresent back then and would usually jump in, so self-regulation never really became a thing here. I get the feeling that some of the mods have become distracted or disinterested, or just overloaded (certainly understandable, esp regarding Tom and Todd) and shit has been slipping by. Maybe it's due to Todd's absence, which has definitely sucked the wind out of PF. I imagine it's even more of a drag for the staff, who are mostly personal friends with Todd.
    Yeah, I will just say that I've seen a few "Staff will handle this" posts in certain threads. Maybe you should just handle it and once you do, just write something like "OK, back on track now" or whatever. IMO, that's better solution. And I think Todd's absence is more of a drag on Todd than the rest of us. And when he's ready I would love to see Todd come back as well, because I agree with NickA that the forum runs cleaner and better when he's present. However, that is not my first thought when I think about TLG. ETA: Good to see you back. Even if it's briefly

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    One problem I have with Mr. Riehl is when he points out something that 99% of us wouldn't know and doesn't give even a brief explanation of what, why or how. I understand that he's a potential wealth of knowledge, but leaves more questions than answers at times with no place for me to find the potential answers. I wish PM's were even an option but they are typically full for him.

H&K fanyboyism on this site has been getting slightly out of hand, but I just ignore those posts now.

Just my derpy opinions with run on sentences...
    LOL. Yeah I like the Bill Riehl threads a lot, but he sometimes needs to explain to me what I'm looking at because I don't have any idea. I want to learn, but a bunch of pictures with no text just makes me go huh?

HK fanboyism? M4 had a VP9 lovefest for weeks. This is nothing by comparison.

Glad to see you posting todd!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

Welcome back, TLG!!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    @ToddG Holy, uh... kitten! Hope you've been doing well!

Site Supporter
    Todd G- it's great to see you back - even if it's just for a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    We've picked up 13 new site supporters so far. I haven't kept track of who's matching what, but it's $325 to rampageforthecure.org from PF.
    I'm in on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Rob: I don't know you, but please don't make me look like a co-conspirator.
    Please let the record show that I do not know Chance from Adam, or Sean M for that matter, and he is not my co-conspirator in anything that I am currently or in the past have conspired to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    We've picked up 13 new site supporters so far. I haven't kept track of who's matching what, but it's $325 to rampagedorthecure.org from PF.
    Excellent and I am happy that many positive things have come from this thread.
    __

Todd, I am glad to see you back, even if only temporary. I hope that you are well and it's good to see your humor here.

Finally, I will follow the motto from my signature in hopes that it, personally, reminds me to derp less, something I could benefit from in my life in general.

-Rob

So, not sure if this has been asked before as this thread has blown up and I'm lazy. I don't post much due to not wanting to step on toes and also because I don't have extensive experience. I just like to shoot and I'm ok at it. How should someone like me approach this so that I can have fun and participate but not make the place too derpy?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

User Tag List